Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2008, 11:57   #16
BHPian

IMO the car would be the same as we have seen. This exercise as pointed out already would be for the 'new experts' to keep the promised cost and margins
Old 24th March 2008, 14:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Don't expect the price tag to come down. This is only to increase the wafer thin margins, if any, on the base variant.
True. When asked if the price of Nano will be reduced after the recent excise duty reduction from 16% to 12% on small cars, Tata had replied in the negative.
Old 24th March 2008, 16:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Well its just a blog with no authority... I wonder why are we taking this so seriosuly! I wonder if Mr. Ravi kant has given exclusive tip off to these guys as I havent heard about it anywhere. If this indeed was the case, it would have been in news all day.
Old 24th March 2008, 18:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonkayar View Post
When people first heard of a 1 Lakh car, similar comments flowed. But Ratan proved big time and in fact the car looks and feels much better than a 2 lakh car. I would not be surprised if they can make the OTR to 1 Lakh by sheer engineering excellence. They are capable.
Yes but Ratan always talked about a 1 lakh car. The OTR cost of the Nano is quite a bit more than 1 lakh. So what has he proved ?

Also where is the engineering excellence ? Is there anything innovative or radical in the design which benefits consumers or reduces costs ?

It is a simple car with simple mechanics. There is nothing more to it.
Old 24th March 2008, 19:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Would not be surprised if they come up with 1-two seater version, 2-Chassis Version (nothing inside), 3-something with a chetak engine. God Knows what else, as said earlier, not released, already price cutting.!!!
Old 24th March 2008, 19:26   #21
BHPian

I really can't see anything they can omit to bring it down.
Old 24th March 2008, 19:37   #22
BHPian

Maybe they could offer the car for a "Base price" of 50K, tyres, gear box, seats all optional extras???
Old 24th March 2008, 19:44   #23
BHPian

yo BIGMAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Yes but Ratan always talked about a 1 lakh car. The OTR cost of the Nano is quite a bit more than 1 lakh. So what has he proved ?

Also where is the engineering excellence ? Is there anything innovative or radical in the design which benefits consumers or reduces costs ?

It is a simple car with simple mechanics. There is nothing more to it.
@bigman - i think you should really give a good thought before you type something. do you ANY idea what it takes to make a car within a budget of 1 lakh???

have you done any sort of homework before you made that statement??? it maybe as simple as an ox-cart but not like anyone else bothered to take a stab at it...... now look..... everyone is eyeing to make a nano-clone...... bajaj has already worked out their basics...... maruti seems to have soemthing on the boards.......

so please ...... THINK before you TYPE!
Old 24th March 2008, 20:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
@bigman - i think you should really give a good thought before you type something. do you ANY idea what it takes to make a car within a budget of 1 lakh???

have you done any sort of homework before you made that statement??? it maybe as simple as an ox-cart but not like anyone else bothered to take a stab at it...... now look..... everyone is eyeing to make a nano-clone...... bajaj has already worked out their basics...... maruti seems to have soemthing on the boards.......

so please ...... THINK before you TYPE!
No homework needed. Maybe you should be asking Rattan if he did any homework before claiming TATA would make a 1 lakh car.

Did Ratan boast say they would make a 1 lakh car ...yes. Have they done it ? NO.

Will you be able to buy any form of NANO for 1 lakh OTR ? NO

I hope people would stop pretending it is some sort of engineering miracle and constantly referring to it as the 1 lakh car. Its a bit farcical when even the bog standard model costs well in excess of 1 lakh.

I think some people are guilty of onanism when it comes to this imaginary 1 lakh car.
Old 24th March 2008, 20:53   #25
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No homework needed. Maybe you should be asking Rattan if he did any homework before claiming TATA would make a 1 lakh car.

Did Ratan boast say they would make a 1 lakh car ...yes. Have they done it ? NO.

Will you be able to buy any form of NANO for 1 lakh OTR ? NO

I hope people would stop pretending it is some sort of engineering miracle and constantly referring to it as the 1 lakh car. Its a bit farcical when even the bog standard model costs well in excess of 1 lakh.

I think some people are guilty of onanism when it comes to this imaginary 1 lakh car.
TATA's have applied for patents for new processes and designs involved in Nano making in several countries to protect their Intellectual property. AFAIK one can apply for patent only if it is new( product or process).

on what basis your are claiming that it is not an achievement? if it is so why none of the auto companies are able to make it so far?

What were the prices of steel and other inputs when Ratan TATA said it will be One lakh and what are prices of steel and other inputs now?

what are prices of other cars when TATA talked about 1 lakh car and what their prices now? are they stationary since then?

if they are not stationary why only TATA has to keep prices of their cars stationary?

Even now he has kept his promise ? he never said the price of 1 lakh will On Road price.

when a auto company says the price, it is Ex show room only?

NANO is also 1 lakh Ex show room. so what is wrong there.

Or do you have seperate set of rules for TATA that say they can price their cars only on road not ex show room like others

Bosch is making smallest CRDI for NANO as per their own admission. does it not qualify as new?

many of the partners in this project were sceptical at first but joined when TATA demonstrated to them that it is possible

try to be objective and give credit when it is due
Old 24th March 2008, 22:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TATA's have applied for patents for new processes and designs involved in Nano making in several countries to protect their Intellectual property. AFAIK one can apply for patent only if it is new( product or process).
I could hire a patent attorney and file applications for 20 patents in the morning. Until the patents are granted they mean nothing.

Quote:
on what basis your are claiming that it is not an achievement? if it is so why none of the auto companies are able to make it so far?
No other company saw a need for it and looked at the commercial drawbacks.

Quote:
What were the prices of steel and other inputs when Ratan TATA said it will be One lakh and what are prices of steel and other inputs now?
It would be a breakthrough if they had used innovation and made the car out of something less sensitive to fluctuations like steel. If Rattan was so confident about his 1 lakh car he could easily have got futures contracts for the steel etc years ago. I guess he was not confident and his hunch has paid off as the car is not priced at 1 lakh.

Quote:
what are prices of other cars when TATA talked about 1 lakh car and what their prices now? are they stationary since then?
Just like you do not call a pencil a pen don't call it the 1 lakh car then.

Quote:
if they are not stationary why only TATA has to keep prices of their cars stationary?
The selling point for the car was the mooted 1 lakh price.

Quote:
Even now he has kept his promise ? he never said the price of 1 lakh will On Road price.

NANO is also 1 lakh Ex show room. so what is wrong there.
The price for dealers is also above 1 lakh.

Quote:
Or do you have seperate set of rules for TATA that say they can price their cars only on road not ex show room like others
No I would apply the same standard if Hindustan Motors, Ford, VW or anyone else said they were going to make a 1 lakh car.

Quote:
Bosch is making smallest CRDI for NANO as per their own admission. does it not qualify as new?
Is that the only example of engineering excellence you can give for the NANO. If it is then the credit for that goes to Bosch not TATA.

Quote:
try to be objective and give credit when it is due
I give credit where credit it due and not based on jingoism type attachment to a company just because it is Indian. If TATA had produced a 1 lakh car I would give them credit but this is not the 1 lakh car. It is 50K too expensive to be called the 1 lakh car.
Old 25th March 2008, 02:24   #27
BHPian

dude...bigman ur fighting on the losing side!
TATA motors has achieved a goal which is thought of as a major step in the evolution of motoring. If the nano were nothing special then why is it that it garnered so much attention from the international media and audience at the world's largest stage, the Geneva Motor Show?

The price...well even if it doesn't stand up to the proverbial 1 lakh tag, it is a significant effort, and the result is magnificent. It isn't cutting corners when the car will be safety tested, and will meet NCAP safety requirements as there are future plans for Europe and select other markets. [NOTE that the Reva AKA GWiz is registered as a quadracycle in the UK to avoid safety regulations applicable to cars]

Lastly TATA motors is making a lower margin per nano than it does with it's other cars, and much lower than other marques. I think it is a commendable feat, and am glad that none other than TATA have achieved it....

Patriotism and objectivity are 2 very different perspectives. However with respect to the TATA Nano and Indians, they are one and the same...So go ahead be objectively patriotic, support the fine work of the TATAs
Old 25th March 2008, 08:18   #28
Team-BHP Support

I hope they dont decide to power the Nano Flintstones style!
Quote:
It would be a breakthrough if they had used innovation and made the car out of something less sensitive to fluctuations like steel.
AFAIK, TATA is one of the main players in the steel industry. Then why do they have to worry too much about contracts on steel?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th March 2008 at 08:23.
Old 25th March 2008, 13:06   #29

dear guys i have a big question. who dare to provide a car for 2500$? if it is so, discuss it further. Car is a car, Nano has proven in the worldwide and that has been accepted as a car even though it is not on the roads. I have no car so far and no association with any automobile pepole of india.
Old 25th March 2008, 13:15   #30
rkg
Senior - BHPian

When i said Bosch is doing the smallest CRDI for NANO, it does not mean bosch designed it completely. Bosch MD said in a interview after NANO launch that TATA's have demonstrated to them that it can be done and they jumped as they do not want to leave it competitors.

same is the case with many processes and innovations.

I have one question for all those who ridicule a great effort

Can Maruti/Hyundai/GM/ others say publicly that their small cars have passed frontal and side impact crash tests?

Ratan TATA said NANO passed frontal and side impact crash test. they why are people still crying that it is not safe? if a Zen, santro etc were safe NANO is also safe as it has passed the tests.

Ratan also stated that it meets Euro norms and it gives more milage. Which means more/better burning of fuel -- resulting in less pollution. then why are guys saying it is polluting?

here is the link where a respected consultancy group

says it is indeed innovation and why it is so-- i hope this clears the air and shows who is jingoistic

4 lessons to learn from Tata's Nano

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks