Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2008, 16:43   #46
BHPian

I seem to remember that there was a thought of them going towards the CKD route vs CBU route for the CRV (sales person in Whitefield honda and not a reliable source). That would make sense given that there are thoughts of the Outlander moving in that direction. The Endy is anyways in that category, so that leaves out what Hyundai will do with its SantaFe now! VW Tiguan will not have a chance if it comes in the CBU route against a CKD diesel CRV. The price ought to drop by 2L which would mean it could either stay at the 2.4L version or lower (high hopes!)...

P.S. Did any interview with the honda M.D talk about this?
Old 25th March 2008, 17:04   #47
BHPian

From the pic, it seems to be a manual version. Any news about the specifications and transmission should be shared. It should have an automatic transmission as an option , if at all it is launched as I heard at this forum that Outlander is likely to have an automatic option. Captiva - pre launch rumours also shouted from rooftops that it will have automatic transmission with diesel and even a sunroof. Alas! nothing of that sort happened and hence, no show( me) when it was launched

A reliable source has informed me that Sonata Diesel automatic has also been stopped. It seems that in diesel, no company is selling auto transmission at a price point below 18 lakhs now ( Laura). And none in the SUV / MUV / MPV category around / below 20 lakhs - Captiva, Tucson &Terracan( no more available), Endeavour, Safari, Scorpio, Innova, Pajero, Tavera none have auto transmission.

Vitara and CRV are available with auto transmission ( though in petrol engine only). Outlander is rumoured to be coming with auto tranny ( petrol engined). There is a clear pattern and consensus it seems among all manufacturers on this issue. Anyone can guess "why"? Is there really no market for auto transmission here?

At "driveinside.com" the info on upcoming cars, still carries the news/ speculation that Scorpio automatic is getting launched around April 2008. I sincerely hope there is some truth in this news. In India, a petrol vehicle doesnt make sense, when diesel is cheaper and hi tech engines ( CRDi) VGT, VTT etc. are available.

In UAE also situation is not too different - but then in UAE petrol is cheaper than diesel so it doesnt make a difference.

And thats the reason I guess CRV sells more as it has options available and it will rock if its offered with a diesel engine too.
Old 25th March 2008, 17:11   #48
Team-BHP Support

Price it right and it will survive or will be a sure and sudden death, after first 100 cars. So what will be the right price?

For me the new Crv petrol is also over priced, but will consider it Diesel if the price is close to the petrol version. Why cant Honda sell it close to 15-16 lakh territory!! Afterall Honda is supposed to be affordable and reliable world over lol
Old 25th March 2008, 17:17   #49
Senior - BHPian

Diesels are always on the higher side here, so unless they reband the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Price it right and it will survive or will be a sure and sudden death, after first 100 cars. So what will be the right price?

For me the new Crv petrol is also over priced, but will consider it Diesel if the price is close to the petrol version. Why cant Honda sell it close to 15-16 lakh territory!! Afterall Honda is supposed to be affordable and reliable world over lol
Old 25th March 2008, 17:21   #50
Senior - BHPian

Wake me up. I seem to have slept through a revolution! The moment I get up, I see that the diesel quality in India has improved in leaps and bounds

Anyways, better late than never Honda.
Old 25th March 2008, 18:56   #51
Senior - BHPian

Oh My God. Wow man

Please someone find out if any chances the beast will come here and if yes then when.

Is it not possible to import this car?
Old 25th March 2008, 19:29   #52
Senior - BHPian

Good pictures and nice to know that a beast is out on the prowl.This one if priced genuinely is a hit instantaneously.
ram
Old 25th March 2008, 19:30   #53
BHPian

@shatrughna
I have only seen the diesel Honda's with manual transmission in Europe. Japanese manufacturers for some reason have a tough time matting a diesel engine with auto transmission. I can hardly think of any (at this moment in time, I can't think of any)!
Old 25th March 2008, 22:24   #54
Senior - BHPian

You have a very keen eye to note that small i-CTDI badging on the rear window. Great news this.
Old 25th March 2008, 22:47   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I concur, somebody I know bought a 16+ lakh endeaver instead of the vitara because vitara is petrol and he does not want to pay high fuel bills
Yes, buying a diesel in India makes a lot of sense. Dont we see good number against Merc and BMW diesel versions? With all the major cars drinking diesel these days, it essential for Honda to get the i-CTDI. Similar transition happened in Europe too.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 25th March 2008 at 22:51.
Old 25th March 2008, 22:54   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
I thought they said India is not yet ready for them to launch their Diesel units.

A market/clientile is as ready or not as a company wants it to be. It all comes down to how hungry a company is for increasing its footprint.
Old 26th March 2008, 00:50   #57
BHPian

india is indeed a hUge market for diesel and SUV's are in the game altogether...
with ever increasing customer knowledge on the car and technology, and with succes of peppy diesel engines like the swift ddis, this is sure to be a firecracker...BTW, G.V maybe hiding just aroung the corner with a diesel heart..who knows...
Old 26th March 2008, 07:16   #58
Senior - BHPian

Mostly 140hp!

I think that these are the specs.

Honda Car Experience

In UK this car has i.e. diesel CR-V has a 2.2 engine ( I think that honda has only one diesel engine for this size of vehicle ) offering 140bhp and the website mentions that the car can do 0-62mph i.e. 0 - 99.758 kmph in 10.3 seconds.

Looks like another winner.
Old 26th March 2008, 09:27   #59
BHPian

As far as I remember, Honda, only has one diesel engine, full stop. They had an earlier 2.0l diesel, but that was very quickly phased out for the 2.2 that's commonly available in Europe.
Old 26th March 2008, 11:24   #60
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Captiva - pre launch rumours also shouted from rooftops that it will have automatic transmission with diesel and even a sunroof. Alas! nothing of that sort happened and hence, no show( me) when it was launched
The rumour mills insist that an automatic Captiva is on the cards.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed