Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2008, 14:37   #61
BHPian

Any comments on Hyundai Genesis Concept Launching/Launched in U.S?

Superb thing to drive at very less price. Watch it

Ready to take on BMW or Mercs.

Last edited by Gangsta : 27th March 2008 at 14:42.
Old 27th March 2008, 14:50   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
Any comments on Hyundai Genesis Concept Launching/Launched in U.S?
YouTube - Roadfly.com - Hyundai Genesis Concept

Superb thing to drive at very less price. Watch it

Ready to take on BMW or Mercs.
that thing will never take on a BMW or a Merc and "win" because even if the Beamer or Merc loses in a drag or a race, it's still a BMW or a Merc, and the genesis a Hyundai!!

It's like saying will you take an Evo that can ceam an LP640 iaround a track or the LP640!?!
Old 27th March 2008, 15:06   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
that thing will never take on a BMW or a Merc and "win" because even if the Beamer or Merc loses in a drag or a race, it's still a BMW or a Merc, and the genesis a Hyundai!!

It's like saying will you take an Evo that can ceam an LP640 iaround a track or the LP640!?!
I'm not talking of Drag or Race because i havnt mentioned Hyundai Genesis Coupe taking on M3 or SLR. Hyundai Genesis Concept but not the sporty ones.
Sporty one is the genesis coupe.

I was talking about over all goodies and performance. Such cars doesnt have to stand alone in a Race or Drag.

Hyundai coupe tibby vs civics. A mix combo of winning and loosing. havnt driven both but just seen drags or races on youtube bet. tibby and civics. just a mixed combo, but majority vids were for Tibbies winning the race.

Last edited by Gangsta : 27th March 2008 at 15:08.
Old 27th March 2008, 20:14   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Toyota - Lexus
Honda - Acura
Nissan - Infinity

Strangely enough even though the underpinnings between both the parent badge and the luxury badge models are generally the same,
Would have to disagree on that, there are some common models, mostly different breed of cars are catered.

Infinity G35/M35, Lexus IS/LS series cars are not offered in a corresponding Nissan/Toyota variant.
Old 27th March 2008, 21:42   #65
BHPian

Hyundai Genesis is a far far ahead car than the BMW / Lexus / Audi

(i dont even want a Merc in the category to be compared)

Genesis recently got a 5star safety rating in Korean NCAP assessment ...
sources reveal that Genesis scored a higher safety rating with Car to car Collision with Audi ...
Hyundai | Genesis

Soon, the tau4.6L V8 version in US and Lambda 3.8 in Europe will surely get an 5Star NCAP rating ...
Old 28th March 2008, 03:52   #66
BHPian

wow...people in India like Korean cars way, way too much...damn when my dad threatened to buy me a diesel Accent or Verna, I pleaded with him not to torture me or humiliate me, making me drive either of those cars to college...I promised to study hard and get good grades ...thank god I got to keep the Corrolla...
Old 28th March 2008, 10:39   #67
BHPian

Quote:
wow...people in India like Korean cars way, way too much...damn when my dad threatened to buy me a diesel Accent or Verna, I pleaded with him not to torture me or humiliate me, making me drive either of those cars to college...I promised to study hard and get good grades ...thank god I got to keep the Corrolla...
Oh really? Have ya driven a Verna? Even Stock Verna can smoke a Corolla Easily anytime.

I have Elantra CRDi which is much superior than corolla.
Power - Elantra
Safety - Elantra
Stability - Elantra
Braking - Superb braking - Elantra
Price - Much cheaper than corolla
Mileage - Elantra ( i know its irrelevant as i'm comparing mileage part with Diesel vs petrol )
Running Cost - Elantra is much cheaper
Service Network - Obvious Hyundai over Toyota in any part of India.

As far as Verna is Concerned. I will spend...
9 Lakh on Stock Verna VGT
30k on Suspension work.
30k on Pete's
30K on Tyres and Alloys
5k on CAI.
Total: approx 10 lakh.
and in 10 lakh i will have a insane supreme machine ready which will be way way ahead of corolla in performance. still i save 3 lakh i guess.

Last edited by Gangsta : 28th March 2008 at 10:44.
Old 28th March 2008, 10:57   #68
Senior - BHPian

Seems like there is a `Hyundai Lover' here.

Well, we are talking about Korean vs Japs and not Corolla vs Elantra vs Verna and others.
Old 28th March 2008, 11:03   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Seems like there is a `Hyundai Lover' here.

Well, we are talking about Korean vs Japs and not Corolla vs Elantra vs Verna and others.
I'm not saying that Japanese are not good. Please read my previous post. I had also written that Japanese are good in quality but not Koreans i.e Hyundai is not upto the mark as Honda do.
Only drawback in Honda is that they are highly priced.
Old 28th March 2008, 11:05   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not saying that Japanese are not good. Please read my previous post. I had also written that Japanese are good in quality but not Koreans i.e Hyundai is not upto the mark as Honda do.
Only drawback in Honda is that they are highly priced.
So, you know the reason why they are priced higher.
Old 28th March 2008, 11:17   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
So, you know the reason why they are priced higher.
but we are getting same goodies may be more in koreans at much lesser price and its not a huge difference in the quality of japanese or koreans.
Old 28th March 2008, 11:46   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but we are getting same goodies may be more in koreans at much lesser price and its not a huge difference in the quality of japanese or koreans.
In that case, most of the people who prefer Japanese cars over Koreans have been ripped off. For that matter, American brands are also generally cheaper than Japanese, and Japanese brands are cheaper than Europeans.
Old 28th March 2008, 15:01   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
In that case, most of the people who prefer Japanese cars over Koreans have been ripped off. For that matter, American brands are also generally cheaper than Japanese, and Japanese brands are cheaper than Europeans.
Now American Brands are facing problems in U.S too, read in many forums about the Ford getting a lot of problems in their cars in U.S.
Here in india we don't have good stories about A.S.S of Ford and same as Chevy.
Read about transmission problems in brand new chevy cars here itself. But not in large numbers but few of them.

This is true that Japanese had a horrible name in U.S in the initial stages, but that was way back... Same with Koreans they are not good as Japanese in refinement and now Americans themself says Sonata is well ahead of Accord.

As far as customer satisfaction is concerned they are improving a lot and in another up coming year they will be in head to head with Japanese.
Prestigious US ?Consumer Reports? Names Hyundai Santa Fe and Elantra as Best in Category

But i'm still in a confusion about this thread, Korean vs Japanese just in India or globally.

This thread is in "The Indian Car Scene" Section, so we should talk about Koreans (Hyundai) and Japanese (Honda, Suzuki, Toyota) in India or Korean vs Japan Globally?
Old 28th March 2008, 15:30   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh really? Have ya driven a Verna? Even Stock Verna can smoke a Corolla Easily anytime.
A stock verna cant even smoke the stock NHC VTEC (from reviews I have read). It's the higher torque of the diesel which gives the feeling that the car has a better pickup.
Old 28th March 2008, 16:19   #75
BHPian

Quote:

I have Elantra CRDi which is much superior than corolla.
Power - Elantra
Safety - Elantra
Stability - Elantra
Braking - Superb braking - Elantra
Price - Much cheaper than corolla
Mileage - Elantra ( i know its irrelevant as i'm comparing mileage part with Diesel vs petrol )
Running Cost - Elantra is much cheaper
Service Network - Obvious Hyundai over Toyota in any part of India.

As far as Verna is Concerned. I will spend...
9 Lakh on Stock Verna VGT
30k on Suspension work.
30k on Pete's
30K on Tyres and Alloys
5k on CAI.
Total: approx 10 lakh.
and in 10 lakh i will have a insane supreme machine ready which will be way way ahead of corolla in performance. still i save 3 lakh i guess.
Yes actually I have driven the Verna [my friend has one in the "sh*t" colour], well My corolla is an H4, cost me a lot more than a Verna or an Elantra [05 model before facelift and price cuts...if I waited 2 months I would have steering mounted audio controls ]

Anyway my point is, my corolla is stock, is an auto, gets me an FE of 7kmpl...
BUT...it's a great cruiser, I drive other cars on the weekend, but on weekdays when I have to drive through congested Mumbai roads, the added
stiff suspension - will suck over potholes
Petes - will be useless even on the highway! [I hate Eastern Express in rush hour]
CAI - Great for sound, maybe will improve FE...
And for service...well a guy from Lakozy Toyota comes to collect my car from my house when It's due for service, so no issues there...

As for Elantra or Verna beating the Corolla...dunno bout that, but it's 60K km on the odo now, and reliability is bulletproof. Only regular maintainence, dents & scratches [not anymore, only let the driver park the car], And all 4 brake disks and pads replaced [I insisted on it, didn't like the brake performance at the time, it's great now...]

And BTW if you went for a 10 lakh Verna you would save over 4.5 lakh over what I paid for my Corolla...HOWEVER note that I have no issues with the fact that I paid so much more for a car which as you put it doesn't stand up to the Verna...because for the reliability she's shown me as DD, shes' unmatched [I have had problems with my Hondas, but not my Toyota]
cheers:

Note from mod: Abusive language, direct or indirect is prohibited on this board. Do not use shi*t etc., to get past the sites filters

Last edited by tsk1979 : 28th March 2008 at 16:51.
DocG is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks