Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2008, 17:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Where should I sell the car: State of Registration or Current State?

I own a Wagon R Lx 2003 model.

The car is registered in Delhi while I am currently in Mumbai.

So I am facing problems in selling it in Mumbai, pls advise how to go about selling the car.

There are 2 options I have in mind:

1. Go to delhi have the RC transferred to Mumbai & register the car in
Mumbai & pay the roadtax.

2. Take the car to delhi & sell it.

Can anyone guide me on the expenses involved in both the options & which one to go for.

Any one having a 3rd (or 4th) opinion would be welcome.
Old 26th March 2008, 17:51   #2
BHPian

There is a cost involved in getting the car back to Delhi. There is also a cost involved in the transfering the RC to Mumbai.
You can calculate the two cost and then have a good idea as to while option is better.

There are also other factors to consider such as time and effort to do option 1 and option 2 respectively. One thing is for sure, you would not be able to sell the car without a NOC from Delhi RTO. So in anycase you need to go to Delhi, whether it is for the NOC or the sale of the car.

I feel selling the car in Delhi is a lesser effort option and hence a better option (I have no idea of the actual cost of taking the car to Delhi, but it should not be too much, assuming it is driven there.)
DriverR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2008, 19:07   #3
BANNED

How about posting in the Classifieds section of t-bhp?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2008, 21:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Cost of transporting the car by Carrier is about 5500 Rs.

The lifetime roadtax in Delhi ia paid.

Any one having the idea of the amount of road tax in Maharashtra (Navi Mumbai)
Old 1st April 2008, 10:03   #5
BHPian

Need advice: Need to sell a KA registered car while I am in Pune

Hi,
I have a Bangalore (KA) registered car (Matiz), which I need to sell. However I'm in Pune at the moment. Is there a way I can sell the car while I'm in Pune, without having to drive / transport to Bangalore?
Old 1st April 2008, 13:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Considering the RC transfer, maharashtra road tax and new registration costs, my friend who is shifting from Bangalore to Mumbai has sold off his 2005 model Esteem for a good price in Bangalore itself. Few other reasons what he told me are ; less resale value in Mumbai specially vehicle that got transfered, difficulty of selling something while getting used to a new city. Time, money and energy consumed in either driving the vehicle or getting it through a carrier to Mumbai. Hope this info helps !!

Last edited by shajufx : 1st April 2008 at 13:42.
Old 1st April 2008, 13:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion would be to send the car to Delhi & sell it there, much hassle free approach.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2008, 15:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hope you have NOC from bangalore RTO while you use your car in Pune.
Resale value for Matiz would take a hit as it's registered outside the state of sale.
Old 1st April 2008, 16:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Send the car to Delhi and sell it there.

Paying road tax will be heavy on your pocket and you will have to go through the hassle of changing registration.
PatienceWins is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 04:55   #10
BHPian

How to dispose off my rarely-used Apache RTR 160?

Please excuse the curiously-named title and read on to understand why I chose it.

In February 2008, while I was working in Chennai, I bought a brand new Apache RTR 160. In July 2008, I landed a job "back home" in NOIDA and relocated. I'd obtained an NOC for Delhi (instead of UP; big mistake!) from Chennai, but never put it to use in 2008 or 2009. My bad. I kept on riding the bike with a TN number until 2011, when I first thought of selling it off.

Around the same time, Delhi authorities changed re-registration rules and denied registration to all vehicles purchased earlier than 2009. Therefore, I found myself stuck with a TN-numbered bike that I hardly rode and that I couldn't legally transfer to a new owner if I sold it. Over the years, I've gotten in touch with many RTO agents. All of them have told me that the only proper way to get things done is to travel to Chennai along with the bike and get a fresh NOC made for UP. Even then, the Chennai authorities will ensure "through the proper channel" that I've never made use of the earlier Delhi NOC.

I don't want to sell the bike without proper paperwork, since it will remain a liability on me. If the new owner gets into an accident, I will get legally entangled. There has been a similar case in my extended family, so I'm doubly cautious. There have been many potential buyers over the years who wanted to buy the bike without proper paperwork, but I've not relented so far.

The bike has barely done 7000 km. It pains my heart to see it gathering dust. I somehow want to dispose it off, but in a legally OK way.

What do I do? If selling the bike is not possible, can I sell some of its parts to recover at least part of the sunk cost? How?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Samartha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 05:08   #11
BHPian

Re: How to dispose off my rarely-used Apache RTR 160?

Hey Samartha,

If you still have friends back in Chennai, the best option would be to try selling them in Chennail itself.

It would probably save a lot of trouble in getting the NOC and transferring it to your name in Noida before disposing off to a third party.

I think trying to sell it in Chennai itself would be the best bet.

Best,
r-six
R-Six is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 07:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samartha View Post

The bike has barely done 7000 km. It pains my heart to see it gathering dust. I somehow want to dispose it off, but in a legally OK way.

What do I do? If selling the bike is not possible, can I sell some of its parts to recover at least part of the sunk cost? How?
Best would be to send the bike back to chennai in a truck from HMIL which would be going back empty and will take it cheaply. Your friend can then sell it locally.
Old 23rd May 2014, 08:19   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Best would be to send the bike back to chennai in a truck from HMIL which would be going back empty and will take it cheaply. Your friend can then sell it locally.
These empty trucks have started to transport cars of people who are moving residence between cities.

I dont think the bike carriers would be going empty either .. it's sheer waste.
Old 23rd May 2014, 10:37   #14
BHPian

Adding to R-Six, selling it in Chennai would be the easier option.

I had one too, a 2007 RTR 160 which I sold in 2011 for about 30k.

The resale is not great for them (Unless you have some acquaintance who is willing to but it off you for a good price) so I suggest you do the numbers before you decide to sell.

Selling the parts would be a waste of time as you can never be sure of selling off all the parts and you might be left with a bike which can neither be sold not be ridden.

Regards,
BL
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 16:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post

Selling the parts would be a waste of time as you can never be sure of selling off all the parts and you might be left with a bike which can neither be sold not be ridden.

Regards,
BL
As it stands, the bike has been parked in the courtyard for over a year. It's not in a rideworthy state. To get it to such a state, at the least, I will need to buy a new pair of tyres and a fresh battery.

That's the dilemma. Should I spend money on repairing the bike, and then transportation cost all the way to Chennai, just to fetch the 20k sale price in the end, or simply sell off the parts that I legally can and cut my losses?

Most Viewed