Team-BHP - Airbags don't activate if you aren't wearing a seatbelt?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Airbags don't activate if you aren't wearing a seatbelt? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/37471-airbags-dont-activate-if-you-arent-wearing-seatbelt.html)

I recentlly came to know that if you are not wearing a seatbelt while accident happens...airbags wont open? is that true?

another observation, why does only cars with flat rear glass have rear wiper...you will fine it in Safari, I-10, Fusion or Swift but you wont find that in Sedans...what is the reason?

are there any changes in headlight beam for lefthand drive cars? i feel my optra has headlight focus as if it is lefthand drive car....

Logan has front wipers fitted left to right (opposite) dosnt this have any impact?

like this many of us have various questions....obvious or weird.....this thread is for such questions....

Quote:

Originally Posted by throttleking (Post 772645)
I recentlly came to know that if you are not wearing a seatbelt while accident happens...airbags wont open? is that true?
since there probably is a sensor. if there is someone sitting in the seat the manufacturer expects you to wear your seat belt. if no one is sitting the seatbelt wont be on therefor nor will the airbag be on. some manufacturers have sensors in the seat itself that put on the airbag if there is something above a certain weight in the seat.

another observation, why does only cars with flat rear glass have rear wiper...you will fine it in Safari, I-10, Fusion or Swift but you wont find that in Sedans...what is the reason?
normally only on hatchbacks and suvs.

are there any changes in headlight beam for lefthand drive cars? i feel my optra has headlight focus as if it is lefthand drive car....
i think the RHD cars have a sharp cutoff to the right and the LHD a sharp cutoff to the left so as not to blind oncoming traffic.

Logan has front wipers fitted left to right (opposite) dosnt this have any impact?
its obviously not as good at normal wipers. this is cost cutting since renault did not want to design the wiper system for RHD.

like this many of us have various questions....obvious or weird.....this thread is for such questions....

my answers in bold...

An airbag is a Secondary Restraint System.
It will deploy when the primary system i.e. the seatbelt is being used.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 772673)
An airbag is a Secondary Restraint System.
It will deploy when the primary system i.e. the seatbelt is being used.

IMO its Supplementary Restraint System

Almost all the query made have answers here already.Please use the search function for the same.The last 2 questions have been new ones though.The focus of the headlight of all vehicles are like that.It is done to ensure that you got a clear view of the left side in the case of an on coming vehicle with high beams.
Logan wipers are a mystery,lol.The only reason i found for the same is that it has a wider front glass and so for a proper reach of the wipers they have used that mechanism.
ram

An air bag is a flexible container that can be instantaneously inflated by air or gas. The main purpose is to cushion an adult head in the case of any impact. An air bag is also known by its technical term, a Supplementary/Secondary Restraint System, or SRS. It can also be referred to as an Air Cushion Restraint System, or ACRS, or even Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR). Whatever you call it, an air bag is a modern device installed in many cars for the exclusive purpose of saving lives. Despite its comfy appearance in all of those safety ratings commercials, it’s not meant for a mid-drive nap. In some circumstances it can be dangerous itself (if not used properly).

Source: Your airbagdirectory.com Directory

@Blackpearl I prefer Supplementary Restraint System, sounds better.

ohh man didn't knew this ever,very helpful thread..nice work:)

Quote:

throttleking : I recentlly came to know that if you are not wearing a seatbelt while accident happens...airbags wont open? is that true?
Dont think so. In case of an accident & when the air bags deploy, both airbags will deploy - even if there is no occupant in the co-driver seat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by throttleking (Post 772645)

It depends on what car it is and what sensors are installed & what is required by law in that state / country.
Most cars with passenger airbags that i have seen so not deploy the airbag if there isnt a certain minimum weight on the seat (more than a small child).
There will be an indicator on the dash saying "Passenger Side Airbag : ON / OFF".

Quote:

Discussed in depth here >
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ot-sedans.html

Quote:

You can adjust the direction & height of headlight beams yourself >
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ght-beams.html

cya
R

//I recentlly came to know that if you are not wearing a seatbelt while accident happens...airbags wont open? is that true?//

It is to have additional feedback signal to ensure the presence of the front /co-passenger to activate his side SRS airbag either by seatbelt toggle switch or through under seat weight sensor. This may be economically beneficial in the aftermath repairs of the car that underwent a non life threatening accident .

I drive a 2007 Mitsubishi Galant 2.4liter 170HP which has on dash indicators for the SRS status and front co-passenger presence (seat weight) sensor. It varies manufacturer to manufacturer based on segment classification of the cars.

//another observation, why does only cars with flat rear glass have rear wiper...you will fine it in Safari, I-10, Fusion or Swift but you wont find that in Sedans...what is the reason?//

Few Sedans like Mazda 6 sports version have rear wipers. However the reason for finding rear wiper lesson sedans is perhaps due to opening of boot resulting in space crushing between bood lid and wiper assembly. In the case of hatch or SUV the entire door along with wiper assebly opens up.

//are there any changes in headlight beam for lefthand drive cars? i feel my optra has headlight focus as if it is lefthand drive car....//

The center focal point for the driver from the seating position of RHD and LHD perhaps require some fine tuning.

//Logan has front wipers fitted left to right (opposite) dosnt this have any impact?//

During typical monsoon, in the event of suddern down pour the vision of the driver will get blurred for few seconds as the blade travel from front co-passenger side of the glass first. Driver's Vision blurring at monsoon night driving can contribute some:Frustrati

yaar.

could you bother to spend 2 mins tbhp searching/googling first?

Nothing personal but you spent more than that creating this thread, and we'll spend much more replying to some pretty old koshuns.

1) The airbag system as mentioned earlier is a Supplimentary Restraint System (SRS). Frontal airbags are typically found on Indian cars. These airbags will only deploy if the frontal collision sensors detect a collision [ie a frontal crash severe enough to crush the crumple zones where the airbag sensors are located]. The sensors once stimulated cause the airbags to deploy within a fraction of a second. [HOWEVER do note that airbags do not deploy 33% of the time]. The force with which the airbags deploy is enough to kill a person, therefore it is compulsory for you to wear your seatbelt [prevents you from being launched forward, the airbag deploys and will break your neck (the atlas of your 2nd cervical vertebra will puncture your spinal cord, and you will die, like hanging)]. Also remember that this is the reason why children should not be seated in the front passenger seat!
The headrests also help to protect from whiplash, again preventing you from breaking you neck, hence please remember to adjust your headrest before driving off, it is not some status symbol or car accessory!

In newer, albeit more expensive cars, it is highly possible that the seatbelt sensors are connected to the airbag sensors [I don't think that Indian cars have this yet]. Also remember that frontal airbags will not protect you from rear or side collisions.

Lastly airbags are not 100% safe, but it's nice to know that they are there. I have a very close friend whose CRV airbags failed to deploy in a major frontal collision. Honda saved their asses by stating that airbags are known to NOT deploy sometimes, and this figure is around 33%. Hence please drive at safe speeds, even if your car comes with airbags please:

4) The engineers at Renault/Dacia decided to leave the wipers as LHD because they did not want to redesign them for the RHD model [which right now is only sold in India]. The costs were prohibitive. [Don't know why, the Logan is supposed to be a car built on a budget, yet is 6 lakhs or so?!? I think it's crap!]

One example in india which has a sensor for the pasenger air bag is the elantra.Its called PPD-passenger presence detector.IT has a load setting of 30 kgs.
ram

thanks guys for all your replies...

airbag issue seems to be truly depnding on manufacturer to manufacturer...for example Toyota Corolla doesnt have airbag on/off switch, and your car should be above 55kmph at the time of collision then only airbags will open...similarly other cars have different startegies for airbags....

Note : Mods : i opened this thread not only to seek answers from fellow members but also to solicit these type of questions from people....if you feel the thread is not relevant please close or move it to right place....

makes sense...headlamp leveling information is really usefull

You can adjust the direction & height of headlight beams yourself >
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ght-beams.html

I think in Indian car there is no sensor for co-passenger except in elentra. ( i am omitting premium cars like merc and bmw`s) . So If there is a front collision and the sensor in the front are actuated it will make the Airbag open whether you are wearing a seatbelt or not.