Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2008, 14:51   #16
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Fortuner should do the trick if Honda is not doing it now,lol.Captiva could also be built in India which could motivate Honda to start crv production here.
ram
Yes someone should hit honda below the belt and make them sit up.

Without 110% duty, CRV should be in 10-12 lakhs range. Whos gonna buy a corolla, civic, optra, safari, scorpio then?

There are huge volumes available for honda to walk away with...just need some imagination and risk taking ability on honda's part.
Old 27th March 2008, 16:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Why is the CRV imported? Because its the easy way out.
Old 27th March 2008, 16:57   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I'd doubt Honda do it, GTO, am willin to bet on it!
Why I think it will be assembled locally:

1. Still not as capital-intensive as full fledged manufacturing.

2. Volumes are respectable, can only be expected to grow if made locally. When cars that cost 50 - 80 lakhs can be assembled here, why not a 20 lakh SUV?

3. CRV = Very profitable car.

4. Growing segment with long-term potential. In 5 years, the 15 - 20 lakh segment is expected to grow a 100% plus.

Wanna bet a winch?
Old 27th March 2008, 17:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Growing segment with long-term potential. In 5 years, the 15 - 20 lakh segment is expected to grow a 100% plus.
Consider this. Since the economic boom that started from around end-2002 (and looks like ending soon), the 800 segment has actually declined, while the highest growth has been in the executive (4.5-4.7 m) segment. In fact, the de facto choice for erstwhile 800 buyers is now a segment higher. If economic growth continues as forecast, it would not be a surprise if by the middle of next decade, the mid size would become the de facto choice. Point is: the 800 buyer of the last decade migrated to mid size by the start of this decade, then to executive at present, and could go up to higher segments in the next 5-7 yrs.

It has been shown again and again across numerous studies that car ownership (per thousand people) is initially low at per capita incomes below US$5000 in 2000 prices (about 8.5) but increases rapidly with income levels thereafter. Further, a one percentage point increase in the share of the
population with income above $4500 leads to an increase in car ownership by 4.3 cars per 1000.
Old 27th March 2008, 17:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:

4. Growing segment with long-term potential. In 5 years, the 15 - 20 lakh segment is expected to grow a 100% plus.
Could not have put this one any better. Exactly the point I mentioned in one of my earlier replies.

The 15-20 lacs bracket would fetch better cars than the CR-V in 5 years time-frame (assuming local assembly is a reality)
Old 27th March 2008, 17:50   #21
BHPian

Continuing the discussion further, would like to understand other cars/SUVs that are CBU's and their rationale behind having it as a CBU rather than a local assembly. I understand more often than not the rationale is same, but it could well differ for different manufacturers. A case in point is the Suzuki Grand Vitara. Correct me if I am wrong.

GTO, when you mentioned cars in the region of 50-80 lacs being locally assembled, which ones are you talking about? Please throw some light on this.
Old 27th March 2008, 18:08   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
GTO, when you mentioned cars in the region of 50-80 lacs being locally assembled, which ones are you talking about? Please throw some light on this.
Benz' and BMW's to start with?
Old 27th March 2008, 18:14   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I always thought the BMWs were CBUs. Where is their production facility located? The Benz have been in production in India for sometime now, aware of this.

As far as GM is concerned, their facility in Talegaon (near Pune) should be operational by the year end. Will they roll out the Captiva from here remains to be seen? I know they have another huge facility in Gujarat somewhere and the other cars namely, the Optra, Aveo, Spark and the U-va are manufactured there.
Old 27th March 2008, 18:51   #24
BHPian

Quote:
How about adding Audi to that list, I heard even the Outlander will be manufactured in India, if that is true and they come up with a good price that will compel the Honda's & the GM's to do the same.

Take Innova's case for example the car retails for close to 15-16000 usd and is sold at 8+lakh onwards in India and does numbers close to 2500-3000 per month . Imagine a CRV/outlander/Captiva/Fortuner which sells for 20 K usd bieng manufactured in INdia for around 10 Lakhs and I am sure that they can achieve the 2000-2500 numbers per month easily. There are times I feel what are these CEO's doing, except for Maruti, Tata & Hyundai most of them are not utilising the full capacity of their plants, why cant they think out of the box and take the lead.
Old 27th March 2008, 19:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Yes, with Honda's current fan following, atleast the local assembly of the CRV will be justified.

Honda inspite of so much loyalty in India is not commiting itself to the market. The lack of diesel engine is another sore point. The recent spotting of the CRV D is good news. Maybe its a watch and wait policy. I am sure the offer of the MJD on the SX4 will accelarate the diesel plans for Honda.

I think the new plant is the step in the right direction. We might be lucky to see the CRV rolling from the plant. I guess only the Jazz has been announced to be made from the plant.

I too like to experience a Honda product. Hope it gets affortable like a suzuki.
Old 27th March 2008, 21:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Yes, with Honda's current fan following, atleast the local assembly of the CRV will be justified.

Honda inspite of so much loyalty in India is not commiting itself to the market. The lack of diesel engine is another sore point. The recent spotting of the CRV D is good news. Maybe its a watch and wait policy. I am sure the offer of the MJD on the SX4 will accelarate the diesel plans for Honda.
April issue of Autocar says CRV and Accord will both get a 2.2 Diesel from Honda ... Ofcourse, till they actually announce this, time period is stretchable :-(
Old 27th March 2008, 23:42   #27
BHPian

I have stopped paying any attention to these scoops and breaking news in the auto mags unless its authenticated on this forum. So much info I have found wrong over last ten years in these mags that I have stopped believing in/ relying on them. The latest disappointment is the Captiva- Feb 07- AutoIndia announced Captiva is coming - including LTX specs- DSG etc and I postponed all my purchases and then it kept getting launched forever and finally we have the base version only.

Another scoop was fabia, then Laura RS, then scorpio automatic. Scorpio Auto news came out of an interview with Mr. Goenka and then - its still a rumour only.

Its not that I may test / try and buy each of these beauties , no matter how much I like them - but its like - we would love to visit the Taj - though we may not think of owning it.

Let CRV diesel get launched/ at least land in India - then we will see what to do with this. You may recall the pics of Vitara being shipped from Japan enroute to India before launch. Thats the kind of news that is exciting and worth increasing heart beats. But hey! this news already set so many pulse racing - wow Honda - the best is going to be better- may it come soon..

Last edited by shatrughna : 27th March 2008 at 23:44.
Old 28th March 2008, 12:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> always thought the BMWs were CBUs. Where is their production facility
> located?

Near Chennai in Tamil nadu.
Old 28th March 2008, 16:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

slightly off topic, i jst returned from a trip to dubai. and read classifiedes from a local news paper about used cars there, i was shocked.. they get a 2007 LC used for as low as 13 lakh and a camry of same year for 6.5 lakh as corolla as low as 4 lakh..
Old 28th March 2008, 16:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Do not know how much a new Corolla costs in the UAE. In the US, the new one is for $15-20K (variants). A 2007 one sells for 12-15,000, a 2006 one for 11-14K (all in $). A 2007 Camry sells for 17-22, a 2006 one for 14-19K. A new Camry is 19-28K. The wide range is obvious because of variants, car condition, etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks