Team-BHP - Omni, Ominous VFM Vehicle !!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Omni, Ominous VFM Vehicle !! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/3760-omni-ominous-vfm-vehicle.html)

True to its word, Maruti Omni is a one-size fits all vehicle. And a complete value for money package at less than 3L. And giving an average of 14-18 kmpl.. Packing in all your family and their stuffings..

I wonder, why idiots go in for the Ford-Fusion or the Indigo Marina, when we have the Omigosh Omni for almost half the price.

Fit in a GAS KIT and you have a winner. Although it may not do a 0-100-0 timings, but which other car for this price would be able to fit in 7 well-built adults comfortably and still be able to perform admirably??

What say folks??

I dont question the utility of the Omni buddy but theres no doubt that its the most unsafe passenger car on our roads today. Its certain death for the front passengers in the event of a frontal impact.

Omnis are more used in their cargo avtaar and are not really selling i nthe normal versions

Dippy

but those cargo vehicles are just value for money man and they come with an cng kit fitted and more economical and reliable than those three wheelers .

The Omni is no longer considered as a family car. Some years ago it would have been the right choice, we owned one too, but the the omni we own today is doing Ambulance duty. Hehe

There are far too many better cars in the market today. Only a person desperately in need of a cheap 7 seater will buy the Omni and even if he does, it'll probably be his 3rd car.

Shan2nu

True, Omni is not the safest of vehicles to travel in. But its much better in city driving with Back-2-back traffic. I don't recommend taking the omni on the highways and even if you take it on the highways always be on the leftmost lane..

For an average indian, who travels with his family, goes occassional shopping or more frequently to visit relatives.. Needs an economy vehicle that doesn't pinch on the pocket everytime he goes for servicing and gives a decent fuel-economy.. The Omni is the choice..

Much better than risking yourself with a auto-rickshaw right??

Also As dippy mentioned for all omni guys, ease your foot on the accelator.. And how often have we seen frontal impacts in city condition.. It also depends on the safety consciousness of the driver. Don't mess with the truck and bus drivers in the city and you are alright.. Also don't forget to have an insurance.. just in case..

Omni, is no doubt a good utility car.but, it fails to meet the standards of a good family car... ride is harsh..... keeps jumping around, brakes are average at best, doesnt come with aircon, safety..... i think we would rather not talk about it!
Infact, my dad decided to replace the Zen with an Omni........ and well, within one year the Omni is sold...... he simply didnt like it. FE and utility are the only things that are good about this car.

The Omni is a very good car if you're using it for your business, i.e., if your business indulges in shifting cargo between places. Like Shan2nu said, it'll preferably be a third car in a family. For functions or parties, etc it is very good to get people to places. About safety, an Omni accident would be a very horrific scene. A front end collision may provide the same "safety" as an auto-rickshaw.

Well if you're driving an Omni, please don't act smart! Drive safely and sensibly! You've actually nothing in between you and whatever you bang except that steering wheel and windshield in front of you, which will eventually be in you. I've seen some really fat guys driving an Omni and the steering wheel is actually touching their stomachs. I wonder the reaction time in the case of an accident. Nil!

Quote:

I've seen some really fat guys driving an Omni and the steering wheel is actually touching their stomachs. I wonder the reaction time in the case of an accident
Atleast they won't have to worry about airbags. LOL

Shan2nu

The Omni has got one of the bumpiest ride among all the cars. Also please do not compare Fusion to Omni as both are in a very different category

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon
About safety, an Omni accident would be a very horrific scene. A front end collision may provide the same "safety" as an auto-rickshaw.

not exactly.... infact, if you ask me its will be worse, because the Omni can travel much more faster than an autorickshaw...... so the result during collision will be worse than that of the latter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by man23ish
I wonder, why idiots go in for the Ford-Fusion or the Indigo Marina, when we have the Omigosh Omni for almost half the price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shravan316
it fails to meet the standards of a good family car... ride is harsh..... keeps jumping around, brakes are average at best, doesnt come with aircon, safety.....

One could go in for a Qualis instead of the Endeavour too. But thats not the case, you have to see what the car is going to be used for. For a person who loves off-roading, would anyday pick the Endeavour though he's paying double for it, coz he also knows that the Endeavour gives a lot of other things too and it would satisfy the purpose. On the other hand, a person who wants to use the car as a tourist vehicle or maybe to carry cargo, would go in for a Qualis, since that would fulfill the purpose. And Shravan316 has named a few points why "idiots" go for Ford Fusion or Tata Marina above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shravan316
not exactly.... infact, if you ask me its will be worse, because the Omni can travel much more faster than an autorickshaw...... so the result during collision will be worse than that of the latter.

Ya right and the best part for an auto-rickshaw driver is that he can jump out of it anytime, whereas the guy in the maruti van will be strapped inside with the seatbelt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon
Ya right and the best part for an auto-rickshaw driver is that he can jump out of it anytime, whereas the guy in the maruti van will be strapped inside with the seatbelt.

hehehehe, the first car in which the seatbelts are thoroughly not advisable!! lol:

Its actually Omni which should have the "karega" catchline, its so versatile!

Why not Versa instead of omni? it may be a lil more expensive but at least it's safer with better performance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by islero
Its actually Omni which should have the "karega" catchline, its so versatile!

Islero, agree: No body could have described that better.. "Rather sab kuch fit karega.."

I agree with the safety aspects of the Omni, this is something that needs improvement.

But hey c'mon guys, look at it this way, the vehicle is supposed to be an urban family vehicle and is not meant for racing on the highways. The seats are reasonably comfortable, (unless you take it off-road that is..) The legroom reminds me of the Amby. Drive the vehicle carefully and safely and it is truely a wonderful vehicle.

And i am alergic to car A/C's so i don't need one, it makes me sick and gives me a terrible headache especially when its hot outside and i need to get in and out of the vehicle frequently. But maybe this is a topic for another thread.. (Should vehicles really have A/C's and the medical hazards associated with the car A/Cs.)

Coming back to the Omni, I remember the ride (somewhere in the 80s we had on marine Drive, with the side-doors and the back-door open. You cannot do it in any other vehicle.. Besides the ease of ingress and egress for the middle seat is phenomenol..

The C.G of versa is quite high as compared to the omni. Besides the looks department of the versa is quite bank-rupt.