Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2012, 19:03   #61
BHPian

Re: Transfering a vehicle within India: Procedures

can anybody point me towards step by step instructions to get an NOC (not specifying any target RTO) from RTO for my OHC? I am soon moving out of country, and would like to obtain NOC so that I could either sell my vehicle, or re-register it at my native place and keep it there.
I somehow do not want to involve an agent here unless this is a highly complicated affair.
Old 4th July 2012, 20:02   #62
BHPian

I have a peculiar problem. I want to transfer my RX 100 to a friend in Mumbai. The bike is 1989 model and all papers in order. I got it revalidated twice at the local RTO and applied for transfer. The bike was inspected and all was found ok but at the end I was told that it is more than 15 years old and cannot be transferred according to some rule. They could not quote the exact rule and I am not able to find out if there is a rule like that. Could anyone help me out with this? I am in a real fix.
Old 23rd July 2012, 16:21   #63
BHPian

Re: How long it takes to get Registration number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
How long it takes for getting new Registration Number if all procedures below completed.

1. Tax Paid
2. NOC Submitted
3. Address Change done
4. Inspection of vehicle done by RTO

I have done all procedure of my car. But for registration number as K. R. Puram, Bangalore RTO informed, I have to wait for few months.

I have already submitted NOC, Am I still not eligible to get new Registration Number?
Hi Anujmishra, I am also through with all the above mentioned stages recently and now want to re-register the car with KA number, can you tell what is to be done next here, Does it involve further charges and how much time will it take to get the new KA number?
Old 23rd July 2012, 21:18   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
Hi Anujmishra, I am also through with all the above mentioned stages recently and now want to re-register the car with KA number, can you tell what is to be done next here, Does it involve further charges and how much time will it take to get the new KA number?
If your RTO receives reply from old RTO then they do it in that time frame otherwise even after 90 days they do not receive reply from old RTO they issue new number.

So, you may have to wait 90 days maximum after NOC submission.
Old 23rd July 2012, 22:22   #65
BHPian

Anyone knows what is the procedure if I buy a MH43/MH04 registered used car and I live in MH02 , what all do I need to transfer at the rto, charges and whether the registration number will change or remain the same. I know some people who have bought such used cars registered with a different rto but I don't think anyone of them has transferred the car to the rto of their residence area. Sorry if its a basic question.
Old 24th July 2012, 07:10   #66
BHPian

What is the tax structure for car registration in Pune?
Previously it was 7%-individual and 14%-corporations. But was increased in this years state budget. People who registered their cars in the last 3 months, please confirm the tax structure.
Old 24th July 2012, 12:09   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
If your RTO receives reply from old RTO then they do it in that time frame otherwise even after 90 days they do not receive reply from old RTO they issue new number.

So, you may have to wait 90 days maximum after NOC submission.
I dodnt quite understand it clearly, here's the present status:
- KA road tax paid in May'12
- Online it shows that the car is now road-legal in KA with all the taxes paid

Now, I want to change the original MH reg to new KA reg. So now, as per your reply what should be done next? Does it need a separate application and then 90 days? Please elaborate, would be really helpful. Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 19:21   #68
BHPian

I am in the process of re-registering my Toyota Qualis which I had purchased in 2004 in Pune, to Hyderabad. For the benefit of many fellow BHPians who are in similar boat as I am, I will list the following experience:

Background:

I bought the Qualis in Feb 2004 in Pune. Moved to Hyderabad in end 2004. Being that we just moved back to India after 15 years in the US, I was quite apprehensive / fearful / ignorant about the laws governing vehicle transfer to another state. Add to that, severe work pressures and multiple out-of-country trips reinforced by extended periods of procrastination prevented me from acting decisively to start the process of re-registering the vehicle in Hyderabad.

2006:

Then one day in July of 2006 a traffic cop stopped the vehicle as it was returning home after picking up the kids from school. I was at work when I got a call. I rush to the scene, and we had two anxious, hungry kids, a nervous driver and a constable and his officer licking their lips in anticipation of paydirt - I had not paid the Lifetime tax. After much pleading that we just came to Hyderabad the previous month, the officer must have taken pity on the crying kids, and admonished me and ordered me to pay the tax that very day. So off I went to RTO Khairatabad - but it had already closed. The next day, paid the tax (51k) and thought everything was ok and was merrily driving around after sticking a copy of the tax receipt on the windshield.

Suddenly I realized that though I had paid AP Lifetime tax I had not obtained NOC. Luckily I still had my Pune driving school owner's number. (Though I have driven across the US, I was terrified of driving in India after we returned. I enrolled in a driving school to relearn driving all over again). His brother was working in Pune RTO (Dont you love it when that happens?) So for a measely sum of Rs. 3000 as consultancy charges he got the NOC issued in 10 days time.

And now, next month we are going on a trip to Goa. It set me thinking we need new registration numbers. So began the exercise to collect all the papers, and make the trip to Attapur RTO. Happily they did not seem to mind that the NOC was 3 years late. But the NOC was issued to RTO Khairatabad and I live near Miyapur which falls under Ranga Reddy. So off to the former to get a Non Utilization Certificate. After bringing it to Ranga Reddy, I realized that the Admin Officer forgot to sign it. Back to Khairatabad, got the signature and submitted it. Thought everything was done. Then I am told I need to get the vehicle inspected at Kondapur. At Kondapur the guy asked to take a chassis imprint on 3 forms. With great difficulty, I maneuvered myself past the right tire and got the imprint with a broken pencil. The slimy inspector at Kondapur looked at the Qualis and immediately smelled money, thinking it was a taxi. I told him this was one of the only 3 Qualis Petrol vehicles in Hyderabad and we treat the vehicle as a family member. That shut him up and he signed; got it approved by the RTO Kondapur.

Will submit it tomorrow to RTA Ranga Reddy. Lets see what is in store. What I want to say in conclusion is that mine was a case that would have never gone through. I was able to do everything myself because I kept ALL papers in tact, right from the time of purchase. If any of the documents had been missing I would have been in deep doodoo. In fact I scan any important document and keep it safely store in CDs.

I learnt from RTO Ranga Reddy that it will take around 1 - 1.5 months for the smart card to come because they will contact Pune to verify all the documents. However he assured me that I will get a paper vouching for the fact that my registration is current and valid and that I can merrily drive the vehicle around.

So the moral of the story is a) Don't procrastinate - do all the paperwork as fast as you can; you may not be lucky
b) Keep all papers safely and preferably scan them. (Remember BCP and DRP). Failure to do a) and b) will most likely will cause situations which may blow up right when you least expect them to.

I will post a shorter article on what documents are needed and what is the procedure to get this whole process done (without the theatrics).

cheers

- Krishnan
ksakotai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 11:45   #69
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I am based in Delhi and am looking to buy a Jeep from Bangalore and will be driving it in Delhi.
Need your help with information on how to go about getting a Bangalore registered Jeep transferred on my name n Can i drive the Jeep with KA number plate in Delhi.
Old 20th September 2012, 16:38   #70
Senior - BHPian

My friend is interested in a Bangalore registered car currently available outside KA. He wish to buy and bring it back to Bangalore. How can we check the genuineness of the car? whether RTO office in Bangalore will provide such information?

Any website to check whether it is involved in a crime? (We checked BTP website for traffic violations)
Old 21st September 2012, 10:23   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Any website to check whether it is involved in a crime? (We checked BTP website for traffic violations)
I don't think there is a website that gives details about crime involvement, if any. You will need to do police verification for this(this is one of the process to get NOC as well).
Old 14th October 2012, 11:30   #72
BHPian

Dear Friends,
I need your help in sorting a complicated case for me.

Currently My Car is registered in my company name at MH01 RTO. I stay in Thane, MH04 RTO inside the Octroi limits.
I have decided to switch jobs and will shift to Gurgaon.
Options are:
1. Get ownership transferred to my name at my thane address but then I'll have to shell out a heavy octroi
2. Get ownership transferred to my Name directly in Gurgaon but then Road Tax will be applicable which is ok, but i wont have any valid address proof there.

Can anyone advice is option 2 as simple as i have put and secondly how much will be the cost for second option and if there are any good RTO agents who can do it for me?
Old 26th November 2012, 10:18   #73
Senior - BHPian

I did a cursory search for a situation like this but couldn't find it, hence posting.

I have put up my RE Thunderbird for sale and was approached by a couple asking for it. They are from Israel. I believed that they are probably settled in India for some time and so could purchase the bike from me. But they actually intend to pay me for the bike, ride and use it and then sell it off before they leave. As in, I will be filling in the forms for the transfer but they will be using these forms only when they are selling it. This essentially leaves me being the legal owner of the bike for as long as they use it. This naturally has put me off from the sale.

But, is there an option for foreign nationals to own a pre-owned Indian vehicle. What are the procedures if they need to transfer it in their name?
Old 5th December 2012, 19:54   #74
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

I am planning to buy a car in tamilnadu and bring it to Karnataka for registration. What all are the documents that I need to collect from the current owner?
Old 11th December 2012, 17:51   #75
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
I am planning to buy a car in tamilnadu and bring it to Karnataka for registration. What all are the documents that I need to collect from the current owner?
Hey Arun, me thinks you will need to first change the ownership in TN get a NOC from the RTO, and then follow the procedure to move the registration to KN, more details on moving state can be found here. Remember it is not cheap. If it is from a known person you can consider first changing the registration to KN and then transfer of ownership. Not sure, but possibly in either case you or the seller will need a residence proof in both states. Would let the experts comment.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 12th December 2012 at 18:52. Reason: editing as reported.
kmadhok is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks