Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2005, 16:57   #1
Team-BHP Support

Transfering a vehicle within India: Procedures

I need some information regarding the regulations and fees for transfering a vehicle within India.

For e.g. A vehicle bought in Bangalore and meant for use in Mumbai. What are the formailities and costs involved? what are the taxes payable? What paperwork should the buyer ensure he has? Just to confuse matters a bit more, lets say the vehicle is an imported one.

Any links to this information would be helpful, but nothing like firsthand user reports!

Cheers
Old 1st February 2005, 23:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Rtech, very nice topic.
But I am very doubtful regarding the imported car part, coz there is a lot of Jhol involved.

Neways cant comment much abt state transfer , but If u buy a Thane registerd car , is
MH-04, MH-43, or any of others except Mh01/2/3--- Mumbai reg cars, lets say , u buy a second hand car for 2 lak rupees, and u wish o xfer the car to yr address in mumbai , the octroi applicable is 4.5% of Rupees 2 lak, ie===Rs.9000/-
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2005, 23:42   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

r tech u need three forms form28 form 29 and noc certificate(if interstate transfer) and your local crime branch noc(if applicable)to get the vehicle transferred,the fees involved are not too much if the raod tax paid is lifetime...............anshuman
Old 2nd February 2005, 10:32   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys.

Dipen, you say the octroi in Mumbai is 4.5% of the value of the car. Now what if the vehicle to be transfered is 10 yers old, and the original invoice or customs slip is not available.

I just spoke to a RTO agent this morning asking him about the different scenario's. He says that if there is no invoice, he can make one here. An RTO officer would evaluate the bike and decide its value! Ofcourse, it depends on what you pay I guess.

Aside from the forms mentioned above by Anshuman, I guess a vehicle fitness certificate would also be required. Although this would be taken care off before the NOC is issued I would presume.

It's crazy that in 2005, its so hard to find one reliable source for this information. Even the WIAA themselves are confused on this matter!
Old 24th August 2005, 14:06   #5
BHPian

Seeling car Pune registartion to Mumbai Guy

Hi,

I am in same Dileama . I want to Sell my Pune registered Santro to Mumbai Guy.( 5 year old)

So What would be the charges the guy would have to paye to register the car in his name apart from the transfer fees of Rs. 750
Old 24th August 2005, 15:24   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hmm, you guys don't have a website like this?

http://rto.kar.nic.in/to_os_veh.htm
Old 24th August 2005, 23:55   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Hmm, you guys don't have a website like this?

http://rto.kar.nic.in/to_os_veh.htm

unable to acess the site. !!
Old 25th August 2005, 11:01   #8
BHPian

i have one more question???
what if i bring a Bike from Hyderabad (AP) to Bangalore(KA) and staying here for few months...
do i have to pay any tax as i am here for only few months...
Old 25th August 2005, 11:16   #9
Team-BHP Support

I went through the entire procedure of transferring my car from company name to mine and then the next step was to get it to Noida. However i did not change my KA registeration as delhi does not have problem with out of state vehicles.
For the transfer procedure it is pretty simple.
1. Get a NOC from the police. You will need to fill up a form(ask any RTO counter).
2. Go the the state where you want transfer and then give NOC there, pay road tax and change number
3. Get a photocopy of the old RC and give to old RTO for refund on the Road tax

Paperwork:
RC/Insurance/Address proof
Need to have chasis no and engine no in proper shape so you can use the carbon pensil to take an impression.
If you go to a tout you will pay around 1500rs extra. If you go alone you will spend around 2 weeks as compared to 3 days.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2008, 10:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

procedure for interstate tranfer of bike

hi,

let me tell you the problem,
i have a maharashtra(pune) registered bike, i brought it to banglaore(Kar) in dec 2005 after taking NOC from pune RTO, and paid the road tax in bangalore RTO(did not register it here,no number change) for usage in karnataka, now i need to send it to chennai for my brother can someone advice what is the procedure for the same

1)do i need to register it in bangalore and take NOC from here
2)can i take it directly to chennai and register it there, is the pune NOC issued to bangalore RTO valid there?

Thanks

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread merged. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th July 2008 at 10:57. Reason: Search!!!
Old 9th July 2008, 20:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
hi,

let me tell you the problem,
i have a maharashtra(pune) registered bike, i brought it to banglaore(Kar) in dec 2005 after taking NOC from pune RTO, and paid the road tax in bangalore RTO(did not register it here,no number change) for usage in karnataka, now i need to send it to chennai for my brother can someone advice what is the procedure for the same

1)do i need to register it in bangalore and take NOC from here
2)can i take it directly to chennai and register it there, is the pune NOC issued to bangalore RTO valid there?

Thanks
if anyone had any information please update, or if there you have any agents contact near karmangala bangalore kindly provide it
Old 10th July 2008, 12:31   #12
BHPian

One basic question:
Is it mandatory to change the number once you get your vehicle to a new state ?
Suppose I buy a used car from M.P to be ised in Karnataka, do I HAVE to change the number as well or is it enough to just pay the road tax and use it forever ?

Another question:
It has happened with me, when I got my car from Orissa to Karnataka, I wanted to pay the road tax. On investigation I found that the Road tax on a used vehicle would be some 8% (varies with the age of the car, mine was a 2002 model) on the Invoice amount which was coming out to be around 45k.
However a couple of RTO agents were ready to do it for as low as 25k....how would they do it ? Is it possible to bribe the RTO and pay lesser road tax on a used vehicle or was I being fooled ? I am yet to transfer my vehicle BTW.
Old 10th July 2008, 15:07   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is it mandatory to change the number once you get your vehicle to a new state ?
Suppose I buy a used car from M.P to be ised in Karnataka, do I HAVE to change the number as well or is it enough to just pay the road tax and use it forever ?
I think its mandatory. When we transferred our Esteem from MP to Maharashtra, we got a new MH number allocated automatically.

Even if its not mandatory, you should get a new number anyways. Traffic cops (especially KA) pounce on out-state cars like they do on chicken tikka.
Old 10th July 2008, 15:13   #14
Team-BHP Support

From reading the rule books, it appears that you have 11 months before paying road tax.
Now this begets the question.
Suppose person A buys a car in Delhi
Goes to Ka for 10 months, and then is transferred to MH for another 6 months, and then to some other XYZ state.
There are people in central services who are shunted like that.
So the onus of proving that the person has been in that state for less than 12 months is on the Policeman or Driver?
Since our law says "Innocent until proven guilty" how can police challan for out of state number plate before proving that the person has been driving in the said state for 11 months.
Also what do people living in border towns do.
for example Somebody who lives in KA but goes to work at Hosur and has a TN numberplate, or vice a versa.
Are there any clear guidelines for the same?
Old 10th July 2008, 15:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think its mandatory. When we transferred our Esteem from MP to Maharashtra, we got a new MH number allocated automatically.

Even if its not mandatory, you should get a new number anyways. Traffic cops (especially KA) pounce on out-state cars like they do on chicken tikka.
it is not mandatory to get a new local number, i got my maharashtra registered bike to bangalore and only paid the road tax, but now since i need to take it to chennai i donno what to do

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks