Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2010, 22:29   #481
BANNED

BSM is calling it a supercar slayer! WTH 291 bhp, 6.6 seconds to 100 and supercar slayer? I am sorry have I missed something.
Old 18th November 2010, 22:55   #482
Team-BHP Support

C'mon fellas! Don't dismiss the mighty Evo X just yet. Let's put it in perspective first.

For around 60 lakhs OTR Bangalore, you get a car that produces close to 300 horses and that translates into seriously quick times off-the-mark and there is no doubting that! And it comes with four-doors and a boot! 60 Lakhs may be a bit off, but the closest thing that can match or even beat the Evo's performance figures is a Boxster/Z4. And those cars are a good 20 lakhs more OTR.

Yes, it's blasphemy to compare a thoroughbred sports-car to a family sedan with a bonnet-scoops and spoilers, but in terms of practicality, the Evo delivers in dollops! And all that combined with sports-car performance figures and fantastic looks, the Evo might just do decently.

Besides, I don't even think Mitsubishi is looking at selling many Evo's. The purpose of the Evo in our market can be compared to the purpose of Fiat's 500 when it was introduced here. It's just here to build brand-image.

It's like Mitsubishi saying: "See, here is a car that we make. It's fast, it's powerful and it's good looking. It's rally-bred and it can beat many sports-cars and seat 5 people. And our other cars are based on it! Have a look at them once your done drooling over the Evo!"
Old 18th November 2010, 23:17   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalkrishnan View Post
By the way internationally Mitsubishi offers only 6 months warranty.
In the UAE, Evo X comes with a warranty period of 3year/60000Km.

Chk here - Lancer Evolution
Old 19th November 2010, 03:55   #484
Senior - BHPian

Best practical sport sedan... or is it ??

The problem with selling an EVO is , Apart from us enthusiasts it just looks like any other 2010 Lancers for normal buyers. So if a buyer is going to shell out 50 lakhs for a car the obvious choices are there just in front of him , Audi , BMW or Merc's. Who would ever think of a Lancer in that price range ?

Yes it's a given that this has to be the most practical sports sedan on sale in India so that's a +1 point for it but then the negatives for it are poor fuel economy and practically no warranty at all to make things worse.

But like most of you said , Mitsubishi are not seriously planning to sell this car in huge numbers here in India. It's just for improving whatever image they have left over here now. We for once wish if it was for more than just that
Old 19th November 2010, 13:30   #485
BHPian

At this price I would rather go for a 530d with 0-100 Km/h in 6.3 seconds + 5 year / 100,000 kms inclusive maintenance package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Rs 49.95 Lakhs - Ex-showroom Delhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
warranty of only 6 months or 10 thousand kilometers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
WTH 291 bhp, 6.6 seconds to 100 and supercar slayer?
Old 19th November 2010, 14:02   #486
BHPian

I am waiting for the comments from hardcore mitsu fans who'd say that no one can compare a BMW [and the like] with an EVO [How predictable! ]

Just because of this group, HM/Mitsu has an audacity will even think of launching Evo at this price.
Old 19th November 2010, 15:06   #487
Senior - BHPian

How can they build brand image after pricing EVO in such an unrealistic manner? If its only a formality of "being there" that they had to do this, then its fine.
Old 19th November 2010, 18:02   #488
Senior - BHPian

I was reading the review of Evo X by JC. He calls it "eye-wateringly brilliant". See some quotes below...

Quote:
The heart and soul in question was its ability to remain composed and absolutely controllable in a lairy, tyre-smoking four-wheel drift. No other car I’d driven was able to do this, even slightly. It was exquisite.

The new car is even better because when you turn into a corner it’s the back that steps out of line. This means that even the portal through which you must pass to get at the meat and veg is full of hair-tingling joy.

Of course there are lots of buttons you can press to make the handling different but those are for geeks and bores. All I can report is that the basics of this car – the core – are monumentally, toweringly, eye-wateringly brilliant.

Then there’s the speed. Yes, a Ferrari 430 is full of brio and passion but get an Evo X on your tail and I guarantee that, unless it’s being driven by a complete spanner, you will not be able to shake it off.
Old 19th November 2010, 18:36   #489
Senior - BHPian

Even a big mistu fan wont buy the evo for 50L Im sure they would prefer the 5 series.
If I had 50L to spend on a car I would surely buy the 5 series.

And 6 months warranty? Is that for real? What was Mistu/HM thinking ? Even a Nano comes with 1 year warranty. The EVO looks like an Epic Fail

Last edited by Captain Slow : 19th November 2010 at 18:46.
Old 19th November 2010, 19:26   #490
Senior - BHPian

I am glad people are getting the point and not blindly even thinking of an EVO. I so wish not even one unit of this car sells in India. Totally horrible Price and the most horrible warranty. 10 thousand kilometers. SHEESH, Some cars have their 2nd free service at 10 thousand km.

It should have a proper launch with service stations all over India equipped to handle this beast with competitive pricing for it to even come remotely close to selling.
Old 19th November 2010, 20:28   #491
Senior - BHPian

No one really knows what the Guys at Mitsubishi are smoking , but i bet it has to be good. First they price their Montero at ridiculously high price and now the EVO. Can it get worse than this for Mitsubishi ?

They will surely price the 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer also at this idiotic level, no use in them bringing their vehicles to India.
Old 20th November 2010, 01:19   #492
BHPian

I almost had a heart attack seeing the price. 50 lakh!!!
BMW 5 series would trump this anyday.
Personally I'd go for an Audi A4 3.2 Tsi Quattro or the 3.0 Tdi Quattro. Both also do 0-100 in under 6.5 seconds, and are way better cars. Have much nicer interiors and also come in AWD.

Mitsubishi Epic Fail
Old 22nd November 2010, 14:37   #493
BHPian

Just my personal opinion, it is never about money but "value for money" when it comes to car buying decisions. First things first, every single damn car in India is more expensive than most of the major international markets where it is present. So pricing is the first challenge for auto companies.

Secondly, lets look at examples around in our market. Toyota Camry base model is priced at 22 lacs which to me is atrocious, given that it is 14 lakhs here in Philippines. Toyota Fortuner is priced at 20 lacs which has a manual gear box and the dashboard of Innova, same model is priced at 13 lakhs in Philippines. Recently launched Hyundai Santa Fe is also almost 7 lakhs cheaper in Philippines. Some more examples, Honda CRV base model in India is 22 lakhs whereas in Philippines it is 12 lakhs. Honda Civic is 11 lakhs for base model in India whereas in Philippines it is 8 lakhs.

I could go on giving examples but lets talk about Evo X here. It is priced at 36 lakhs here in Philippines and we know the India price. Those who know the legend of Mitsubishi Evolution series will never argue that it is perhaps one of the best sports cars ever made. It is not for volume sales and those who buy and drive it know it very well.

Mercs, BMWs & Audis are great car companies but comparison is badly misplaced. Auto markets have space for sports cars like Evos and there are people who will buy it though it is not for the mass market just like Porsche cars are not meant for masses.

I am glad Evo made it to Indian market as India deserved the legend of Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution!
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:34   #494
BHPian

I wouldn't say its a completely misplaced comparision.

The A4 3.2 Tsi can definitely be considered a direct competitor, and the A4 does, in this case provide better "value for money". It's not something that can be considered a mass market car either.

But yeah, it really is nice to get the Evo in India.
Old 22nd November 2010, 20:13   #495
Senior - BHPian

Everyone here have just one worry. We all know that foreign cars here in India are taxed heavily and the privileged don't mind paying it at all if it's a fair price with value.

My doubt is everywhere else in the world the EVO X is priced on par with the Audi A4 and BMW 3 Series which has made it a huge hit for its value for money.Which means the EVO X should have been priced at around 35-40 Lakhs max.
But only in India it's priced in the range of the 5 series and A6.
What is Mitsubishi trying to prove here ?

The way i see it , the only reason why people would opt for the evolution is for its performance to value proposition. But with the price tag of 50 Lakhs you can forget the value part now.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 22nd November 2010 at 20:28. Reason: Repost within 10 mins
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks