Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2010, 20:23   #496
Senior - BHPian

Finally EvoX is launched in India.Website of Mitsubishi India doesnt show technical details except a small insert.
Old 23rd November 2010, 14:18   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura View Post
For 50L+ , i would buy a slightly used Nissan GTR.
And where would you find a slightly used GTR?

About the EVO, its sad that such a fantastic car is priced so insanely wholly due to it coming as a CBU. If ever Mitsu starts making them here, its gonna give 3,A4,C a run for their money.
Old 23rd November 2010, 14:42   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrman View Post
And where would you find a slightly used GTR?

About the EVO, its sad that such a fantastic car is priced so insanely wholly due to it coming as a CBU. If ever Mitsu starts making them here, its gonna give 3,A4,C a run for their money.
May be not a GTR, but a Volvo S60 with a turbocharged 3L developing 304bhp and 440kg torque @ 26L would be good.

Volvo S60 First Drive Review

Dont expect it to have the same handling and fun of Evo, but hey it will be priced half of the ridiculously priced Evo and can do a 0-100 in 6.5s.
Old 23rd November 2010, 16:16   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
May be not a GTR, but a Volvo S60 with a turbocharged 3L developing 304bhp and 440kg torque @ 26L would be good.

Volvo S60 First Drive Review

Dont expect it to have the same handling and fun of Evo, but hey it will be priced half of the ridiculously priced Evo and can do a 0-100 in 6.5s.
That's a nice find and apt comparison of value for money. Honestly i never heard about Volvo making such a good car and at such astonishing value.Is it already on sale in India ?. After reading the review i think you're absolutely right Skywalker. Its really worth considering and buying the S60.
Old 23rd November 2010, 17:12   #500
BHPian

I wonder what are the Japs charging so much for?

great sports car?!?! good engineered product?!?

how on the earth is it a well engineered product when the company itself can't take the responsibility of it? 6 months / 10000 Kms warranty for a car this expensive!!! heck the Punto's first service is at 15000 kms.

I am appalled to see that bhpians here are saying that mitsubishi anyways doesn't expect to sell huge numbers here. I don't think they would be able to sell even a car a quarter here with this kind of pricing and offers.

if i want to be practical i would rather buy the 5 series OR the a4 quattro. if i want pure fun and exclusivity, i would buy the ariel atom.

I definitely wouldn't buy the evo X just to rush to the grocers with wife and kids, and load the boot with the day's shopping. and if i am that rich to afford a 50 lac Rs. car, then definitely i would have quiet a few in the garage to solve that purpose of boot and practicality.

why mitsubishi why??
Old 24th November 2010, 10:13   #501
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I've ended up rather flummoxed after hearing the actual price; the Evo X costs 60 odd lakhs on the road in Mumbai. On the one hand, I am EXTREMELY glad to see an extreme performance sedan launched in India. On the other, I fail to understand HM's pricing strategy. For instance, the Audi 3.2 FSI and the EVO X cost about the same in the UK. In India however, the top loaded Audi 3.2 FSI with ALL bells & whistles retailed for 48 lakhs on the road. Why the extra 13 - 14 lakhs for an Evo? This is going to be a market dud, much like the competent & overpriced Montero.

Butttttttttttttttttt here's what I'm really excited about. One Mumbai dude has fully paid up and is expecting delivery in the coming week. God bless, and I hope there are some more lads like him. As a result, in year 2013, we can expect pre-worshipped EVO Xs for 25 - 30 lakhs. Now, that would be something, eh?

Start saving up
Old 24th November 2010, 10:17   #502
Senior - BHPian

GTO, Now, my heart beat doubles!. 3 years down the line, a pre-worshipped EVO X for 25-30 Lakhs. Man, it would be the dream thing that could happen.
Old 24th November 2010, 11:23   #503
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Butttttttttttttttttt here's what I'm really excited about. One Mumbai dude has fully paid up and is expecting delivery in the coming week. God bless, and I hope there are some more lads like him. As a result, in year 2013, we can expect pre-worshipped EVO Xs for 25 - 30 lakhs. Now, that would be something, eh?

Start saving up
I heard about that too. Luckily the guy has lots of money, and good choice, which isnt very common. Hopefully he will give the poor 458 a break and rip around in the Evo
Old 24th November 2010, 11:47   #504
Senior - BHPian

Well after reading so much about the evo - I found one evo 8 on craigslist (near where I live) for 14K USD (around 6-7 lakhs). Pity I do not have anything near that amount here. But I am sure people would have pounced on this if it was sold for the same price in India.
Have a look - for your eyes only - 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
Old 25th November 2010, 11:54   #505
WRX
BHPian

What is HM/Mitsubishi thinking with this absurd pricing strategy?! In the U.S the Evo X retails for $35k, factor in 120% duty and it should have been a done deal. Either Mitsu is offering dealers huge margins or it doesn't really want to sell to many units in India.
Old 25th November 2010, 12:43   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I've ended up rather flummoxed after hearing the actual price; the Evo X costs 60 odd lakhs on the road in Mumbai. ...For instance, the Audi 3.2 FSI and the EVO X cost about the same in the UK. In India however, the top loaded Audi 3.2 FSI with ALL bells & whistles retailed for 48 lakhs on the road. Why the extra 13 - 14 lakhs for an Evo? T
Couldn't agree more. That price is very disappointing to say the least.

But may I be allowed to share my thoughts in the open, at such an enthusiasts' forum, should we be comparing golf sets and cricket kits based on price, and draw conclusions as "value" is a very subjective perception (don't skin me for the grammar) ? Apologies in advance!
Old 25th November 2010, 14:52   #507
Senior - BHPian

Now we have complete downloadable brochure on the Mitsu website

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.in/i.../pdf/evo-x.pdf
Old 25th November 2010, 15:00   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX View Post
What is HM/Mitsubishi thinking with this absurd pricing strategy?! In the U.S the Evo X retails for $35k, factor in 120% duty and it should have been a done deal. Either Mitsu is offering dealers huge margins or it doesn't really want to sell to many units in India.
I believe it is being imported as a CBU and that attracts a duty of approximately 300%. I wonder why they did not go the CKD route then duty would have been 110~120%.
Old 25th November 2010, 15:25   #509
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Couldn't agree more. That price is very disappointing to say the least.

But may I be allowed to share my thoughts in the open, at such an enthusiasts' forum, should we be comparing golf sets and cricket kits based on price, and draw conclusions as "value" is a very subjective perception (don't skin me for the grammar) ? Apologies in advance!

Golf-clubs and cricket-bats. That's a very crisp way of putting it. Just because they might fall within the price-bracket or thereabouts, they have different value. It all boils down to your priority at the end of the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I believe it is being imported as a CBU and that attracts a duty of approximately 300%. I wonder why they did not go the CKD route then duty would have been 110~120%.
Well, I don't think it's feasible for Mitsubishi to start assembling the Evo X in India. They are just testing the waters here at the moment. And jumping in with an assembly plant exclusively for the Evo might set them back. The demand for the Evo X is definitely not as much as the A4 3.2 in our kind of market, where people would prefer to spend their 40 lakhs on a status-symbol rather than an out-right performance car.

Most people who are able to afford an expensive car and think of buying one that's worth 40 lakhs are probably middle-aged and would like to buy something that makes them feel that they've arrived in life. And how many of them would want a race-bred, Japanese 4-door sedan on steroids that is meant for the Play-Station generation?

That's precisely why Mitsubishi isn't interested in the CKD/SKD route just yet. There isn't much of a market for it at the moment and setting up a plant to facilitate assembly would only eat away whatever profits they've managed to garner over the years. They'd rather import and sell a small number of Evos and market them as expensive toys that would probably enhance lift the Mitsubishi image in the bargain. And I'm pretty sure that's what Mitsubishi are looking at doing.

This is just the platform for the entry of the new Lancer that's due sometime next year.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th November 2010 at 15:28.
Old 25th November 2010, 15:46   #510
Senior - BHPian

what exactly would serve competition to the EVO apart from the 370z?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks