Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2008, 00:26   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pani View Post
Does it make sense to move to consumer forum in case Ford doesnt consider warranty ??
Warranty has a lot of fine print.
Sadly, after market accessories comes in that. Just by virtue of that being on the car the warranty is void.
I planned to get a new pair of horns with a relay new horn switch, through a new wiring from the battery, w/o cutting any wire-that apprntly makes warranty void.
2nd option was to fix a Roots Male tone horn, even that,"non ford approved" part makes warranty void.

Last edited by gendarmee : 1st April 2008 at 00:41. Reason: adding smiley
Old 1st April 2008, 00:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

This is pure bull. After sales is trying to cover up their rears even though its clearly something that was because of a defect. These guys deserve a notice from a lawyer.
Old 1st April 2008, 02:00   #18
BHPian

Saddened by reading the horrible accident. Luckily nobody got hurt.

Are all after market fitments banned by Indian car manufacturers? What exactly are the technicalities the companies are worried about if the wires are not cut and if the fitments are similar to OEMs?

Never heard of this clause in the olden age Premier Padminis and Ambassadors. Is it because they did not have 'Electronic modules and microprocessors'?

If one can prove that the after market fitment is not the culprit, ?as in this case, should not the company/ dealer take responsibility?

Ford is not some fly-by-night company; one can definitely hope they find out the cause for the fire and take responsibility if it is their fault.

I also wonder whether insurance will cover this.

Best Wishes.
Old 1st April 2008, 08:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Insurance will cover this.
Old 1st April 2008, 11:15   #20
BHPian

Thanks for your concerns and suggestions guys...
As for insurance covering it, yes they will but most of the damaged parts are plastic/fibre made and insurance only covers 50% of these parts. So its still going to be a large sum that my friend may have to pay (something around 40-50k even if insurance covers the damage). Ford spares, especially Fusion are very expensive.

I dont understand, if we are not supposed to fit in a Stereo then why is that provision given in the car with all the wiring pre-existing ?? Not even a single extra wire was added nor modified nor deleted to fit in the stereo.

I suppose if Cauvery Ford and Ford India both refuse to take any responsibility then both of them should be dragged to the Consumer Forum. I insist on Cauvery Ford because they should have clearly warned us not to fit in a Stereo outside the showroom.....they didnt even hint us about that.
It is such a common accessory that everyone fits in a car, if its so hazardous to the warranty and to the car then it should be mentioned in bold letters everywhere around the showroom and the customer should be made aware.....
Old 1st April 2008, 12:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Yes the insurance will cover it, but what about the depreciating parts.It will be a good amount from the pockets.Check whether the insurance taken covers fire too.
ram
Old 1st April 2008, 12:12   #22
Team-BHP Support

Please check with our member msharma_79, whose Ikon had caught fire owing to faulty fitment of fog lamps from some outside vendor. Check with him regarding how much insurance covered.

Here is the thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...unate-car.html
Old 1st April 2008, 12:33   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys, first of all we didnt cut/modify any wiring to fit in the Stereo. It was just plugged into the sockets provided at the dashboard panel.
If the stock wiring was not altered, there is no reason for Ford to put the blame on anyone else. If they do, its a shame. I suggest you speak to Ford India directly, and not the dealer. Tell them in no uncertain terms that you are willing to seek legal help. This is an almost certain case of the consumer court ruling in your favour.

Do have a look at this article. It has some pretty invaluable points that may be of help to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
I am no expert in this. But doesnt insurance help in this ?
They are supposed to cover fire and theft right?
Yes, insurance will offer coverage on this. Best compromise would be to have Ford pay the deductibles (unless there is a significant no claim bonus coming into the picture).
Old 1st April 2008, 13:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Knowing how the dealers would approach this, it would be prudent to take this issue straight to the company itself.
Old 1st April 2008, 13:39   #25
rkg
Senior - BHPian

It is not first time i have heard about FORD cars catching fire especially in INDIA.

even in the replies to this post one guy said his ford car also caught fire.

Few years back i have read in INDIAN EXPRESS about a ford ikon which caught fire in between bangalore and chennai. it burnt fully. FORD refused to honour warranty. Case went to consumer forum and it was ruled in favour of customer.

search the net for the references to earlier instances and get ready for court cases as a precaution. if ford accepts it is fine otherwise you have to fight it out

Similar case were there against Mercedes. in the past two years three instances were published in news papers about mercedes cars catching fire . two in delhi and one in tirupati.

I just wonder what would be the reaction if it is a TATA instead of great FORD. Atleast I have never read/heard poorly built, poor quality Indica/indigo/safari/sumo, catching fire and burning fully.
Old 1st April 2008, 13:40   #26
BHPian

Hi,
After going through the entire discussion, in my opinion
1) Contact the company directly - dealer will not be of much help or if you have friendly terms with him then he may guide in plugging any gaps at your end.
2)
Quote:
I don’t understand, if we are not supposed to fit in a Stereo then why is that provision given in the car with all the wiring pre-existing?? Not even a single extra wire was added nor modified nor deleted to fit in the stereo.
I completely agree on the above. If company is providing the entire wiring on the car it means that the car is ready to be fitted with the stereo and I don't think they specify that this can happen only at the AD. Dealer though uses this to make us buy from them. (at a higher cost)

3) Make a strong case using the pictures of the damaged car, put the documents of the service history of the car to emphasize the good health of the car and start the communication in writing. It may take time but you should get the positive results.

4) Insist on getting the balance refund after the insurance claim - since it will be almost half the cost - probability of agreement is more. After all your objective should be get the repairs done at minimal cost.

All the best and keep us updated.

Last edited by an10 : 1st April 2008 at 13:44.
Old 1st April 2008, 14:00   #27
BANNED

I hope the dealer will not going to touch the vehicle till Ford gets back with a reply. So, is the vehicle untouched as of now?

I dont think insurance will reimburse full costs and if Ford bears the remaining, it is well and good.

My motto is, "in case of dispute, be prepared to take the matter to court". If Ford disowns liability, courts is where you have to be prepared to take your matter.

Since commencing of repairs will wipe out crucial evidence, I suggest you get the vehicle surveyed by an insurance surveyor of your choice. Apart from a normal damage assessment, ask him to specifically report on whether any wires were cut for install the stereo, its power consumption, type and capacity of battery
Old 1st April 2008, 22:56   #28

even if it is their fault ford will never ever own upto it.something like this had happend to my colleague"s ford ikon it was burnt to a crisp.They just try to pass on the blame
Old 2nd April 2008, 09:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it would be a fight, since by taking ownership they loose their credibility and you know how we work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nish View Post
even if it is their fault ford will never ever own upto it.something like this had happend to my colleague"s ford ikon it was burnt to a crisp.They just try to pass on the blame
Old 2nd April 2008, 09:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

and apart from what every one has advised, you can contact member - shivsuma who waged a very long battle with FORD in blore in the consume court and won..

maybe u can take help from him and his lawyer///

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks