Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2008, 13:53   #16
BHPian

Mates the car would be priced at around 25lakhs plus which will come in one full option and would be fully loaded. Sources have revealed that the Hummer H3 would be getting a V6 Diesel engine. The Company would be launching the engine in India even before launching it in its home country of America. This shows the amount of confidence that GM has shown in the Indian Market. The company might also launch its 3.7 Lt Ecotec engine which develops around 242 hp and 242lb of torque. The Hummer H3 might be launched with a petrol engine first then followed by the diesel. This is still not sure as to which would make it first to the indian customers.
Old 1st April 2008, 14:03   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Here is a picture. It looks big. I am wondering what engine they will put in it. Anybody know the specs?
@DirtyDan, the H3 only looks big in that picture, it isn't any bigger than the normal Toyota Landcruiser. They introduced it two years ago with a 3.5L I5, later brought out a 3.7L I5 and this year they are introducing a 5.3L V8. Weighs in at little over 2000 kilos and is capable of 242hp @5600rpm and produces 242 lbft torque at 2800rpm. Averages around 15.7L/100km in city driving and 11.5L/100km in highway driving.

The 5.3L V8 comes in the H3 Alpha and produces 300hp with a towing capability of 2722kgs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Google says this is an H3 Hummer. Are sure you want to pick a fight with Google and the Google Mafia? I hope your medical insurance is paid up, Boy. They exist in other places in the world, H3s do. Maybe some are lefties????
That is the H3 in the picture and it is available in LHD, after all it is from the US. The H3 is very popular here in the UAE as well, and even here it is the LHD model available. But they do make RHD models for other parts of the world as well.

In the UAE it sells for about AED 120,000. I don't know how much that would be in INR, but the figures I have seen bounced around in the previous post seem mighty high.
Old 1st April 2008, 16:24   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hurricane View Post
The Hummer H3 might be launched with a petrol engine first then followed by the diesel.
Lets hope better sensibility prevails, and they launch the turbo-diesel first. Big SUVs with thirsty petrols just dont cut it in India (ask Toyota!).
Old 1st April 2008, 16:31   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Lets hope better sensibility prevails, and they launch the turbo-diesel first. Big SUVs with thirsty petrols just dont cut it in India (ask Toyota!).
The petrol engine option available for the H3 are not bad, none go above 4.0L except for the high end 5.3L V8. The two lower options - 3.5L I5 and 3.7L I5 are reasonable considering the size and capability of this vehicle.
Old 1st April 2008, 16:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Actually the Mitsu Montero D is not doing much better either. That whole segment is struggling. For 40L, looks like people prefer an E200K to either of these.

Now the H3 is for the style crowd and is nowhere as roomy inside.
Old 1st April 2008, 18:26   #21
BHPian

Actually the Mitsu Montero D is not doing much better either. That whole segment is struggling. For 40L, looks like people prefer an E200K to either of these.

What Mpower said is right about the pricing factor... but then the Hummer is like a Legend.... ask any one if they want to own a Hummer during their lifetime. They always say a yes..... its like the easiest way to stardom..... what do u say guys?
Old 1st April 2008, 18:29   #22
BHPian

What Mpower said was right about the price factor... but then the Hummer is a Legend.... Everyone want to own one... ask any person who knows about cars and they would swear to you that they would love to own one... its like the easiest way to stardom..... what do u say guys? am i right or wrong?
Old 1st April 2008, 18:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Company would be launching the engine in India even before launching it in its home country of America. This shows the amount of confidence that GM has shown in the Indian Market.
Or the lack of confidence America has in Diesels.
Old 1st April 2008, 20:10   #24
BHPian

The reason why GM is investing so much into the Indian operation is because of huge growth the company is showing over the past few year. in 2002 the company sold just about 10,000 units and in the year 2007 they sold 60,076 units which is a great achievement. GM is focusing on BRIC countries which stands for Brazil, Russia, India and China which are the fastest growing auto economies in the world today. so we lucky Indian would now be getting the best cars and the first ones to feel it too..... take for example the global launch of the Hyundai i10...... whats SRK said is right India get it first, the world can wait....
Old 1st April 2008, 21:33   #25

Cadillac in India

About GM's intention to launch the Cadillac CTS in India, in 2009, some historical notes may interest readers.

The first Cadillac was built in 1902, before you and I were born.

Cadillacs have been built and sold without interruption for 106 years (true, no passenger cars were built from February 1942 up to October 1945, owing to WW2, but during the war Cadillac engines and motor parts were built to power tanks, other military vehicles, even fighter planes).

The earliest Cadillac single-cylinder cars had a reputation for toughness, reliability and parts interchangeability. Company slogans of the day included "Craftsmanship, a creed, accuracy, a law" and "Standard of the World". In addition, Cadillac was FIRST with the electric self-starter (as from 1912) as well as the mass-produced V8 motor (starting in 1915). Only Cadillac ever built a production automobile with a 16-cylinder motor (from 1930 to 1940). For decades Cadillac was the world-leader in the mass-produced luxury car field.

In the 50s they became America's most luxurious cruisers for the new, Eisenhower, super-highway network. Cadillacs were no longer built tough (as they had been in the days of unpaved, narrow roads), but became super-luxurious for restful, super-highway travel in style.

It is a moot point whether the Cadillacs that I love and on which the company built its well-earned reputation are adpated to the Indian road system. However, a diesel-powered CTS might just do the trick.

Like some of your former Maharajas, I prefer the older Cadillac models (those from the mid-20s to the late 70s). I have owned one each from 1942, 1956, 1959 and two each from 1960, 1964 and 1976.

Finally, given a choice between a Hummer and a Cadillac CTS, I woud pick the CTS ...even though I'd rather have a plush Cadillac limousine of the early 60s!

To each his own.
I have got inside sources from my friends at GM India they have given the Hummer H3 to ARAI for approval after more than 18 months of testing on Indian conditions. The H3 would be launched with Diesel engine but engine Specifications has not yet be disclosed. The Company also plans to launch the all new Cadillac CTS by year end or early 2009. The Company is also seriously thinking at providing diesel engines as an option once its engine manufacturing plant becomes operational by next . The company is yet to finalize a location for the engine plant.cheers:
Old 1st April 2008, 21:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

nice to see the CTS with 3.6L V6 SIDI engine with 304 bhp, but I would love to see the 2009 CTS_v to be sold.
specs:

pushrod, 2 valves-per cylinder supercharged intercooled V8 engine

6.2 V8 LSA, same classic small block V8 found in chevrolet corvette ZR-1

550 BHP@6500 RPM

photos:
Attached Thumbnails
GM India Hummer H3 to be launched Mid 2008 and Cadillac 2008 end-cadillacctsv_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_0a.jpg  

GM India Hummer H3 to be launched Mid 2008 and Cadillac 2008 end-cadillacctsv_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_05.jpg  

GM India Hummer H3 to be launched Mid 2008 and Cadillac 2008 end-cadillacctsv_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_07.jpg  

GM India Hummer H3 to be launched Mid 2008 and Cadillac 2008 end-cadillacctsv_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_11.jpg  

GM India Hummer H3 to be launched Mid 2008 and Cadillac 2008 end-cadillacctsv_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_13.jpg  

GM India Hummer H3 to be launched Mid 2008 and Cadillac 2008 end-cadillacctsv_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_14.jpg  

Old 1st April 2008, 23:12   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I better start saving up for the H3. I can't wait to bulldoze my way through the pesky snail paced, overtaking lane hogging auto's ,taxi's and two wheelers.
Like this?

Old 2nd April 2008, 03:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Cost?

25 lakh??? There may be a Gypsy in my future.
Old 2nd April 2008, 10:35   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Mates the car would be priced at around 25lakhs plus which will come in one full option and would be fully loaded. Sources have revealed that the Hummer H3 would be getting a V6 Diesel engine. The Company would be launching the engine in India even before launching it in its home country of America. This shows the amount of confidence that GM has shown in the Indian Market. The company might also launch its 3.7 Lt Ecotec engine which develops around 242 hp and 242lb of torque. The Hummer H3 might be launched with a petrol engine first then followed by the diesel. This is still not sure as to which would make it first to the indian customers.
Are you pretty positive about the price? do you have info on the pirce for the CTS?
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

It says 25 lakhs plus. I guess the keyword here is "plus". For a brand such as Hummer, I dont see it to be priced anywhere close to 25L.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks