Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2009, 15:11   #121
BHPian

I think Volkswagen is taking the Indian market quite seriously and it does want to enter the numbers game.
VW, with its diverse portfolio, has its eyes set on the 5-10 lacs market with the Polo hatch and sedan. Additionally, they will have the Up! based small car by 2011 which will truly make them a mass market player.
Old 17th September 2009, 15:28   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
So are we getting the Fiesta hatchback in India?
Maybe, but not the current gen.
More details are available on this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-spy-pics.html
Old 18th September 2009, 01:23   #123
H2O
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Spd View Post
I drove a turbocharged Polo hatch when I was in America. It is a very "peppy" car, great handling - went like a rocket when you stepped on the Gas. Had a very short "throw" to the Gear box.
Hope they get this puppy to India. Would be worth it in the 6.5 - 7.5L range depending on the variant. 4.35 Lakhs is impossible, will never happen.
I think Polo below 6L will definately sell like anything.
Here in UK it starts upwards of £10K, and if VW brings new POLO, it might cost much more, may be at a samilar price of Honda Jazz.
Old 21st September 2009, 00:30   #124
Senior - BHPian

Not Just Polo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
As per the Hindu article, the additional notch car based on Polo will compete against the likes of Dzire, Logan, Fiesta, Verna and City etc. These two will shake up the premium hatch and entry sedan market in India.

This may translate to customers getting better products at lower prices.
Hey there all you Polo & VW fans - great news for you!!!

Promised amitv8 to keep an eye open for clicking the truck on test.

So today evening, went outside Pune - towards Bangalore - hoping that the indigo and tata truck would be returning after another trail.

I was right - but unfortunately this time the car was on the other side of the road, and could not get any pictures. And a different truck on test - with a lesser pair of wheels at the rear. Didn't feel like chasing him - what with wife and daughter thinking that dad has become loony!!

But I did go mad within a short while - I was seeing this car "Ibiza" with foreign plates in Pune every now and then. Wanted to find who produces the car and who is driving it here. The one which I saw earlier was a fantastic red coloured one - it really turned heads on the road. And what do I see today? A brilliant white Ibiza!

Wait a minute, what is he after going so fast? Chasing a VW Polo with TC plates? Spot a u-turn and head after him - but he is pretty fast; decided that some people had imported a few for fun!

No sooner do I ease up, there is a convoy of VW's!!! Believe me there are five cars in a group, all with foreign plates. Start the chase - wife and daughter are cursing a weekend turning into a nightmare - because they are instructed to pass the camera amongst them to click the pictures. We are going too fast - 100+ - and there is a Scorpio acting as a rear guard and preventing any pictures being snapped - wife is getting anxious, but daughter is game.

So I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. All credit to this lot goes to my daughter - Aswathi (I'll succeed in my endeavour to turn her into a automobile fan!! She is now involved with footbal and Fabregas - a little of bikes, Rossi & Stoner in between!! But she has plenty of future ahead!!)
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo for 4.35 lakhs - Business Standard-ibiza.jpg  

VW Polo for 4.35 lakhs - Business Standard-vw23.jpg  

VW Polo for 4.35 lakhs - Business Standard-vw24.jpg  

VW Polo for 4.35 lakhs - Business Standard-vw35.jpg  

VW Polo for 4.35 lakhs - Business Standard-vw39.jpg  

VW Polo for 4.35 lakhs - Business Standard-vw42.jpg  

VW Polo for 4.35 lakhs - Business Standard-vw43.jpg  

VW Polo for 4.35 lakhs - Business Standard-vw45.jpg  

VW Polo for 4.35 lakhs - Business Standard-vw47.jpg  

Old 21st September 2009, 00:42   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Well done, Aswathi!

Curious to see the Ibiza. I've wondered about Seat and India...
Old 21st September 2009, 00:47   #126
BHPian

Superb Pics. I just hope VW gets the equation right (looks, price, build, FE, A.S.S etc) with the Polo and Polo Sedan.
Old 21st September 2009, 00:47   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Hey there all you Polo & VW fans - great news for you!!!

Promised amitv8 to keep an eye open for clicking the truck on test.

So today evening, went outside Pune - towards Bangalore - hoping that the indigo and tata truck would be returning after another trail.

I was right - but unfortunately this time the car was on the other side of the road, and could not get any pictures. And a different truck on test - with a lesser pair of wheels at the rear. Didn't feel like chasing him - what with wife and daughter thinking that dad has become loony!!

But I did go mad within a short while - I was seeing this car "Ibiza" with foreign plates in Pune every now and then. Wanted to find who produces the car and who is driving it here. The one which I saw earlier was a fantastic red coloured one - it really turned heads on the road. And what do I see today? A brilliant white Ibiza!

Wait a minute, what is he after going so fast? Chasing a VW Polo with TC plates? Spot a u-turn and head after him - but he is pretty fast; decided that some people had imported a few for fun!

No sooner do I ease up, there is a convoy of VW's!!! Believe me there are five cars in a group, all with foreign plates. Start the chase - wife and daughter are cursing a weekend turning into a nightmare - because they are instructed to pass the camera amongst them to click the pictures. We are going too fast - 100+ - and there is a Scorpio acting as a rear guard and preventing any pictures being snapped - wife is getting anxious, but daughter is game.

So I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. All credit to this lot goes to my daughter - Aswathi (I'll succeed in my endeavour to turn her into a automobile fan!! She is now involved with footbal and Fabregas - a little of bikes, Rossi & Stoner in between!! But she has plenty of future ahead!!)
What is the SEAT Ibiza doing amongst those VWs? Is SEAT a VW group company? Moreover, were they all LHDs as tagged on their respective posteriors? I ask this because if they are UK spec cars, they would be running on alloys and not steel wheels, won't they!

P.S: Superb pictures btw, kudos to your daughter!

Last edited by wanderlustindia : 21st September 2009 at 00:49. Reason: Added some text
Old 21st September 2009, 00:55   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
What is the SEAT Ibiza doing amongst those VWs? Is SEAT a VW group company? Moreover, were they all LHDs as tagged on their respective posteriors? I ask this because if they are UK spec cars, they would be running on alloys and not steel wheels, won't they!

P.S: Superb pictures btw, kudos to your daughter!
That is why I fail to understand! And this is the second seat I am seeing with foreign plates. May be it belongs to expats in VW whose plant in Chakan (near Pune) is coming up pretty fast. May be they are helping out SEAT also for launching their cars in other parts of Asia?

No - only a couple had LHD plastered on the rear - predominantly it was the Polo diesel (because of the TDI badge).

The number plates were all foreign - under going homologation for the shortlisted ones?

By the way, they had a Scorpio following them - saw two people in it telling me not to take the pictures. And, none of the 5 cars ever allowed any one to overtake them - I tried rather hard, but the Scorpio was not having any of it.

Finally, the guys in the cars - neither they looked European nor looked like local drivers - people from other parts of VW plants?

Maybe somebody with access to VW can throw light!

Till them, all we can do is to hope for more sightings and wishful thinking!
Old 21st September 2009, 00:56   #129
Senior - BHPian

great pics!

yep, seat is part of the vw group.

I'm confused what is the ibiza for - engine testing? or are two cars going to be launched?

perhaps ibiza as a budget contender (4L) and polo to match fabia, jazz etc?

cheers
Old 21st September 2009, 01:06   #130
BHPian

Just visited the Frankfurt Motor Show and the Latest VW Polo pics are attched in the thread as mentioned below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...-2009-a-3.html.

Hope, VW brings same level of fit and finish to India.
Old 21st September 2009, 01:11   #131
Senior - BHPian

I guess VW might be considering the Seat Ibiza as an export model for europe,not to be introduced in the indian market.
Old 21st September 2009, 01:35   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
Moreover, were they all LHDs as tagged on their respective posteriors? I ask this because if they are UK spec cars, they would be running on alloys and not steel wheels, won't they!
IMO, If these had been UK Spec cars, they would still be RHD as UK has same driving position as us.

These are definitely German cars as can be confirmed by their registration plates which have 'D' under EU Circle in the blue part of plate. 'D' stands for Duestchland or Germany.

Old 21st September 2009, 03:38   #133
BHPian

awwww man. you have got to love those tail lamps man!! i have never seen such awesome taillamps in any car. not even on big super sports cars. they are unique!! don't you think guys.

i am waiting for the polo and pricing!! i really hope they bring the 1.2 TSi engine. 100 bhp of turbocharged pure refined madness!!!

oh i forgot to thank you!!!

you are not loony man. you are a BHPian.

Last edited by Caramelo : 21st September 2009 at 03:44.
Old 21st September 2009, 07:18   #134
BHPian

i guess the cars are being cutivesused by vw exe...they wouldnt test left hand drive polo because we have already seen right hand drive polos being tested..
anyway nice pics
Old 21st September 2009, 09:15   #135
Senior - BHPian

Woww..!! Great pictures brother. I hope that VW will launch these cars with right pricing and great features.By the way Hats off to your daughter Aswathi for the pictures
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks