Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 17:50   #91
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

if VW Polo comes at roughly SWIFT pricing levels it will be a killer. However, my guess is that the variant which comes in around the Top end Swift price level, will be the bottom end of the Polo range - similar to the base Fabia sitting around at the Top end Swift prices. this fact is a bit of a dampener.

I think the Japanese still have an edge when it comes to giving consumers fantastic functional and techologically sound products at nice prices - the europeans still havent quite figured it out though of course their build, solidity and overall finish etc is tops.

One would typically aspire to own the mid- to- top end Polo variants with most if not all the bells and whistles- the lowest end ones will be a bit bare bones - poor tyres, no alloys, and certainly less of the safety and comfort features etc.
Old 20th August 2009, 18:07   #92
BHPian

I think targeting Swift initially will be a big mistake. VW in its first or second year can not replicate Maruti's USP of low price, low cost maintenance and widest network of service stations, which Maruti has built up over more than 20 years. On the other hand VW has certain perceived USP like tough build, better quality, safety, better road holding and advanced features etc., which Maruti can not match. So VW should play its own game and not dilute its core values. There are enough customers who are willing to pay a better price for a better car.

Secondly with the failure of Fabia, the VW group has not yet understood the hatch market in India. So before attacking the leader, they should equip themselves properly for the fight. And if Polo is positioned against Swift then what happens to Fabia, as it has to be positioned below Polo. Will it be then positioned below Swift?

Last edited by akj53 : 20th August 2009 at 18:15.
Old 20th August 2009, 18:18   #93
BHPian

We will get what we pay for.
We pay Swift prices, we should expect to get a Swift.

Expectations have already been lowered: 1.2 liter three pot doing duty in the Fabia; 14 inch wheels; no integrated indicators in the mirrors; hard plastics; to say nothing of rain sensors, headlight washers, reverse sensors, integrated nav, TSI engines, DSG box and the like.

Maybe if it looks like a Polo, and goes like a Polo... wait, i guess just looking the part on the outside is all we shall get here.

If the Polo is being priced at Swift levels, are we are getting a better deal than our brethren who put down good money for the Fabia?
Or does it mean that the Polo will actually be positioned BELOW the Fabia? Which would be a first in the history of VW as a group.

I have shared the (UK) spec sheet elsewhere.
Anyone care to do the mental math and see how many of those features we can knock off to arrive at a Swift price?

At this rate, I think it might more sense from a VFM perspective to get an equivalent Skoda, however maligned the marque seems to have become.
Old 20th August 2009, 18:45   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm... so "Volkswagen" have their sights on becoming the "people's car" of India?

With a solidly-built vehicle they might even become the Ambassador of the future, with their cars on Indian roads for decades to come.

Unless, however, they intend to do some sort of loss-leader trick with the Polo (Count me in!), I can't see how they can possibly match the Swift, leaving the Fabia as the unwanted, expensive cousin.
Old 20th August 2009, 19:40   #95
BHPian

Whatever the price, I hope/wish they drop the latest Polo here with latest engines. One can now expect prices wont be at insane levels like Jazz. They shud probably price it like Punto, base version at 4.0lakhs range (ex-showroom) and fully loaded models at 5.5+ lakhs for Petrols and Diesels at 60 - 75k more than Petrol versions.
Old 20th August 2009, 21:10   #96
Senior - BHPian

polo with the latest engines can not be around 5.5 lacs even if they plan to donate cars to India and not charge their profits.
Old 20th August 2009, 22:00   #97
BHPian

If the Polo doesn't come with the latest VW engines (i.e. TSI and Bluemotion) and DSG and high quality interiors and equipment, then there's no point really.

If they want to play the price game, VW should just bring in the previous generation Polo and sell it with the 3-cylinder 1.2 petrol. Then throw out all the useless things (e.g. air conditioning, head restraints, electric windows, silencer), price it at 4.35L and hope that taxi fleets pick them up by the hundreds.

If its slow enough and hard to dent, it might give the Indica good competition.
Old 20th August 2009, 22:08   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
polo with the latest engines can not be around 5.5 lacs
I doubt if the 1.2 TSI will be priced at Swift levels. Now i fear we will get that 1.2 Petrol from Fabia. I think localisation content of Polo in the beginning would be around 50-60% . Lets hope for the 1.2 TDI to be launched!!!!
Old 21st August 2009, 00:51   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
Whatever the price, I hope/wish they drop the latest Polo here with latest engines. One can now expect prices wont be at insane levels like Jazz. They shud probably price it like Punto, base version at 4.0lakhs range (ex-showroom) and fully loaded models at 5.5+ lakhs for Petrols and Diesels at 60 - 75k more than Petrol versions.
Errr... in UK the Polo starts at 8 lakh, a diesel is going to be ten. I wonder if that even includes AC? Probably not.

4-lakh polo? It's a nice dream!
Old 21st August 2009, 03:35   #100
Senior - BHPian

The sedan

An artist's rendering of how the polo sedan could look like.

Courtesy: R o b e r t o - B e r n a r d o - R e n d e r i n g s: 2010 Volkswagen Polo Sedan & Polo Variant
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo for 4.35 lakhs - Business Standard-polo-sedan-yellow1.jpg  

Old 21st August 2009, 10:16   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Errr... in UK the Polo starts at 8 lakh, a diesel is going to be ten. I wonder if that even includes AC? Probably not.

4-lakh polo? It's a nice dream!
I know. Since VW in their announcements said they want to be a volume player and compete with the likes of Swift, I guessed that this wud be the price range(4 - 6lakhs) they wud be targetting.

I also know at this price range we cannot expect the latest engines and fancy equipments.

Well, if they are manufacturing the UK Polo - i mean with same specs and all, the prices levels you say is possible. I am not sure what the spec is going to be like for the Indian Polo.

Who wud anyways pay 8lakhs+ for an hatchback, maybe the few enthusiasts here. Not the common man.

So it boils down to what we will be offered. Are we getting the latest Polo(2010) with latest engines or latest Polo with Fabia engines , or an older version of Polo? If someone can answer this we can play the pricing game.
Old 21st August 2009, 10:53   #102
Senior - BHPian

I seriously hope they dont go overboard cheapening it, and end like the uno and the logan
Old 21st August 2009, 12:03   #103
Senior - BHPian

In the news it was spelt out loud and clear that Polo will start from 4.35L ex showroom.
Old 21st August 2009, 12:31   #104
Senior - BHPian

I see lot of discussion going on the pricing part but as per my knowledge the prices are generally announced along with product launch. Companies generally keep the pricing part under wrap till the last moment.

Competing with Swift is a good Bench mark to start with for VW, but will have to wait and see, as they don’t have Pan India sales/service network to handle swift like volumes.

Sister brands Skoda is really struggling to meet sales target & on top of it poor services reports & negative publicity has seriously dented Skoda’s image in the Indian market. If VW is sold through existing Skoda outlets then I am sure a brilliant product like Polo will take a severe beating owing to past customer experiences.

Finally, guys when is the POLO scheduled for launch ?
Old 21st August 2009, 15:01   #105
Senior - BHPian

Sometime in the first half of 2010,the sedan version will follow in the second half.Pre-production has already started in the Chakan plant.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed