Team-BHP - Will the swift hatchback be phased out???
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Will the swift hatchback be phased out??? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/37904-will-swift-hatchback-phased-out.html)

Dear BHPians,
Now with the launch of the swift dzire in the price range of 4.8 to 6 lakhs a question couldn't help linger in my mind.Even the Swift hatchback is similarly priced .... so who would buy that now?.I mean if u have a budget of
5 lakhs and wanted to buy a new car why would you buy the smaller swift hatch instead of the bigger dzire.
Does this mean the hatch will be phased out by Maruti ???

Moderator's note: Thread moved to proper section

nope i dont think so the swift hatch will phase out as its still the hottest selling hatch in india :)

It wont. For many reasons, most salient being:

1. Maruti is not in that habit. Else the Wagon R would be history by now after the Estilo's launch, the M800 - Alto etc

2. The Swift is doing extremely well - its a big money earner. And its new. Nothing around it has been able to touch its sales.

3. If anything the Swift will continue till 2015 (10 years is the average lifecycle of a car model in India) by which time it would be positioned in an other lower segment than now.

Almost impossible to phase out the hatchback Swift. When Hyundai had launched Getz GLS it was priced around 5.3 l on road . Accent GVS was around 6l on road. People who wanted a hatchback bought a Getz .
There might be some dent in Swift Sales cos of Dzire. But end of the day MSIL
is making sure it has a market in every segment. Suzuki will launch the Next Gen Swift in 2010 in US market. So hopefully we should facelift around then as Swift has been MSIL's main weapon.

hi,
if u remember when maruti launched the esteem they eventually phased out the
1000 because the esteem simply had a better engine than the 1000.And before the
esteem came out the 1000 was the best selling in its segment too.
Now that the dzire is out it has what the swift hatch lacked "a bigger boot".And it also has the same features engine etc of the swift... so how many of us will
perfer the hatch instead of the dzire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar (Post 783707)
so how many of us will
perfer the hatch instead of the dzire.

All those of us :

1. who dont have large families that need to be commuted regularly

2. who prefer a driver's car

3. who can live without the ugliness of the Dzire

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMAG (Post 783723)
All those of us :

1. who dont have large families that need to be commuted regularly

2. who prefer a driver's car

3. who can live without the ugliness of the Dzire

Hi mag,
think we are getting subjective right coz.. i guess it's more about practicality.
Since the indian consumer is generally a more family conscious guy plus the
dzire simply would give you more sheet metal per rupee i think it becomes the
obvious choice.I guess only time will tell.....

Oh Hai! It isnt the year 2030 yet. Or wait is it ?

Swift as a car will not get phased out due to Dzire. Some variants of Swift (Swift Zxi) might get phased out in order to create that differential between Swift & DZire variants.

One's a hatch, one's a 3-box. Where's the confusion ?

Lot of people who buy a hatch do so for the size (length). They feel comfortable to drive. it also consumes less parking space.

The market will continue to exist for the regular swift irrespective of the price of Dzire.
cheers:

I think the Swift hatch will still exist and the Dezire will get phased out earlier. :D

Now why would MUL want to kill one of its golden goose?
It would let both of them live together happily.

Someday, definitely. :D
But no chances of it happening any time soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar (Post 783732)
Hi mag,
think we are getting subjective right coz.. i guess it's more about practicality.
Since the indian consumer is generally a more family conscious guy plus the
dzire simply would give you more sheet metal per rupee i think it becomes the
obvious choice.I guess only time will tell.....

Mag is right. Across the globe we have models in dual 'avatars'. We had the Palio and Sienna doing the same.
And not to forget that the Dzire is slated only for India at the moment and Swift 'hatchback' as such has been a real crowd puller world wide.
Na it wont be phased out. Choose what one wants.