Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2008, 10:48   #1
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Taxis to have electronic printing meters

Taxis must now have electronic printing meters

Two weeks ago, Maharashtra State RTO made electronic meters with printers mandatory for new cabs. A measure to prevent cabbies from fleecing/overcharging the commuter.

But cabbies are unwilling to install printers.

Imagine if an official cab printout said,

How would the unscrupulous rip you off?
Predictably, the Unions are negotiating with the RTO.

Their grouse? An electronic meter costs Rs. 6,000. An electronic meter with printer costs Rs. 11,000 to 14,000.

It is mandatory to scrap black-and-yellow Premier Padminis which are older than the 1993 model year. The reality is that even 1998-2000 models are currently being scrapped.

Ref: Today's Times of India Mumbai.
Old 7th April 2008, 11:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

A good move I say!

Hope they get something like this here in Bangalore also! (Wishful thinking???)
Old 7th April 2008, 11:26   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ram : Predictably, the Unions are negotiating with the RTO.

Their grouse? An electronic meter costs Rs. 6,000. An electronic meter with printer costs Rs. 11,000 to 14,000.
Using this as an excuse to stall such a move. If not anything else, they will use this as a bargaining tool to increase fares as & when this move is implemented.
Old 7th April 2008, 11:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

most of the padminis are still from the 80s on the mumbai roads but you never know with them as most of them have parts from all 80s and 90s generations, thanks to CST road Kurla.

woud love to see the indigo or logan or maybe a simple indica doing black and yellow taxi duty here in the city.

Meru cabs has esteems in Mumbai but they have opted for Logans in Hyderabad.
Old 7th April 2008, 11:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Using this as an excuse to stall such a move. If not anything else, they will use this as a bargaining tool to increase fares as & when this move is implemented.
Not that Im siding with the cabbies or anything but a 15k investment is quite a bit for a taxi driver who's taxi probably isn't worth more than 40-50k. Having said that getting a receipt would really be great.
Old 7th April 2008, 11:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Not that Im siding with the cabbies or anything but a 15k investment is quite a bit for a taxi driver who's taxi probably isn't worth more than 40-50k. Having said that getting a receipt would really be great.
Totally agree with you here.

Further more, the cabbies in Mumbai are generally not as dishonest as their counterparts in several other cities, I for one have never been overcharged or been told to pay anything other than the meter fare by the card in Mumbai

Why not concentrate on upgrading the fleet instead of placing such a heavy financial burden on taxi drivers. This move won't benifit them at all so to recover costs they would probably end up asking for an increas in fares.
Old 7th April 2008, 12:26   #7
BHPian

Hi all ,

I have been using the " Meru " cab service for past couple of months now to go and come from airport and within city for my family if im not there in town .. Must say pretty impressive and very reliable service to start with . The vehicles are new and service very prompt and is not so expenmsive Eg .. airport to my house a normal cab used to take me Rs . 325 - 360 , Meru charges me Rs 410 which is good with comfort of A/.c , good car , faster move ..

In terms of printer to be installed and so on , i think we need to move out these padmini's rather than induce these steps as it is in a bad state and it is so sluggish in todays world . Imagine being behind a padmini cab while climbing a flyover , you will figure where i coming from .

No offece meant to Padmini lovers but the state of most cars apart from few is realy sad .

Regards.. kat
Old 7th April 2008, 12:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kARTIK IYER View Post
i think we need to move out these padmini's rather than induce these steps as it is in a bad state and it is so sluggish in todays world . Imagine being behind a padmini cab while climbing a flyover , you will figure where i coming from .
Yea, Although Ill really be sad to see the Fiats go which have become such a huge part of Mumbai, I think we need to continue phasing these cars out and replacing them with newer, more efficient cabs like the ones from Meru.
Old 7th April 2008, 15:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
. I guess you will get many Padminis in that condition for 50K.

For a change, let the rich govt sponsor for these equipments. Or let them charge a nominal price of probably Rs. 1k-2K.
Old 7th April 2008, 16:30   #10
BHPian

I'm sorry, but I still dont understand what benifit having these meters will provide. I dont think I would be exaggerating when I say almost ALL cabbies in Mumbai charge by the meter anyway.

The unscrupluous ones will ind a way around an electronic meter as well.

I think the only real benifit of making these meters compulsary will be the guys manufacturing/selling them. Wonder who that contract has gone to?
Old 7th April 2008, 17:25   #11
BHPian

My family & relatives almost exclusively use Meru cabs for the last 6months for taxi needs. Worth the money for the comfortable, courteous & timely service.

Had horrible experiences of getting overcharged and fleeced by regular cab wallahs with regular & electronic meters.

Printing of fare may help but many may not opt back to regular taxis after experiencing private cab service like Meru.
Old 7th April 2008, 19:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
For a change, let the rich govt sponsor for these equipments..
Why should the taxpayer pay for taxi meters? I think the best way around this is to ensure the proper regulations are in place when the newer cabs are introduced and to simply phase these older cabs out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
I'm sorry, but I still dont understand what benifit having these meters will provide.
I would imagine that it would be a lot harder to mess with an electronic meter than a regular mechanical one.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th April 2008 at 01:45. Reason: merged
Old 7th April 2008, 20:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

There was a thread about an auto with tempered electronic meter (in BLR I guess). Any such system is "breakable" given enough incentive.
Old 7th April 2008, 20:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Yes. it seems there was a button near the horn, which when pressed made the meter jump ahead faster than usual. So its not above tampering.
Old 3rd December 2015, 21:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Taxis to have electronic printing meters

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Yes. it seems there was a button near the horn, which when pressed made the meter jump ahead faster than usual. So its not above tampering.
Now there is another idea these Dadar Stn cab drivers have generated to flleece,loot,rob the tired passengers who get down at Dadar stn ,more likely before sunrise,ie.trains reaching at 4 AM till sunrise,and there is darkness all over.
These cab drivers are found inside the railway stations (thanks to railway police) are are looking out to tired single passenger as target.They will accost him or her and asking their destination,and same time carrying their luggage,towards their parked cab.
Then the game starts ,they have blue neon light inside the cab,immediately they will ask the passenger if he or she has change of 1000/-,the passenger agrees to give 2 nos 500/- notes,,then there is swift finger actions and 500/- note will change to 100/-,and he will say "aap ney ek 100/- ka note diya hai"500 ka de do. he will raise his voice ,you end up giving another 500/- note,he will return you 100/- note.
These turbaned drivers are fleecing and our good for nothing traffic police is MORE interested in generating money for their towing contractors by towing away cars bikes at 4 AM.from station areas,shows they are hand in glove with them.
If ever you go to them they will either not listen to you or pretend they are very busy..
I have come to know that these youngsters are from koliwada areas,Once a person from Italy was robbed by one of these ,he made a big noise and our police to save their face acted ,as that man said he will contact his Embassy for this matter,the police arrested the driver took him to police station where the family members,children came to beg with the man from Italy to forgive their man as they are not aware what their man was up to early in the morning...Now how the family membrs came to know about their arrest.
So after this incident all was OK for some time but they are back to the business.
Please request to all please be aware of these touts ,as you will NOT get any help from POLICE.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks