Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2008, 06:09   #1
BHPian

Would you buy a Tata Nano IF it looked like this?

These are from TATA's official NANO website. If you're like me, then you're WOW'd at the prospect of owning this car for around ~2 lacs, as a 2nd car or something along those lines.

Here's the PROBLEM: Tata may not build this version of the car. This was a "Geneva prototype" for European customers only. The only chance this version has of making production is if you go to the official website and post in the Nano forums asking for this version as I have.

For those of us lucky enough to not care about cost as much, a true Nano that oozes better looks + more quality (like above) is a great choice because:

-Its cute
-Environmentally sensible
-Small dimensions
-Unbeatable operating costs

Post your thoughts here and at the Nano Forum please.
Attached Thumbnails
Would you buy a Tata Nano IF it looked like this?-w6.jpg  

Would you buy a Tata Nano IF it looked like this?-w4.jpg  

Would you buy a Tata Nano IF it looked like this?-w1.jpg  

Old 8th April 2008, 10:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

It looks neat in the pics !! But im somehow against the instrument console placed right in the centre .Will take sometime to get used to it .
Old 8th April 2008, 10:43   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The potential of a 2 lakh Nano is definitely larger than Tata (or most people) would think. What the Nano has in its favour is the *wow* factor, people from all walks of life have been in awe of the car. The looks have won people over....yes, but also because of the values that it stands for. It is a testament to the Nano that guys who own Accords and BMWs have not rubbished this car, as they otherwise would do an 800.

As a second or third car in the family, the Nano makes immense sense as a local runabout. Small size + easy to drive + unbeatable running costs. To appeal to this segment, the higher-spec'ed Nano must offer a wider range of standard equipment such as power windows, alloys, better interiors and a couple of other enhancements, just like in the pictures above. Throw in a slightly more powerful engine and you have a recipe for success!

The good part is this : the base Nano is so cheap that these "luxurious" enhancements will still not push the Nanos price too high.
Old 8th April 2008, 10:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

This luxury version looks awesome. More like a poor man's Smart ForFour
Old 8th April 2008, 11:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Throw in a slightly more powerful engine and you have a recipe for success!
To me , that would be the key. Current nano can not be taken to highways and more of city car due to the engine capacity. Once they plonk slightly more powerful engine, It becomes more complete car and it would beat M800 handsdown in that dept too. In such case I would be curtains down to M800.
Old 8th April 2008, 11:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

It looks good,but when will we get to see one on the road.It should be too late for the actual production version to be out.This would give every other manufacturers enough time to set up a new threat or devise new strategy.
ram
Old 8th April 2008, 11:19   #7
BHPian

GTO, you make perfect sense. In designing the world's most affordable car, Tata stuck a perfect balance of looks, economy, price and POTENTIAL. I'm convinced that a few voices can move them towards launching this "Luxury" edition.

After all, its a different dye for the Dash, Chrome lining, seat covers and better materials both inside and out. That doesn't take remanufacturing or redesigning. It can still happen. PLS post at the Nano forums so Tata sees interest!!

As far as the engine goes, I believe Tata should stick to the 2 Cyl engine. Perhaps a small Turbo charger OR a start/stop mild hybrid system with boost would give it a performance edge without completely redesigning the powertain.
Old 8th April 2008, 11:25   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The good part is this : the base Nano is so cheap that these "luxurious" enhancements will still not push the Nanos price too high.
Another important consideration is that this "luxurious" Nano will be a lot more profitable for them, car per car, than the base models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
After all, its a different dye for the Dash, Chrome lining, seat covers and better materials both inside and out.
Dash looks awesome in black and chrome, eh?

Quote:
As far as the engine goes, I believe Tata should stick to the 2 Cyl engine. Perhaps a small Turbo charger OR a start/stop mild hybrid system with boost would give it a performance edge without completely redesigning the powertain.
Or even the same engine in a higher state of tune? The common-rail diesel will pose an equally attractive proposition too.
Old 8th April 2008, 11:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Damn! Bring it on Tata.

this would really be India's answer to the Smart.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 8th April 2008 at 11:32. Reason: formatting
Old 8th April 2008, 11:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

I feel this would be hugely popular. Especially over here on Team-BHP.

As GTO pointed out more features means higher price resulting into higher profits which could offset(partially if not completely) the less margins that they would be earning from the base variants of the Nanos.
Old 8th April 2008, 11:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well this looks pretty zippy. Waiting to see them on the road
Old 8th April 2008, 12:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think the key to Nano's success will be the diesel version which is said to equipped with an all-new, all-aluminium 800 CC twin cyl. DICOR, not the Ace-derived 700 CC twin that was planned earlier. It'll have substantially more power and torque than the petrol version, besides FE in the region of 30 KMPL!

Merc offers Smart with a somewhat similar 800 CC CRDI diesel although with three cylinders instead of two:

Smart ForTwo | First Drives | Car Reviews | Auto Express
Old 8th April 2008, 12:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Maybe i belong to old school of design,but i would never buy a nano over an 800.Never ever.My view is not biased because i own an 800.
The new 800 has the proper car looks where as nano looks more like an electric car.
Interiors agreed are better but exterior shape wise i would rate the 800 much much ahead of the nano.
And most of all the nano i would not buy simply because of its non highway usablity.Make a cheap car but atleast make a car which we dont have to think twice before taking on the highway.
Old 8th April 2008, 12:50   #14
BHPian

This version definitely looks good.

If they can deliver all this (hopefully they will) at the promised price & follow it up with good A-S-S, nano high end model will be preferred by our aam janatha.

cheers:
Old 8th April 2008, 13:00   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
I think the key to Nano's success will be the diesel version which is said to equipped with an all-new, all-aluminium 800 CC twin cyl. DICOR, not the Ace-derived 700 CC twin that was planned earlier. It'll have substantially more power and torque than the petrol version, besides FE in the region of 30 KMPL!
Can you imagine the stupendously low running costs of that diesel! That said, this is one Tata product where I think the petrol will be popular too. Why?

1. Cost differential in terms of % will be higher than for other segments.

2. I dont expect the Nano to have high levels of insulation, or even overall refinement. Remember, sound / vibration insulating products cost $$$. Plus, as you said, the engine is going to be only a 2 / 3 cylinder.

3. The petrol is expected to be sufficiently competent, atleast in the area of fuel efficiency.

Most Viewed