Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2008, 19:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

This interior was showcased at one of the international motor shows. It has SRS airbags too
Old 8th April 2008, 19:32   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Maybe i belong to old school of design,but i would never buy a nano over an 800.Never ever.My view is not biased because i own an 800.
The new 800 has the proper car looks where as nano looks more like an electric car.
Interiors agreed are better but exterior shape wise i would rate the 800 much much ahead of the nano.
And most of all the nano i would not buy simply because of its non highway usablity.Make a cheap car but atleast make a car which we dont have to think twice before taking on the highway.
Not sure what rationale mechanism makes a 20 year outdated car with a 7 horsepower/ 1 cylinder advantage highway capable vs. the Nano, made by a company notorious for making solid cars (Indica, Safari etc.).There is no sense in your standpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I am just thinking of another possibility. Tata came up with a complete lifecycle plan for this car when they conceived it. That even included a business plan around it. They wanted the car to be made in kit form and then transported to the local enterpreneurs who could then assemble the car and sell it. Much like bicycles. In fact Mr. Tata reiterated this plan as late as in March during an interview in Geneva.

Now if they try to make an uber-cool car like this... with HVAC, PS, PW, Airbags, Audio setup etc (its the euro spec and it is all included) then my only worry is what happens to the vaunted satellite assembly business plan? Will the local enterpreneur in the villages be able to successfully integrate such a complex piece of machinery? Also, the service dream of a scooter riding service man who will visit the owner and service the car at his doorstep (again Mr Tata's dream) will go for a toss since something with this level of complexity will need a regular service station and not a bicycle or scooter riding service man.
Good point. Sell the el cheapo version in villages. Reserve the "Luxury special edition" for the dealerships only. Problem solved.
Old 8th April 2008, 19:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Dash looks awesome in black and chrome, eh?
Dash looks better than any other car in the current Tata lineup.

Wild idea: offer a luxury Nano bundled FREE with the top-end Jag and LR models
Old 8th April 2008, 23:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Not sure what rationale mechanism makes a 20 year outdated car with a 7 horsepower/ 1 cylinder advantage highway capable vs. the Nano, made by a company notorious for making solid cars (Indica, Safari etc.).There is no sense in your standpoint.
Dont argue for the heck of it.Facts speak for themselves.
TATA NANO(top speed) - 105 kmph.
0-70 km/h in 14 seconds.
A car with a top speed of 105 kmph will be crying its heart out cruisin at 80 to 90 kmph and hence is highway uncapable.
Maruti 800(top speed) 131 kmph
0 to 60 in 8.9 seconds.
0 to 100 in 18 seconds.
An 800 with an 26 kmph top speed advantage barely makes it highway usable.Just about barely.
An 800 crusing at 100 kmph is not all that smooth and silent either but just about doable and this is from years of driving it.
Dude i dont know the nanos quality but indica is definately not an epitome of quality.
Anyway i out of this topic.Happy nannoing
Old 8th April 2008, 23:46   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dude i dont know the nanos quality but indica is definately not an epitome of quality.
Uhaaan... Now that you have dragged another vehicle into it to fight your case I am sure lot of members would also like to know the so called epitomes of quality that you are aware of and are trying to link in here?
Old 9th April 2008, 00:03   #36
BHPian

And here is the ultimatum...

The Nano is alleged to have severely affected the used car market in India, as many Indians opt to wait for the Nano's release rather than buying used cars, such as the Maruti 800 (a rebadged Suzuki Alto), which is considered as the Nano's nearest competitor. Sales of new Maruti 800s have dropped by 20%, and used ones by 30% following the unveiling of the Nano.
People are asking themselves, why should we pay, say, Rs. 2,50,000 for a used Maruti Alto, when we can wait and get a brand new Nano for less in a few months time, a car that is actually bigger, isn't that cool....
Old 9th April 2008, 00:26   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The mention of indica was reply to his solid car statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Uhaaan... Now that you have dragged another vehicle into it to fight your case I am sure lot of members would also like to know the so called epitomes of quality that you are aware of and are trying to link in here?
I am not fighting any case,just putting the facts forward and for your epitome of build quality question fiat palio is one of them.

Last edited by humyum : 9th April 2008 at 00:28.
Old 9th April 2008, 01:38   #38
BHPian

No merit

Quote:
The mention of indica was reply to his solid car statement

I am not fighting any case,just putting the facts forward and for your epitome of build quality question fiat palio is one of them.

Your arguement is completely devoid of merit. I never claimed that Tata has build quality. I stated their cars are solid (read: safe). The Nano conforms/ exceeds all current safety norms and was designed with those norms as the target.

The 800 was designed 20 years ago. It's major updates were last made nearly 10 years ago. To call the 800 more advanced in ANY way is an act of foolish stubborness and nothing else.

Bottom line: Sure, the 800 has a higher top speed. It's got a bigger engine with an extra cylinder. But it's an 800, a car notorious for hundreds, if not thousands of fatalities. Would you really want to go more than 80 km/h in one? I wouldn't.

And for me, the Nano can do 80km/h just fine. All while saving me $.
Old 9th April 2008, 09:32   #39

StraightFrmTheHeart

there is a test drive report about nano here
Old 9th April 2008, 09:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your arguement is completely devoid of merit. I never claimed that Tata has build quality. I stated their cars are solid (read: safe). The Nano conforms/ exceeds all current safety norms and was designed with those norms as the target.

The 800 was designed 20 years ago. It's major updates were last made nearly 10 years ago. To call the 800 more advanced in ANY way is an act of foolish stubborness and nothing else.

Bottom line: Sure, the 800 has a higher top speed. It's got a bigger engine with an extra cylinder. But it's an 800, a car notorious for hundreds, if not thousands of fatalities. Would you really want to go more than 80 km/h in one? I wouldn't.

And for me, the Nano can do 80km/h just fine. All while saving me $.
Thousands of fatalities because it has been here for 20 years and the nano has not even come out on the egg(read: on the road).So dont assume i ll be oh so safe even before the first one crashes.Anyone can come up with anything about safetly to sell their products,it when it actually happens is the litmus test passed.
And yeah that definately does not mean 800 is safe either.At 2 lakhs and chillar u really cant expect everythin of all the worlds.
And i definately definately did not call it advanced,more powerful,faster car yes but not advanced.
And dude is an 80 kmph car highway capable?
Yes i would go more than 80 kmph on a good stretch in my 800.Anytime anyday.

Last edited by humyum : 9th April 2008 at 10:00.
Old 9th April 2008, 10:25   #41
Senior - BHPian

Nano

The bulk of the sales of Nano will not come from the second or third car buyers but from the ones who would like to graduate from a two wheeler.

It would be even good to see the Nano with a CRDI.
Old 9th April 2008, 10:27   #42
BANNED

There maybe some truth in what @humyum is saying. The Nano looks cool and slick but for the price they announced I don't think they can make a good, safe and normally usable car. Either it's price will go up significantly or the build quality will suffer making it suitable for cosmetic use.
It would have been excellent if they could convert it into an efficient electric vehicle.
Old 9th April 2008, 10:35   #43
BHPian

Quote:
....So dont assume i ll be oh so safe even before the first one crashes.Anyone can come up with anything about safetly to sell their products,it when it actually happens is the litmus test passed. And yeah that definately does not mean 800 is safe either.At 2 lakhs and chillar u really cant expect everythin of all the worlds.
Well I agree with you that Maruti has served well for over 20 years and still is a very good buy for its price. But I don't agree with your statement "Anybody can come up...." the reason being, we know that TATAs are serious about safety . Their cars are one of the safest. They setup the in house state of the art CRASH TEST facility over a decade ago when there was no govt regulation and most of the buyers didnt even know about the concept of safety.

I am sure if Mr. Ratan Tata says, it meets crash test requirments, IT DOES.
Old 9th April 2008, 10:36   #44
Senior - BHPian

The 800 has done its duty, and it is now Nano's turn. Safety-wise, all the paraphernalia wouldnt save many because almost all the cars are too low and the heavy vehicles in most of the instances I have seen just gobbled them...the front tyres of a bus/lorry are usually somewhere between B and C pillars.

One fact is, I usually feel jittery when I drive an 800, the brakes are too weak and the car skids under sudden and harsh braking.
Old 9th April 2008, 10:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

Let it come on road,let some of it crash and then we ll talk about it.
Jagdish kattar had come up with 800 being as safe as a merc.But thats not a fact.Everyone is a business man first.
Maruti has sx4 and swift as safe vehicles in their line up too but that does not make an 800 safe.
Tata having all the test facilites does not prove anything.So lets wait for it to come out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks