Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2005, 08:41   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveek
Basically, Iceman hit the nail on the head.. we need an Evo.. that is the only thing that'll salvage anything Mitsubishi... The current Lancer look even crappier than before... that grille makes it look so bland, so charecter-less... and the headlamps make it look blank and lokst... the SFXi was the best looking Lancer to hit India... HM should get the Evo IV... I'd say its out-daed enough, with the Evo IX coming... hehe... and it needs a 120+ BHP angine to give it any thing close to resembling performance...
Fully agree, we need the Evo, but I don't think it's going to happen in India anytime soon. But if HM brings in the Evo, let's hope GM can bring in the Impreza (maybe badged as a Chevy ) as competition.

Quote:
Honda rules. Always will. No Lancer will beat it (this comment is India specific...)... and the RS will be DESTROYED by the Civic... wait till august... the Charisma, the Renault Logos (another crappy looking car, with a total lack of performance as well...), the Civic (FINALLY!!!!), and already the Manual Accord V6...
Hey from what I've heard the Civic will be a Corolla competitor with a 130-140 bhp engine. So no, I don't think the RS will be "destroyed" by the Civic. If you are talking about the Civic Type R - well, it's not coming to India, and in that case you must remember that even the RS has been detuned for India to cope with our fuel.

Also, are you talking about the Renault Logan (I dunno about the Logos)? If so, it's totally unfair to compare a three lakh car with the Civic which is two to three times the price.

Quote:
One last question though... what is quicker: Accord V6 (Manual) or Skoda Octavia RS???

(Please say Accord... )
Certainly the Accord - you are comparing 221bhp with 150 bhp. But what does the Accord cost, and what does the RS cost?

(As you can see, I'm a fan of Euro cars and I'll make no apologies for it).
Old 6th April 2005, 10:07   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Certainly the Accord - you are comparing 221bhp with 150 bhp. But what does the Accord cost, and what does the RS cost?
Actually - NOPE. In some tests, even the Accord 4 cylinder has been quicker to a 100 than the V6. But the Octavia is quicker than either variant of the Accord.

GTO
Old 6th April 2005, 11:37   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

But GTO, the acord V6 sold here is automatic.
The manual V6 if launched will be faster then any RS sold in india.
Oh and since the new look lancer and the better engines are coming out for a more expensive price (9.5 L),
I am getting a red colour lancer 1.5 with some mods.
Old 13th April 2005, 01:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Just came up with this article, dont know if it has already been brought up or not ..

HM drops Pajero, launches Carisma Excerpts - TIMES NEWS NETWORK
JAN 18, 2005

In A bid to generate more revenues, Hindustan Motors , owned by the CK Birla group, is trying its best to make efficient use of its existing facilities either by unlocking value or by launching new model of cars this year.

It is learnt that the company is launching a new D segment car Mitsubishi Carisma in the Rs 10-12 lakh price range. It plans to stop selling the 2.8-litre Pajero and instead plans to launch a premium and a regular SUV.

The premium SUV Montero, to be imported as a CBU, with a 3.2-litre engine is estimated to be priced around Rs 35 lakh, while the regular SUV, Pajero Sport is expected to be to be priced around Rs 18 lakh.

The restructuring of its product portfolio also includes the launch of the Lancer 1.6-litre. “With the launch of the Lancer 1.6-litre, we will have to reposition the existing Lancer range,” says SC Gupta heading the Lancer and the Pajero project.

Sources in the company said that stagnation in sales of Lancer manufactured under a technical license from Mitsubishi was threatening the viability of the Chennai plant, which HM set up for Rs 250 crore.

Lancer sales are now hovering at 250 cars per month, forcing the company to have discussions with Mitsubishi for introducing newer models.

Sources said it was not possible for HM to enter the small car segment as that would require huge investments.

(http://www.hindmotor.com/carisma.asp)
cheers
Old 13th April 2005, 10:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
But GTO, the acord V6 sold here is automatic.
The manual V6 if launched will be faster then any RS sold in india.
Oh and since the new look lancer and the better engines are coming out for a more expensive price (9.5 L),
I am getting a red colour lancer 1.5 with some mods.
Isn't the V6 Accord manual launcher already... I heard that one had already been booked and was coming here... B'Lore I mean...
Skoda slaying time...!!!!
Old 13th April 2005, 10:27   #21
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91
definitely its time the evo took its place on our indian roads

high time mitsuibishi thinks of bringing down the EVO hwere

my brother in law owned a lancer showroom at one point oif time
there were some stupid rules of Mitsuibishi with regard to car sales
and he shut it down

they still own lots of kinetic showrooms in bangalore

LANCER was good in the good old days
these days lots and lots of good fast cars available
Old 13th April 2005, 10:39   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

So i am sticking with the lancer 1.5.
Will go bargain some more with that guy.
Only thing that worries me is the resale a couple of years down the line.
The Accord V6 sold here is an Auto. Maybe the manual has been imported.
Old 13th April 2005, 11:20   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
while the regular SUV, Pajero Sport is expected to be to be priced around Rs 18 lakh.

cheers
Going slightly off-topic here.. Mods, pl excuse.. Hyundai Tucson at 14+ lakhs vs Pajero at 18 lakhs with the Honda CRV in between.. which do you think will sell?
Old 13th April 2005, 12:02   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

My bet is on the CR-V.
Unless Mitsubishi does some thinking and spends some money on ads and all.
Lets see once the car is out.
Old 13th April 2005, 12:14   #25
BANNED

im so bored with mitsubishi doing anything in india. when will the day come when we can go to a freaking dealer and actually book an EVO. and the bhp is close to 400 BHP. no place to run that kinda power i agree but no harms in keeping it as a backup for EMERGENCY use hehe. ok ok im dreaming, still boring none the less i love the shape though
Old 13th April 2005, 12:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal
im so bored with mitsubishi doing anything in india. when will the day come when we can go to a freaking dealer and actually book an EVO. and the bhp is close to 400 BHP. no place to run that kinda power i agree but no harms in keeping it as a backup for EMERGENCY use hehe. ok ok im dreaming, still boring none the less i love the shape though

EVO has 276 bhp r to be exact ...
lol ..even then how do we unleash the horses here ?

but practically speaking we atleast deserve the 1.8L manual invecs ...\

Most Viewed