Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2008, 20:24   #31
BHPian

India does not drive in reverse gears but the politicians sure have stones in their head.
Old 9th April 2008, 20:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
India does not drive in reverse gears but the politicians sure have stones in their head.
Correction my friend. They have crap in their heads.
Old 9th April 2008, 20:34   #33
BHPian

Why only politicians? Even the people (they call 'aam jantha')! They like these kind of moves. They welcome it happily.
Old 9th April 2008, 21:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRider View Post
Why only politicians? Even the people (they call 'aam jantha')! They like these kind of moves. They welcome it happily.
Thats what they are doing, enticing and creating a future vote bank.
A new modern style of divide & rule.

Last edited by gendarmee : 9th April 2008 at 21:11.
Old 9th April 2008, 21:19   #35
BANNED

Us poor mallus... we don't even have a numeric script of our own. What will we do? :(

How about number plates in Sanskrit
Old 9th April 2008, 21:29   #36
BHPian

It is my general observation. PLease correct me if I am wrong. People usually use regional number plates, not because they believe in it, or support it. They do it because they have lack of confidence in their driving skills, and want to escape unnoticed in case of accidents.

Also, the pandus usually dont bother people with Marathi number plates.

It is not just the local populace, I have seen a Punjabi have plates in Marathi. I bet he could not read his own numbers. Needless to mention, he had a poor driving record, based on the condition of his car which was battered on all sides.
Old 9th April 2008, 21:42   #37
BANNED

Yeah and in Bangalore it's not uncommon to find KL cars and bikes sporting number plates in Kannada.

IMO rules should be passed to fine any vehicle not sporting numbers in English and modern numerals whether a vehicle sports a regional number plate or not.
Old 9th April 2008, 21:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Correction my friend. They have crap in their heads.
Agree with you; sure they have all the nonsense one can imagine cheers:
Old 9th April 2008, 21:49   #39
Senior - BHPian

Earlier Raj Thackrey was accused of splitting the country on casteist/language/domicile lines. Now a responsible person of the Government is planning to do the same, garbing it under legality.

What if other states resort to such gimmick? You commit a crime in one state and go to another and the cops there would need a translator to decipher the strange character on the number plates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Seems Dy. CM of Maharashtra has come out with a new brainwave after shooing out the bar girls some time back !! He has proclaimed that he will convince the Union Govt to allow Maharashtra to have Marathi Number plates. It is not clear if he meant only marathi or dual language.
Now I know why I find most number plates using Marathi / Devnagari numerals also have a timepiece printed on its side... the symbol of NCP !!

Has the Dy C.M considered the point that when Maharashtra vehicles travel inter-state they would be sitting ducks for the Traffic police of the other states !!
Old 9th April 2008, 21:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

If this comes into vogue, then I see a major spurt in sale of digital cameras/camera enabled mobiles..

The only way you can note down the number is to click a pic of the offending vehicle and then ask the cop to register a case by reading the number from the image....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Wow. What an idea?
Sometimes i really wonder at which end these politicians have their brains!

Imagine this. There is a hit and run involving a white maruti 800. I'm the ONLY witness. I see the car get away. I'm a mallu. I try to read the number plate.
HOW???? Go take a crash course in Marathi?
What do i tell the cops? A white maruti? Ha Ha.

I see such stupid things here in Bangalore too. But then, it becomes a sensitive language issue. One should know where to show their love for language / state / nation etc. Beyond a certain point, it becomes a joke.

In Kerala i haven't seen mallu number plates (yet), but i still don't like the idea of having bus boards in Malayalam only......in spite of having so many tourists.
Just my opinion.

-- Torqy
Old 9th April 2008, 21:59   #41
BHPian

Very digressive, in other parts of the world the unions are trying to remove borders & unite, if not in a short term then in the long term plans...EU for example, Euro..ect
This kinda stuff can happen only in india.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Change to that or just keep it the way it is, in english!
Old 9th April 2008, 22:15   #42
BANNED

Don't take this news so seriously, he just made a point like this because this bum had nothing else to say. It won't stand if challenged in the courts.
Old 9th April 2008, 22:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Actually, you can use the one alphabet & one numerical from all the languages in India. It will be good atleast where ever the vehicle travels, at least the cops can read a letter on te number plate. What say?
Old 9th April 2008, 22:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have found a fundoo solution to this issue.

1)Let all number plates be replaced by similar sized LCD screens.
2)Using GPS, let us track which state the vehicle is in.
3)Now, let the GPS device have additional responsibility of communicating with the LCD numberplates and display the number in the respective regional language!

Old 9th April 2008, 22:46   #45
Senior - BHPian

In Bangalore I have noticed couple of other state vehicles having the number plate in Kannada - not because of their love for the state they work in, but because they know that the chances of getting caught because of a out of state vehicle is very minimal due the this Kannada number.

The fact is that most of the PC's are not capable of reading in Kannada - a statement that they cannot openly make. So the assumption is, unless proved otherwise, Kannada number plates are of Karnataka vehicles.

Very sorry state of affair this is!

As said by Gerdarmee, when the rest of the world is trying to unite, over here we have people trying to come up with more reasons for breaking up!

Most Viewed