Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2008, 13:22   #61
LLL
BHPian

A quick question -

Since we all want to make Mumbai another Shanghai...which language do they use in shanghai for number plates? If they are in chinese, then we should go with marathi.

First step towards making mumbai another shanghai..
Old 10th April 2008, 14:04   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Wont we all make good politicians?!
LCDs replacing number plates, various scripts for the numbers.. we really are well-blessed with ideas worthy of a politician.
Just goes to show, Talking a great deal about nothing; picking up stupid things to make an issue,whilst ignoring the obvious; getting all priorities wrong....in short thinking,"out of ur head" (NOT out of box), those just the qualities needed to make an Indian politician!
(Well, there are straight forward ones too, but as a whole country, just a few of these kind slow it down a great deal )
Old 12th April 2008, 08:30   #63
BHPian

then we ll have to learn marathi...coz there are many people who don't know how to read in hindi or marathi.....
P.S. I am talking about those "Raamooo" type of people.....hehehe
Old 12th April 2008, 10:58   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
I filed the post based on two Hindi News Channels flashing the news in the evening of Tuesday. DCM was quoted as having remarked in the Assembly. So no idea why English media did not report it. If any readers of Marathi newspapers here, they may inform whether it got reported in the papers !!.
Ah, that explains it. We should take these Hindi news channels as seriously as we take our politicians.

Since no newspaper, regional or national, has reported it so far, I am sure the original news must have been quoted wide out of context.

Having said that, I hope Dy CM is not serious on having the number plates in Marathi. Let it be optional. Making it mandatory amounts to stretching things too far.
Old 12th April 2008, 12:04   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
This country is getting better by the day. Karnataka wants Kannada plates, TN wants Tamil plates & now Maharashtra wants Marathi plate,

Why cant we just have english number plates and finish off this story. All these politicians are just doing this for votes.
cuz be indian and write indian only, oh but then its ok if the car is made in japan or germany. bunch of idiots. ill only change to arabic since it facintes me lot lol
Old 12th April 2008, 13:41   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
cuz be indian and write indian only, oh but then its ok if the car is made in japan or germany. bunch of idiots. ill only change to arabic since it facintes me lot lol

Yeah, also when Nissan gets the speedometer console to the center of the dash, A merc gives a single wiper on the front wind shield of it sports car, its praised as innovation.......But when TATA does that on the nano it referred too as cheap, silly methods of saving production cost!

Typical of us inidans, Any firang stuff is wow, while indian is not good....compare it with a decades of R&D of firang companies and 2 decades of R&D of indian companies.......
Old 12th April 2008, 15:20   #67
Senior - BHPian

A bit OT:

What or who are "Raamooo" type of people? I had heard of 'mamoo' & 'pandoo' types. Is this something new that has popped up in Mumbai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonecase_01 View Post
then we ll have to learn marathi...coz there are many people who don't know how to read in hindi or marathi.....
P.S. I am talking about those "Raamooo" type of people.....hehehe
Old 12th April 2008, 15:26   #68
Senior - BHPian

After decades of R&D, firang company like Merc came out with a single wiper system. And you say in 2 decades of R&D, TATA came out with the same for Nano. Actually TATA shouldn't have drowned that money in R&D; they could have simply copied it from the Merc and that is what they did.

Not running down our own Indian company. I use one of the TATA products and am immensely satisfied with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post

Yeah, also when Nissan gets the speedometer console to the center of the dash, A merc gives a single wiper on the front wind shield of it sports car, its praised as innovation.......But when TATA does that on the nano it referred too as cheap, silly methods of saving production cost!

Typical of us inidans, Any firang stuff is wow, while indian is not good....compare it with a decades of R&D of firang companies and 2 decades of R&D of indian companies.......
Old 12th April 2008, 22:46   #69

I think it should be left to the owner, if someone wants marathi then why not
Old 12th April 2008, 23:04   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
After decades of R&D, firang company like Merc came out with a single wiper system. And you say in 2 decades of R&D, TATA came out with the same for Nano. Actually TATA shouldn't have drowned that money in R&D; they could have simply copied it from the Merc and that is what they did.

Not running down our own Indian company. I use one of the TATA products and am immensely satisfied with it.
I made it clear there, by separating the 2 paragraphs, that they weren't related. Each para for itself.

But then again, there is no relation with the single wiper system and R&D & copying, not just the merc but a few cars have a single wiper, also a double wiper needs more designing. One wiper system could just be powered by the battery and another by vacuum from the carb(yeah, new cars dont but some old car's wipers work on that), point being, be it a wiper or an engine under the hood, the technology can be very different. And, that is the point i tried to highlight in the 2nd para that when some Indian company does something new or anything different or some thing better , few of us want to acknowledge that or take pride in it, look at it and say,"Big deal, aamreica mein to aisa hota hain"- kind attitude.

Last edited by gendarmee : 12th April 2008 at 23:05. Reason: typo
Old 12th April 2008, 23:30   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer View Post
I think this idea is superfine,imagine Mumbai having all number plates in all different languages
Old 16th April 2008, 13:03   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer View Post
The number plate is not for your cosmetic pleasure, but for the viewing of law enforcement agencies !!
Old 16th April 2008, 17:20   #73

The requirement of letters of registration mark to be in English and figures in Arabic numerals have been laid down in Clause (d) of Proviso of Sub Rule 2 of Rule 50 of The Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989. And this Rule can be amended only through an act of Parliament (or ordinance). You guys will agree that this is nearly impossible for Parliament to agree on amending this Rule, so Chill madi… Let him demand whatever he demands, after all we are a free country and everybody has a right to speech and expression.

Note From Support Staff: Please remove size\font\color tags before posting
Old 16th April 2008, 20:41   #74
BANNED

So, what happens if those pesky non-mumbaikars decided to move all the big finance houses and offices which have no mumbai specific business to some place like XYZhalli or ABCpuram or BCDooru?

:ot:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shebin View Post
But we cannot do it in kerala. In malayalam you cant write numbers
Have a look at this chart.

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0D00.pdf

The only difference is that chavunists will be singled out and excluded in the Kerala society.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 16th April 2008 at 20:52.
Old 17th April 2008, 02:50   #75

malayalam numeric script

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Us poor mallus... we don't even have a numeric script of our own. What will we do? :(

How about number plates in Sanskrit

Sankar

you are wrong here. Malayalam does have its own numeric script. Check some of the really old books in malayalam, which has its page numbered in malayalam numeric script.

I have seen some christian prayer books with this script.

-Seby

Most Viewed