Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2008, 09:02   #76
BANNED

Here in Bangalore also I have seen several times few vehicles with number plates written in local language.But I feel English is better in case of hit and run case and accident situations.Its difficult to ready and note such number plates.
Old 17th April 2008, 21:03   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
The number plate is not for your cosmetic pleasure, but for the viewing of law enforcement agencies !!
Most of the letters written in Marathi are similar to Hindi and if someone can read english then as a citizen of India he must be able to read Hindi, being a citizen of India if he cannot read Hindi than he is to blame for

Go in Japan, China they follow their national language, then why cant we
Common guys give some respect to our national language
Old 17th April 2008, 23:57   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Us poor mallus... we don't even have a numeric script of our own. What will we do?
As somebody pointed out, Malayalam has a splendid set of indigenous numerals that's so archaic that fewer than one in 10,000 can read it. (In case of mallu policemen, make that one in 1,00,000.)

Take for example a number from the current Ernakulam RTO series: KL 07 BH 3619. If Malayalam chauvinists were to imitate their Marathi brethren, that registration plate would read like this: കെ എല് ൦൭ ബി എച് ൩൬൧൯

If you see only little squares, your browser settings aren't customised to display Indic Unicode characters. If you see assorted squiggles you're probably seeing the right thing.

Yes, I think I'll switch to mallu numerals on my licence plates in Bombay...
Old 18th April 2008, 08:17   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
Swear words not allowed in TBHP.

Old 18th April 2008, 22:59   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
As somebody pointed out, Malayalam has a splendid set of indigenous numerals that's so archaic that fewer than one in 10,000 can read it. (In case of mallu policemen, make that one in 1,00,000.)

sooooo true! That seems to the one that stopping people, Keralites, from asking for such a 'benefit'!

But hey, will anyone stop you if you do this in Kerala?
Old 18th April 2008, 23:41   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer View Post
Most of the letters written in Marathi are similar to Hindi and if someone can read english then as a citizen of India he must be able to read Hindi, being a citizen of India if he cannot read Hindi than he is to blame for

Go in Japan, China they follow their national language, then why cant we

I feel you should be posting here in Marathi so that most of us who know Hindi here in this forum would be able to understand it!

Look at your country bro and see how practical things can be worked out. India has its own limitations when it comes to language and culture.

I hope u understood a simple reason why the number plates are in English. It is just because of the mix of language and culture we have in India, inspite of Hindi being the official language English has been used based on practicality.

In every other state in India, the local government wants the state language to be used as the official language starting from the education for kids. Then every state will have the regn. numbers in their state language. Which sounds really absurd to me!
Old 19th April 2008, 09:13   #82
BHPian

Wont this result in more of the hit-and-run cases never getting traced? What if someone gets into an accident and you couldnt report the number of the vehicle properly (just because you couldn't read Devnagari)?
Old 19th April 2008, 12:22   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I feel you should be posting here in Marathi so that most of us who know Hindi here in this forum would be able to understand it!

Look at your country bro and see how practical things can be worked out. India has its own limitations when it comes to language and culture.

I hope u understood a simple reason why the number plates are in English. It is just because of the mix of language and culture we have in India, inspite of Hindi being the official language English has been used based on practicality.

In every other state in India, the local government wants the state language to be used as the official language starting from the education for kids. Then every state will have the regn. numbers in their state language. Which sounds really absurd to me!
Thanks for the apt reply, saved me the trouble of replying to his post.

With the same logic given by him, Indian Railways could have saved money on not painting the station boards in Marathi as Hindi would have been sufficient for the locals to understand the station name !!
Old 31st March 2009, 10:37   #84
Ram
Senior - BHPian

In contravention of the Central Govt. Motor Veh. Act

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
Wont this result in more of the hit-and-run cases never getting traced? What if someone gets into an accident and you couldnt report the number of the vehicle properly (just because you couldn't read Devnagari)?
Only Marathi Number plates in Maharashtra if Dy C.M. has his way-kolarrickshaw.jpg

This Autorickshaw registered at Kolar Gold Fields, Karnataka
bears license plate: KA-08 - 1172

If you didn’t know Kannada, could you have fathomed that?
How many Indians on the street can note down such a number in case of a traffic violation?

What about Malayalam?

Only Marathi Number plates in Maharashtra if Dy C.M. has his way-malayalamsumo.jpg

How about these?

And for the record, the Central Government Motor Vehicles Act 1988.
states as follows:

Only Marathi Number plates in Maharashtra if Dy C.M. has his way-centralmotorvehiclesact1988.jpg

Last edited by Ram : 31st March 2009 at 10:41. Reason: Added video
Old 31st March 2009, 10:41   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post

What about Malayalam?

That is a police vehicle! So we have a cop car with a Malayalam number plate!
Old 31st March 2009, 10:44   #86
Senior - BHPian

So even we have started calling them 'Arabic' numerals !
Old 31st March 2009, 10:51   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
So even we have started calling them 'Arabic' numerals !
The usual numerals we use (1 2 3) are called Arabic. And in case there was a pun intended there, it went over my head.

But otherwise, someone give some work to our dear 'public servants.' They have hardly anything to do and end up thinking of such 'pathbreaking' ideas. Change the name of a city, a street, language issue, change sign boards...and what not!
Old 31st March 2009, 10:55   #88
BHPian

The best are nos. written as DADA or NANA in marathi actually are 4141 or 7171. You can see quite a few in New Mumbai / Thane area.
Old 31st March 2009, 11:05   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer View Post
as a citizen of India he must be able to read Hindi, being a citizen of India if he cannot read Hindi than he is to blame for
I've been hearing this nonsense for decades now.
Old 31st March 2009, 11:20   #90
BANNED

I think Maharashtra has appealed to the High Court at least thrice and has been refused every time. So this may be just an election stunt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks