Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2008, 11:15   #16
BHPian

I saw the title and picture and put my post overlooked the ending paragraph of the article

However, it is news for me to know Daihatsu is Toyota's group company. I was always wondering on the quality of Daihatsu vehicles be its Sirion Hatchback or its small Terios model 4x4 SUV. I can relate the high quality of daihatsu now!
Old 16th April 2008, 15:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Kirloskar lost the plot long time ago in the Indian market. They have the same mindset as the Birlas(Hindustan Motors et al), which is sell outdated products at twice the asking price and loot the buying public. Sorry. Whatever they do will not gain them the leverage they had for a little bit and blew away. And, the mainstream Japanese companies aren't really keen on developing the Indian market. The Japs are wary and jealous of India. Toyota supports their Pak subsidiary far more than they do the TKM project. They sell cheap variants of the Corolla and sell more than 37000 cars in Pak market in a year.They also offer a cheaper variant of the Charade in the Pak market. Witness Nissan's approach to the Indian market also. Nissan has licensed the Sunny for assembly in Pak. What does the Indian marke tget?.Suzuki is big in India. But then, GM has a big stake in Suzuki. You catch my drift?....

Last edited by nickatnite : 16th April 2008 at 15:14.
Old 16th April 2008, 16:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Toyota Kirloskar lost the plot long time ago in the Indian market. ..........You catch my drift?....
Very nice & different opinion about Japnese car makers in India when compared to others. The truth is Maruti is #1 in India followed by Korean Hyundai and Indian TATA 3rd. (guess American ford/chevy is 4th), Probably Toyota and Honda looks like they have lost it because they are too late to take the NECESSARY risks to enter the small car market with a BANG. Skoda showed their guts! Chevy had to (after optra) because they saw the SubPrime crisis coming, and they are heavily betting on BRIC countries, They HAVE to.!

The main reason behind inhibitions in the big players mind is more with global economy and not jealousy, Toyota cannot Ignore India if it wants to acheive/retain world#1 position. India is too big a ball game to Ignore by ANY player.

Lets keep our fingers crossed and watch for a few more months.
Old 17th April 2008, 05:54   #19
BHPian

Dudes, there is really no conspiracy from the Japanese side they just do a little more market research than other thats all. and nobody seem to complain about that,after all they are introducing into our market a solid product right ? and these so called outdated models, why did people buy it if it was that overpriced and outdated ?

Some may say because they had no other choice.why did they not have any other choice ? because no other manufactures make such good cars or even if there were better cars in the market nobody is willing to take a chance.

Toyota or Honda not by any chance have not gives out an underrated product in our market unlike our local manufacturers(TATA,HM).

It's no conspiracy it's just that they are doing it at a slower pace come 2011 lets see how the small car market is.
Old 17th April 2008, 11:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Dudes, there is really no conspiracy from the Japanese side they just do a little more market research than other thats all. and nobody seem to complain about that,after all they are introducing into our market a solid product right ? and these so called outdated models, why did people buy it if it was that overpriced and outdated ?

Some may say because they had no other choice.why did they not have any other choice ? because no other manufactures make such good cars or even if there were better cars in the market nobody is willing to take a chance.

Toyota or Honda not by any chance have not gives out an underrated product in our market unlike our local manufacturers(TATA,HM).

It's no conspiracy it's just that they are doing it at a slower pace come 2011 lets see how the small car market is.
I don't deny that the Corolla is a good product. Except that it is priced almost double of what the car costs in the US, or any other market. Can Indian buyers protest against these high prices?. I checked with a Toyota dealer and the small car is still in the 'talking' stages. Toyota has more than 20 small car variants in its' stable and they can set up an assembly in 6 months time , if they want to. Same goes for Nissan. Nissan-Renault is setting up a 100,000 plus car plant in Chennai. All these cars are for export only!.But then, Nissan is run by a Brazilian and Renault is the co-owner and the French have a huge presence in Pondicherry.Things are like that.Japan gives more aid(money and development assistance) to Pakistan than they do to India.When will we learn?. Remember what the Chinese did to us years ago?.Oh. Honda(India)?. Their cheapest product costs an average 8lacs with modern trimmings and try using their dealer network after spending almost 20lacs for the CR-V, which is an economy mini-SUV, in other markets!. Preferred by female students at most US Universities , the CR-V is.

Last edited by nickatnite : 17th April 2008 at 12:00.
Old 17th April 2008, 13:14   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ on the above post. What is the localization content of the parts in Corolla or Innova. What is the % of this localized parts cost to that of the total cost of all the parts. As far as I am aware, the highly critical parts of the engine is imported.

Since it is being imported, these parts will bear an obnoxious thing called as import duty sending the cost skywards.......

Of course these Japanese car makers are definitely having higher margins for their cars, there is an influence on the cost which is out of the company's control (say the government norms)......

Hope this made sense.
Old 17th April 2008, 17:48   #22
BHPian

Toyota or Honda is not to blame for the 108% import duty imposed by our government, if there was no such thing who would buy a Corolla or a CRV ? if you ask me i would get my self an Audi A4 for 12 Lakhs or maybe a BMW 325d for 13 lakhs. so the Mercedes which costs 110,000 Dirhams in UAE costs 28 Lakhs in Kerala . and the the Corolla which costs 52,000 Dirhams in UAE costs just 9,91,000 in Kerala sort of feels like the corolla is under priced for what it offers and the vehicle price.

85 percentage of the parts of the Corolla is imported ,just some parts like horns(By Roots Coimbatore),seat materials & fabrics,Glass Parts,Tyres and Alloys are almost what is made in India,But In the Innova There is a little more Localisation Involved.

Honda's and Toyota Dealer Network will increase to a 110 percentage of what is now, by the year 2011 (the time when their small cars will rule the rest).

It's nobody else's blame but our government, for these kind of slow developments.It's not tough to get an import license after manufacturing something in our country ,All we have to do is bribe the Export License Issuer. But just try selling the same thing in the domestic market,We will have to Bribe,Bribe,Bribe the whole State or the government.
Old 17th April 2008, 19:59   #23
BHPian

Toyota's strategy for its upcoming small car

Indian Car blog: Toyota may import engines for its small car from Asean countries

News on Toyota's next small car and looks like another manufacturer is looking at a foreign market to outsource engines.

Note from Support Staff: Thread merged with existing.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th April 2008 at 21:14. Reason: See note. Please don't start new threads just to promote your blog. Thanks.
Old 17th April 2008, 22:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Too much

I am simply tired of hearing that Toyota is doing this and that.
What man?
Where is the Fortuner? And Bring the latest generation Yaris in india in 2010, not the present version that will be old in 2010.
Old 17th April 2008, 22:47   #25
BHPian

Fortuner? Yaris??..where's the next gen corolla for crying out loud!!..but the small car revolution in India is getting crazier by the day...The once ignored Indian market has now evolved into a small car hub..manufacturers are infact tailor making small cars to suit Indian conditions...we have come a long way, haven't we?
Old 17th April 2008, 23:02   #26
BHPian

Corolla coming in August

The next gen Corolla is coming in August. It will be priced higher than the current Corolla though
Old 17th April 2008, 23:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

blah blah blah blah.

They are about 14 years late to the game. Koreans came here when these gentlemen were still evaluating India entry.
Old 17th April 2008, 23:43   #28
BHPian

better late than never i'd say!..but toyota has sold every one of its products in large volumes..maybe the landcruiser didn't do all that well..but look at the corolla, innova and camry...and the qualis..which people initially mistook for godrej beros...
Old 18th April 2008, 09:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Corolla...?

Quote:
Fortuner? Yaris??..where's the next gen corolla for crying out loud!!..but the small car revolution in India is getting crazier by the day...The once ignored Indian market has now evolved into a small car hub..manufacturers are infact tailor making small cars to suit Indian conditions...we have come a long way, haven't we?
Yes man you are absolutely right. New Corolla is now suppossed to be here.

Quote:
The next gen Corolla is coming in August. It will be priced higher than the current Corolla though
Is it that present corolla will fight out with Honda City and new one will do that with Civic?

Vios must also have been on the Indian Roads by now to compete with City.
Old 18th April 2008, 12:45   #30
BHPian

dont know what they are up to

Toyota YARIS Hatchback/Sedan if launched can beat all the Premium hatches/Mid segment sedans as it has all it takes to lure the current generation of buyers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks