Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2008, 13:31   #1
BHPian

Ajanta to challenge Nano with electric car

Looks like ugly 3 wheeler Autos are going to be phased out soon
Let us wish "Best of Luck" to Ajanta.

Source : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Business/India_Business/Ajanta_to_challenge_Nano_with_electric_car/articleshow/2942510.cms
RAJKOT: There is competition for Tata's Nano from Gujarat. The new entrant in the small car sector is the Morbi-based world famous clock-maker Ajanta group. The company is planning to manufacture an electric car at its unit at Samkhiyali in Kutch district and market it at a price lower than Rs 1-lakh Nano.

Ajanta group director Jaysukh Patel told TOI: "The company is already manufacturing electric scooters and bikes under ‘Oreva' brand. Production of electric car is not difficult for us as the technology is almost similar and 70 per cent of its parts can be produced in-house, giving us an edge over the vehicle's pricing."

The R&D team was exploring the viability of the small car project under the conditions in India, he said. Sources said the company has imported eight electric cars of different brands, and they were being tested and studied by the technical staff for necessary modification under Indian conditions."

The Ajanta group is serious in its attempt to keep the basic price of the proposed car as low as Rs 85,000. At present, in the electric car segment only Reva car is available in India.

Another player in the small car segment, the Rajkot-based Field Marshal group, is in negotiations with Australian company Farnow Technologies for a joint venture for a low cost electric car.
Old 12th April 2008, 13:37   #2
BHPian

Cool. Hope they are able to make it. Was waiting for something like this from the Maini group(guys who make Reva) for a long time. But who ever is gonna make it is good.
Old 12th April 2008, 15:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ajanta is a producer of low cost clocks and calculaors. These folks have no experience in the automobilie industry. I wish them all the luck and for the sake of the Indian car buying public hope that they produce a quality product which lasts more than 2 years ( a lot of their clocks and watches do not)
Old 12th April 2008, 16:05   #4
BHPian

I think Ajanta got influenced by SMART CAR (tie up between Merc and Swiss watch). But Smart car is not cheap, comes at price of 7000 pounds (two seater).

Amit
Old 12th April 2008, 17:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Lot of things go into making of car and its no cakewalk. Any tom, dick & harry cannot make and sell cars. My personal opinion is it cannot give any challenge to Nano as it runs on battery and it needs to be charged every 80~100 kms (I hope). Nano runs with petrol/diesel (if launched). Public cannot afford to get themselves stopped in middle of nowhere as the battery has no charge or the charge is low.

Anyways, its a good idea and worth exploring. :-)

Last edited by snaronikar : 12th April 2008 at 17:03.
Old 12th April 2008, 17:15   #6
BHPian

Since Nano has been showcased, every is trying to make cheap cars, be Tara or Ajanta. I dont know how they are going to do it. TATAs spent four years in research, Renault & Hyndai are talking about a couple of years, and these people talk as if designing a car is very simple and they can do it any time they wish. Lets see what comes out of it.
Old 12th April 2008, 17:49   #7
BHPian

Any Photos

Anybody has the pic of the Ajanta car.... Even Bavina is producing Electric cars but at around Rs 2 lakh price, they are 4 seaters and pretty good looking.
Old 14th April 2008, 11:37   #8
BHPian

I think this is good news for the electric car consumers. I really like the Reva, but it is priced at upwards of 3.5 lacs. We need electric cars that can go upwards of atleast 150 kms after a single recharge. I was hoping for a bing bang from the budget this year for the electric car manufacturers, but the FM did'nt do anything apart from an excise cut for the hybrid cars.
Old 24th April 2008, 06:27   #9
BHPian

An electric car with 80-100km range is good enough. It is not for the mass public who buy this as their first car. But it is for all those people who already have a car and want a cheaper, smaller and easier to drive alternative to travel within the city. If the cheapest car is 3 lakhs then only buyers of cars upwards of 15 lakhs can afford a second car but if its is at 1 lakh 5-6lakh rupee car buyers can afford a second car. In China many people use these kinds of electric cars as their first car without any problem, they will only have to rent a car if they are planning a vacation. I don't see this trend far off in India too.

How they are going to do it though is another mistery. As far as i know the batteries alone will cost them 20-25k which will become cheaper by time. For selling at 99k they must be getting the chassis free.
Old 14th November 2009, 18:05   #10
BHPian

Ajanta Plans Rs.1 Lakh Battery Powered Car

Ajanta, the makers of quartz clocks, home appliances, vitrified tiles, and CFL Lamps is planning to launch a 1 Lakh Car to compete with Nano and the yet to be launched Bajaj-Renault Car. The Company plans to buy an existing Chinese Company. The car is planned to launch under the brand oreva. Oreva is an existing brand for its vitrified tiles. How Reva Cars will react to this.

SOURCE: Ajanta plans Rs 1-lakh car with Chinese buy- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Last edited by Sarvodaya : 14th November 2009 at 18:09. Reason: Edited the Title
Old 14th November 2009, 18:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is the car that they have been planning to launch for years now.
Flybo 6000 ZK.
Attached Thumbnails
Ajanta to challenge Nano with electric car-overzichtelektrischeautosflybo6000zk.jpg  

Old 14th November 2009, 19:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wow, a BMW Smart Car !!

Hope the government has set some standards for everyone regarding safety concerning electric voltages, cutoff etc., during crash.
Old 14th November 2009, 19:12   #13
BHPian

Cool.

Has anyone driven this car ?
Old 14th November 2009, 19:35   #14
BHPian

Hope something like this makes to the road soon. Got my N73 drinched in the rains last week. cos of the bloody rains. Why was I on a mobike? for a car even a small one like ours is still unpractical for a heavily congested space like where I live( or most of urban India for that matter).

I don't mind looking silly in a smart copycat, if I get a daily commuter with hassle free parking and cheap running cost ( thanks Govt of India for subsidizing home electricity).

Also I have no use for the extra 3 or 4 seats in a car for 90% of the time. If they shock the market like how they did with thier watches,we get a car for the price of a few cell phones and replace them every couple of years , enviroinment be damned
Old 15th November 2009, 11:31   #15
BHPian

Body of smart with BMW grill? what more do you need.. haha

I am glad that more people and venturing into automobiles. But practically speaking Ajanta seems to be atleast couple of years away. Anyone has insights on current status, launch date etc.?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks