Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2008, 00:58   #16
BHPian

I think hybrids need to be subsidised substantially by the government. In fact, what ever pay for the fuel actually hurts the country since we import most of what we use. Every rupee utilised more translates to less expenditure.
Old 19th May 2008, 14:40   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I think hybrids need to be subsidised substantially by the government. In fact, what ever pay for the fuel actually hurts the country since we import most of what we use. Every rupee utilised more translates to less expenditure.
Actually it only hurts the oil companies, for the government its a double edged sword. They spend about 17-21%(of what you pay for fuel) in buying and filtering the actual fuel. nearly 65% of the money you spend on fuel is going to the govenment as taxes. So if they reduce the amount of fuel used they loose a lot of money as taxes but will reduce our expenditure.

The second entity is overcome by the fact that we can be exporting goods worth almost the government spent on importing fuel.
Old 19th May 2008, 16:43   #18
BHPian

Has anyone experimented with using pure Hydrogen as a fuel? I've recently met someone who says that Hydrogen can burn just like petrol and is quite viable.
Old 19th May 2008, 18:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Has anyone experimented with using pure Hydrogen as a fuel? I've recently met someone who says that Hydrogen can burn just like petrol and is quite viable.
But with Hydrogen we would need considerable safety while using / handling the fuel.
Old 19th May 2008, 21:58   #20
BHPian

Hydrogen is very active substance and ignites readily but is not any more dangerous than Petrol. Hydrogen has a higher chance of escaping up into the atmosphere but if in a confined room it is as dangerous as the latest bomb as it can burn at high temperatures.

Having said that, the Hydrogen tanks being tested are very safe, safe enough to directly shoot at it(the Hollywood movie makers will not like to reveal this information). Accidents will barely cause a blast unless the tank is severly deformed.
Old 19th May 2008, 22:54   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmur View Post
Actually it only hurts the oil companies, for the government its a double edged sword. They spend about 17-21%(of what you pay for fuel) in buying and filtering the actual fuel. nearly 65% of the money you spend on fuel is going to the govenment as taxes. So if they reduce the amount of fuel used they loose a lot of money as taxes but will reduce our expenditure.

The second entity is overcome by the fact that we can be exporting goods worth almost the government spent on importing fuel.
Well. I dont see how it hurts the oil companies. There is always going to be demand for oil. The way oil prices are going up (globaly), we have to think of alternatives, if not now, then later. Why wait till the americans pioneer the technology and sell it to us? Why not encourage it within India?

The second point about taxes. Yes, the goverment is getting a lot more than 65% of fuel price as taxes. But then, fuel consumtion is rising every year. So the goevrment is just making more and more money every year right? And also, remember that dependence on fuel is always going to be a risky thing. Any wars around oil conuntries, Indian economy is going to suffer.
Old 19th May 2008, 23:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Well. I dont see how it hurts the oil companies.
Its like this they used to buy the petroleum for about $80 and sell it to us for about Rs.45 about 3 years back now it is at $125(Indian oil cos buy at a $115 avg) and they sell it to us at 52. The increase in purchase price is about 50% but increase in sale price is about 15%. So they are having wafer thin margins, they even claim to make losses for every litre sold(possible in summer seasons where oil prices soar).

Quote:
There is always going to be demand for oil. The way oil prices are going up (globaly), we have to think of alternatives, if not now, then later. Why wait till the americans pioneer the technology and sell it to us? Why not encourage it within India?

The second point about taxes. Yes, the goverment is getting a lot more than 65% of fuel price as taxes. But then, fuel consumtion is rising every year. So the goevrment is just making more and more money every year right? And also, remember that dependence on fuel is always going to be a risky thing. Any wars around oil conuntries, Indian economy is going to suffer.
Frankly speaking there are many alternatives, this(Hybrid) is one alternative that can work with most, and yes it can be developed here too but who will fund them(we could make them far cheaper then any one else can). But thanks to our government want to be not blamed for any thing they are trying to run away from the issue(remember the result of Bali). The common technique most politicians seems to be using world wide are blaming some one else(India blames US/UK, US loves to go pointing at India and China). Solving the issue does not seem to be a priority for them.

About Hydrogen, yes Hydrogen is very much like petrol is quite viable to be used in current ICE(Internal Combustion Engine) with some modifications

Here is one such a car BMW officially announces the BMW Hydrogen 7 - AutoblogGreen

And here is a video.

Last edited by arunmur : 19th May 2008 at 23:17.
Old 19th May 2008, 23:44   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
But with Hydrogen we would need considerable safety while using / handling the fuel.
That is what I thought too, in theory. But this guy has done some practical work, so....
Old 29th May 2008, 10:17   #24
BHPian

Honda to offer India's first hybrid car

Honda to offer India's first hybrid car
Honda to offer India's first hybrid car-India Business-Business-The Times of India

Honda Siel Cars will launch its and India's first hybrid car - the Honda Civic hybrid - on June 18 in Delhi market. The car will run on electricity as well as petrol.

"It will be available at all our 80 dealersips across the country for test drive on the same day," said Masahiro Takedagawa, president and CEO of Honda Siel Cars India Ltd. He said, while the company does not expect to sell more than 300-400 cars in the first year, the idea is to give its Indian customers an experience of the car.

The hybrid car, which will be imported from its Suzuka factory in Japan, will cost over Rs 20 lakh ex-showroom, post an import duty of 104 per cent, said Takedagawa, after inaugurating Pride Honda, the company's second dealership in Hyderabad.
Old 29th May 2008, 15:03   #25
BHPian

I will anyday buy the Hybrid that Saif Drives in Salam namaste. Dont know If its a hybrid but looks like one. I mean the car is enough for Single Driver who drive mostly alone. Today I see people driving in big big cars all alone. Whats the sense?

It's not the matter of who can afford it. But its more about Less FE, Pollution because of less FE and thus choking the way for our future generation to open their eyes in this lovely planet.

You ask them why do they buy such big cars if they have to drive mostly alone or with driver? The answer is Style statement, Showoff's, Comfort, Engine power. But the question here is at What Cost?

I have already decided I will never buy a Sedan just for Single Drive.
Old 20th June 2008, 09:09   #26
BANNED

Indian car cos speed up on hybrid road

Homegrown hybrids are due from Tata and Mahindra in the next three years. Taking their frugal engineering capabilities to a new level, Tata Motors and Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) are developing affordable hybrid vehicles.

According to sources, the Tata and M&M hybrid models will come at an additional cost of less than Rs 1 lakh to the existing range. Tata Motors has set a benchmark price of Rs 45,000 for the hybrid car technology while M&M’s cost target is of around Rs 80,000 for its utility vehicle range.

Launching the new hybrid will also help these companies meet future emission norms in domestic and overseas markets. They can reduce the average CO2 emissions to meet stringent norms applicable in developed markets like Europe and North America.
Old 24th June 2008, 11:38   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i feel similarly
maybe you should read my post on my impressions on reva test drive taken last week (Sat) posted on the thread Reva@2.49lacs
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
I will anyday buy the Hybrid that Saif Drives in Salam namaste. Dont know If its a hybrid but looks like one. I mean the car is enough for Single Driver who drive mostly alone. Today I see people driving in big big cars all alone. Whats the sense?

It's not the matter of who can afford it. But its more about Less FE, Pollution because of less FE and thus choking the way for our future generation to open their eyes in this lovely planet.

You ask them why do they buy such big cars if they have to drive mostly alone or with driver? The answer is Style statement, Showoff's, Comfort, Engine power. But the question here is at What Cost?

I have already decided I will never buy a Sedan just for Single Drive.
Old 24th June 2008, 11:40   #28
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I would welcome this - am very keen to move to the Scorp Hybrid once it comes through and if this cost control business is true then it might fit my budgetary capabilities too. am also keen to move my dad's car to the Indigo CS Hybrid once it comes - hope that also happens soon
i sincerely wish they succeed

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Indian car cos speed up on hybrid road

Homegrown hybrids are due from Tata and Mahindra in the next three years. Taking their frugal engineering capabilities to a new level, Tata Motors and Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) are developing affordable hybrid vehicles.

According to sources, the Tata and M&M hybrid models will come at an additional cost of less than Rs 1 lakh to the existing range. Tata Motors has set a benchmark price of Rs 45,000 for the hybrid car technology while M&M’s cost target is of around Rs 80,000 for its utility vehicle range.

Launching the new hybrid will also help these companies meet future emission norms in domestic and overseas markets. They can reduce the average CO2 emissions to meet stringent norms applicable in developed markets like Europe and North America.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks