Team-BHP - The ULTIMATE Indian Hybrid Vehicle Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The ULTIMATE Indian Hybrid Vehicle Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/38375-ultimate-indian-hybrid-vehicle-thread.html)

Folks,

Welcome! To say that I'm very familiar Hybrids would be an understatement. My interests in alternatively fueled vehicles dates back a decade and I currently drive one of the lowest polluting cars in India (Duel Fuel Optra CNG - search for my review on TeamBHP).

But a CNG vehicle is only one way to reduce the impact of fossil fuels on our environment and is limited in it's practicality. Sure, we also have LPG available to us however, like in the case of CNG, we have distribution set up around the metros primarily. :Frustrati

A literate, globally aware individual would find it hard to ignore the carbon crisis that we are experiencing where, we as a species, have based our economies upon digging up carbon from the ground, exploding it in our engines and ultimately distributing it in the air this planet breathes.

A wave of electric driven cars from the BIG manufacturers (GM, Nissan, Toyota) are on the horizon, 3-5 years away. But what is one to do in the interim? The answer: HYBRIDS clap:

A Hybrid is vehicle with an electric and gasoline motor combined, that uses one motor as the primary drive and the other as a backup. This results in fuel efficiency increases of around 40-50% in several cases. The energy from these vehicles is stored in batteries that provide power for the electric motors to "Thrust" the vehicle forward (Mild Hybrids) OR drive the vehicles solely (Full Hybrids).

Hybrid Vehicles on the way to India (Confirmed) are:

1) Mahindra Scorpio - Can't say how much I appreciate that an Indian Manufacturer is getting a DIESEL Hybrid to market FIRST IN INDIA, then the rest of the world. The Scorpio start/ stop micro-hybrid will hit the roads in the next couple months, followed by the full-hybrid. The micro Hybrid makes TOTAL sense for all users and will be marginally more expensive.

2) Honda Civic Hybrid - With the recent duty subsidy announced by the Govt. of India, I hope that the Civic Hybrid will be sold for ~15 lacs in India. That is the only way it will achieve the sales it needs to penetrate this market and outsell its diesel competitors like the Laura etc. The car is VERY technologically advanced and will deliver fuel efficiency in the 16+ kmpl range with 70% reduction in emissions, with silent city operation and total owner satisfaction

3) Toyota Prius - There was talk about the Prius entering the market. Anyone with any further info, please post.

4) Maini Reva-i - Let's not forget about our own little G-Whiz car! While not a hybrid, this little wonder is a FULL electric car that's been available for half a decade. The new, "i" model brings much needed improvements to the platform and I'm certain that the Maini family is trying to keep up with Western competition. While it's expensive for a A segment car and should only be bought where there are dealers, the governments (State + Federal) show potential for subsidies for electric cars.

In the end, if we really want technologically superior vehicles in India vs. all the overpriced crap we now get, we need to embrace these environmentally friendly options and spread the word on their benefits.

Is this the end solution? Nope, but they are a sure step in getting us there.

See THIS thread for more information on the Mahindra Hybrid

Scorpio Hybrid Details enclosed

Take a look at the following preso for TATA's plans...

http://www.simbaproject.org/download...a%20Motors.pdf

They need to introduce more clean diesels in India, like Volkswagen's 60 mpg 1.9TDi or the 78 mpg 1.2L TDi.

Yes, kudos to Mahindra for developing hybrid technology. Personally, I'm waiting for the Civic Hybrid - I'm keen to buy it but it really depends on what they price it at. Im not going to pay through my nose for green tech. Honda and the Government need to make it viable for me.

honda coming out with civic hybrid in under 3 months time. best is the price. 18-20 laks. wow im surprise at that. whats the point of it. NOTHING

Are you certain of that price? Is it published somewhere? If not, then lets not speculate.

If they do price it above 16 Lacs, I'm sure they'll lose all the adopters of this technology, this one included. That would be a shame.

As to what i read in the papers and mags, the Scorpio is what Americans(GM) call as the Mild Hybrid. Europeans call it the 'Stop Start System'. This can very much replace our existing system.

It has a powerful starter attached directly to the crankshaft or can be belt driven like BAS (Belt Alternator Startor). The startor allows the engine to be started in milliseconds allowing it to be seamlessly switched off/on where it would normally idle for long. Mordern normal engine is as good as switched off when you take the leg off the throttle.

The BAS regenerates power when you release the throttle, this power is stored in a much bigger battery, which would help run some of the cars needed equipment like the Air Conditioner, power stearing, even the power assisted brakes in some cars and other nick nack devices like the Radio/power windows etc. Also note that all these devices will made to consume limited power if the vehicle is idle/engine switched off most of the cars systems already work this way.

Ofcourse if the battery power gets too low, then the engine would restart if it is not already running and charge it.

But since most of the components required for these car are quite pricey(think of bigger battery + bigger alternators + electric AC + EPS three mode + more complex ECU) and the component manufacturers are also going to charge them a premium as they do not enjoy mass manufacturing benefits. So unless it appears in small cars they are not going to be cheap. As far as i see they are atleast about 6 years far away from common public and cost consious Indian market.

Its more or less upto companies like MSIL, Hyundai, TATA & MAHINDRA to take the big step or upto the government to impose lower duties on these components to make it possible. I guess the newer BMWs have it.

Actually, Mahindra has 2 versions coming out. The Stop Start ala Belt Alternator system (BAS), and a mild hybrid, capable of propelling the car at low speeds on electric power only.

In both cases, larger batteries are needed. But with the Mild hybrid, the electric motor provides more than just boost, raising costs substantially.

In my opinion, Stop Start systems are EXTREMELY viable for India provided they are able to power accessories for a substantiable time period while the vehicle is at rest (read: sitting in traffic). The sooner this reaches market, the sooner this technology will take off

Yes it will be very useful here, especially in cities like Bangalore where vehicles burn away fuel idling. There are certain routes where you idle/ride at low speed for 30mins in a 45 min journey. At such situations both mild hybrid and regular hybrid will help in reducing fuel consumption and pollution.

Sadly, Both these technologies are 10+ years old but have not yet found it to the mass market.

It is best to get this into the market now ( with the maximum possible help from the Govt ), before we become too dependant on oil :)

Yeah thats what i believe too, hope we start getting greener technologies before we become the second largest polluter and dependent of world oil.

True Indian Hybrid should have Solar panel on the roof to absorb the abundant solar energy on the move and while parked. This should be combination of Petrol / diesel engine + Electric + Solar.

Also it should have option to produce the power required to pump the air for Tata- Grey's Air-Car.

I bet, the high usage of Solar panel will bring the cost down and efficiency/output should be doubling every 6~18 months like how Computer CPU's did.

Seems it would be the Bolero to sport one first.