Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2008, 12:51   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I still feel Ikon has the josh to keep moving but certainly at a slow pace. The model is not dead yet. Ford has done a good thing by sticking to the one model clear choice. A diesel will help to revive the sales. If not the the 1.8, atleast the 1.4 one. Extremely good value for money at the entry level sedan category.

I wish they bring down the spare prices of the model. Ford may still be making good money on the spares and I feel this is the strategy in the long run. Large number of Ikons in the second hand market has also dampened the chances of the car.

And the good thing: all the better for the consumers, others will have to pull up their socks.
You are right Ajo. The spare prices of Ford models is on the pricier side and perhaps this is what keeps them in business for a long haul. But with competition hotting up, sooner than later Ford India will need to overhaul the prices of spares. They can't be selling them at much higher prices compared to the competition.

. Precisely why the Mondeo did not click in India (sky high spare pricing!), a wonderful car to which Ford did not do justice here! I must add though, I do not know the exact pricing of the spares for Ford models but from hearsay it looks to be on pricier side. Correct me if I am mistaken here.

Last edited by wanderlustindia : 16th April 2008 at 12:52.
Old 16th April 2008, 13:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

I can remember that even 4 years ago Ikon Flair was 4.49 lakhs. They just keep going back to the same price with their schemes. But unfortunately selling old wine in old bottle with the old price is not going to cut it for Ford. They need to be coming out with more newer models to compete effectively in any segment.
Even Ford Fiesta is no longer new and its sales are loosing steam leave alone Ikon!!!
Old 16th April 2008, 15:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Ford always sells models way past their 'sell-by' date. They do this in the US also. Witness the Crown Victoria and Marquis sedans, both of 1980's vintage. They could have freshened up the iKon a bit. Or, they should have got the Govt. to mass purchase the car, like they do in the US. A majority of Govt. cars are made by Ford.
Old 16th April 2008, 15:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
They could have freshened up the iKon a bit. Or, they should have got the Govt. to mass purchase the car, like they do in the US. A majority of Govt. cars are made by Ford.
They are onto that now !

I remember reading a recent article in Economic Times that Ford indeed got such an arrangement to sell Ikon to the Government.

Rediff: Govt offices to buy Ford Ikon now
Ford Ikon Flair to replace the Ambassador as government staff cars
Old 16th April 2008, 21:53   #20
BANNED

Brilliant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Dzire some josh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
P.S. : Awesome thread title.
Ikon for Ford is like Esteem for Maruti. The question is when will they let it go. They had a chance when they launched Fiesta, but now when?

Maybe its time for Fiesta hatch for Ikon .
Old 16th April 2008, 22:18   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford has done whats to be expected. I'm sure nothing would please them more than plonking a TDCi engine in the Ikon to even it out against the Dzire, but then the Ikon is approaching the end of its model life in 2009.
Old 16th April 2008, 23:10   #22
BHPian

I think it's gimmick to do away with all the current model Ikons because there is a new ikon coming in october.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/36326-ikon-flair-have-1-4tdci-heart.html?highlight=ikon

Last edited by gendarmee : 16th April 2008 at 23:13. Reason: adding link
Old 16th April 2008, 23:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
plonking a TDCi engine in the Ikon to even it out against the Dzire, but then the Ikon is approaching the end of its model life in 2009.
Its not so easy! That will kill the already not so spectacular Fiesta sales - most of which are diesels. Remember Huyndai killing Accent CRDi to boost Verna sales?
Old 17th April 2008, 07:20   #24
BHPian

It was almost time that they stopped production of the Ikon it was doing that less numbers,now this maybe a welcome move ,but who would buy a Petrol Ford Ikon which may stop production anytime soon ?

It's All about taking the risk.
Old 17th April 2008, 11:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
but then the Ikon is approaching the end of its model life in 2009.
How or why do you say that? The product life cycle of cars in India is usually longer than in the US or Europe. M800 and Esteem are examples. I would say Ikon is still at the saturation stage. There is still time before it goes into its final death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Its not so easy! That will kill the already not so spectacular Fiesta sales - most of which are diesels. Remember Huyndai killing Accent CRDi to boost Verna sales?
I feel most car companies in India today are desperately seeking volumes to keep moving. If Ikon is going to achieve volumes, I dont think it should bother Ford much. It will help them gain lost ground and will also help fund for new launches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
It was almost time that they stopped production of the Ikon it was doing that less numbers,now this maybe a welcome move ,but who would buy a Petrol Ford Ikon which may stop production anytime soon ?
It's All about taking the risk.
Yes, thats the right word, almost time. Not yet. We have seen the Esteem and its derivatives in business for a longer time. Havent we? I still see more steam for Ikon.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 17th April 2008 at 11:08.
Old 17th April 2008, 11:19   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How or why do you say that? The product life cycle of cars in India is usually longer than in the US or Europe. M800 and Esteem are examples. I would say Ikon is still at the saturation stage. There is still time before it goes into its final death.
As much as I'll agree that product lifecycles are longer in India, the *forward thinking* manufacturers stick a 5 - 7 years life cycle to their models. Flogging a dead horse doesn't do much to the brand. Just ask HM.
Old 5th May 2008, 14:33   #27
BANNED

5 May, 2008, 1415 hrs IST,Pankaj Doval, TNN

The new Fiesta compact unveiled by Ford at the Geneva Motor Show could well be headed to India. "It can be a possibility and we are studying this," Michael Boneham, who takes charge from Arvind Mathew as Ford India's new MD and president, said.

Ford may drive Fiesta compact into India- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Maybe its time for Fiesta hatch for Ikon .
Old 5th May 2008, 17:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Yes. The IKON is a bit outdated now, but still a pretty good product, especially after the price cut. But have the spare prices come down?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks