Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2008, 09:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Xover is to compete with 2.5l, 2 Valves, 4 Cyl. 215 Nm, 66 kW(89hp).

And what engine will it sport?

Source:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...il-2008-a.html
Old 18th April 2008, 10:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
First Tata make their sumo and safari trustworthy, instead of just being over optimistic and just keep on launching products. They should learn from M&M for what they have done with Scorpio, one model and trustworthy, sturdy and realiable. I have 2 friends with Safari, and what they say is you can never predict whether this monster will start or not in a cold morning. This kind of reliability is not going to help them in anyway. As a Tata Motors shareholder and avid motor enthusiast, it is very disappointing when I hear about Sumo Grande's issues on even basic stuff. What counts is quality. even the newly lunched Sumo is lagging the very basic of car making (this is based on the feedback from the only one owner in tbhp). I almost bought it, but the history of new model from Tata made me hesitate. so, hope atleast on this model they do something REALLY.
I agree with you on Tata cars. Tata should make thier cars reliable, instead of making people turn heads by just launching new products which are not trustworthy. A company like Tata can easily make cars with superior technology - they have experience in automobile like any other multi national car manufacturers.
But I do not agree with Mahindra. Scorpio still needs lot of improvements. Bolero can not be classified as a great car just from its recent sales surge. They lack quality in every part.

If a Hyndai from Korea, a Toyota from Japan, A GM from USA, why not a Tata from India or M&M from India when they plan to spread their wings acrosss the globe. Quality is all they need as their catch word now!
Old 18th April 2008, 10:37   #18
BHPian

The quality of TATA cars has improveda lot in recent times but stil is a long way to go. Is TATA ignoring quality factor? probebly not, I am sure they can bring out quality products but the cost may be higher and then they loose the price advantage, which will make it very difficult for them to compete with the big boys.

So in my opinion they are trying to improve quality within a lower price braket, thats why it is taking them longer to achieve the quality goal.

Last edited by Car-Agey : 18th April 2008 at 10:38.
Old 18th April 2008, 13:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
Perhaps it was the way the pic was taken (that came in the papers today) that the XOver looked exactly like an Innova. And, I agree, as GTO said, the XOver is likely going to have a big price advantage vis-a-vis the Innova.
Having seen the Xover (at 2006 Auto Expo), I'd say there is quite a bit of resemblence with the Innova in terms of overall size, shape and ugliness!
Old 18th April 2008, 13:57   #20
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Xover is to compete with 2.5l, 2 Valves, 4 Cyl. 215 Nm, 66 kW(89hp).

And what engine will it sport?

Source:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...il-2008-a.html

2.2 L 120 BHP ..... Similar to the Grande ... I dont think its advisabe to detune it further ..

And MnM might be planning on the 2.5 for their Base Model @ 5 L INR ...
Old 18th April 2008, 15:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

But why just 89BHP from a 2.5L mill? Isn't that very less from the current standards?

Last edited by safari_lover : 18th April 2008 at 15:08.
Old 18th April 2008, 16:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
I understand from sources that the internal target for the new safari is 2010 but based on current status it is expected only in 2011.
New safari as in "All New Safari" or a face-lift?
Old 18th April 2008, 17:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslambhai View Post
New safari as in "All New Safari" or a face-lift?
More than a face-lift and less than all-new. Like Sumo Grande.
Old 18th April 2008, 19:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
First Tata make their sumo and safari trustworthy, instead of just being over optimistic and just keep on launching products.
What we have got to realise is that the Sumo and Safari were designed when Tata knew absolutely nothing about making cars. Whatever they did was from the limited runs of the Estate and Sierra.

It is the Indica / Indigo that bumped them up the learning curve.
Old 18th April 2008, 19:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

are they going to use the same headlights they used in the geneva concept?

More than vehicle quality, i feel they need to increase the quality of their sales and service. that would make the bumpy ride a lot more bearable
Old 19th April 2008, 12:08   #26
BHPian

Tata Indica Silhouette concept : 330 PS 3.5 liter V6

Came across this article. Didn't want to start a new thread as I was not convinced with it. Does anyone have any info on it.

Tata Indica Silhouette concept : 330 PS 3.5 liter V6

Tata gets ready for Xover launch-tata_indica_silhouette.jpg

The Tata Indica Silhouette concept car is unlike what you’d expect an Indica to be. This is not a budget city car with a tiny engine, but rather a track monster powered by a 3.5 liter V6 mounted at the rear of the car, powering the rear wheels as well. This setup instantly reminds us of the Renault Clio V6, but this isn’t exactly a production road car.

The 3.5 liter V6 engine (a race-ready version of the Renault-Nissan VQ engine) produces 330 PS at 7.000rpm and sends the 850kg Tata Indica Silhouette barrelling down the roads up to the 100km/h mark in just 4.5 seconds, up to a top speed of 270km/h. The engine is mated to a 6-speed sequential gearbox.

The 2-seater car is built on a space frame steel chassis made with aeronautical steel and uses the engine as a stress member. The Golf GTI W12-650 uses an adjustable progressive rate pneumatic suspension system. For track duties, it has a data logging system and a high-accuracy GPS unit.
So in reality this isn’t exactly an Indica adapted to fit a V6 in the rear, but a space frame and an engine with a shell made to look like an Indica put on top of it, much like R3’s

Source : Tata at Paul Tan's Automotive News

Last edited by Car-Agey : 19th April 2008 at 12:12.
Old 19th April 2008, 12:17   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
But I do not agree with Mahindra. Scorpio still needs lot of improvements. Bolero can not be classified as a great car just from its recent sales surge. They lack quality in every part.
Iam not sure what do you drive, but I have a Scorpio 2006. I admit the ride quality at low speeds in country roads is a big let down. But in terms electrical, build quality, durability and reliability Scorpio when comparing with any Indian origin automobiles, is surely superior and sturdier.

I have driven, Saabs, Volvos, Hondas, Toyota, Nissans, Fords and Subarus as well. I can tell you, the Scorp feels really strong. Added to this, they have sorted out all those electrical related probs if any and the CRDe under hood is a gem in terms of pick up. You need to drive and feel it.

I never thought of buying an Indian orgin car but I bought scorp after seeing the condition of a 2002 scorp driven by my uncle, still feeling fresh, cool aircon eventhough it is a non-crdi engine. Fyi, he is having a 2002 Prado, Vectra and Merc E240. He prefers Scorp for all his long drives because of its reliability he says. This is just one example.

Grande! When it will achieve this level of reliability let alone performance and other qualities. It is possbile for Tata to do a Scorp easily. The problem is in their strategy. They want that mass market and numbers simply, instead of quality. They want to win while they do the design it self : a diesel truck, cheap under 5.5lakhs, 7 seater etc. My personnel obervation. Wish to see a realiable Tata soon and hopefully i get some decent return on my shares! :-)

Last edited by sgmuser : 19th April 2008 at 12:20.
Old 19th April 2008, 12:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I never thought of buying an Indian orgin car but I bought scorp after seeing the condition of a 2002 scorp driven by my uncle, still feeling fresh, cool aircon eventhough it is a non-crdi engine. Fyi, he is having a 2002 Prado, Vectra and Merc E240. He prefers Scorp for all his long drives because of its reliability he says. This is just one example.

Please lets not take this beyond the realms of reality.

The Scorpio is a great vehicle for the purpose and market it is intended to serve, but lets not go overboard. As for Tata reliability and the comparison with M&M, you really need to revisit that cliche.
Old 19th April 2008, 15:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

Some time back the fight was in the small car segment and now its more in the entry level SUV,muv segment.Lots of launches and multiple choice from the same manufacturers.Good to see it and i am sure none of the manufacturers are bothered about which of their model sells as long as its from their stable.
x-over looked terrific in spite of it being on the estate base.If the said features are incorporated then its a VFM option if the pricing is in the innova bracket.TATA have to concentrate more on the plastic parts quality to be competitive.
Old 19th April 2008, 16:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Ram. To Compete with a car Like Innova TATA has to be spot on with the quality of the plastics. They cannot compromise in the quality department . Then it can eat a slice of Innova's share!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks