Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2008, 01:17   #16
BHPian

I don't agree with forcing the old vehicles off the road just because they are old. They can still be under the permitted pollution level limit, Vehicles which do not pass the PUC test can be removed or even repaired.
Few people can afford to get new vehicles few people cannot.
Consider a person who's retired, he/she cannot pluck out even 3-4 lakhs for a new vehicle.
They probably should change all the old government/public transport/taxi catagory vehicles on an urgent basis, and they can discontinue transferring (selling) of old private vehicles. That will be fair.

Last edited by gendarmee : 19th April 2008 at 01:23.
Old 19th April 2008, 02:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you,gendarmee.
Just because a vehicle is old doesn't mean it pollutes the environment. There are exceptions always. Some of the relatively new cars spew so much smoke,its crazy.
If the vehicle passes the basic road-worthiness test,it should be fine to renew the tags.If not,either get it fixed,or don't drive it around.
Old 19th April 2008, 09:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Exactly the same thing happened in Bangalore around a year back. The transport department wanted to remove the vehicles which are 15 years older. But the owners of these vehicles went on strike and made this move a joke. The same thing will happen. The transport lobby in government will be strong. Also, few of the politicians would own the transport companies and these guys certainly do not want to junk the vehicles just because its old.
Old 19th April 2008, 09:16   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

So what happens to the vintage and classic cars?
Old 19th April 2008, 09:25   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
So what happens to the vintage and classic cars?
I assume they are exempted. I was under the impression that a somewhat similar law is already in place in the NCR, and the classics were exempted and allowed to ply for rallies and things with prior permission for each event. Ishan et al, can you shed light on this?
Old 19th April 2008, 11:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

What all complications are there it is a welcome move.Rules have to be set so that Delhi vehicles should not be re regn any where in India.Let this be a welcome gesture for all states.Its not alone pollution the entire look of the city would be changed.And also the attitude of owners will also change so that all care for there vehicles and rash driving from old vehicle owners will be controlled.
Good one though,

ram
Old 19th April 2008, 11:32   #22
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I assume they are exempted. I was under the impression that a somewhat similar law is already in place in the NCR, and the classics were exempted and allowed to ply for rallies and things with prior permission for each event. Ishan et al, can you shed light on this?
In most of the developed world, vintage cars must be shipped to the event on the back of a flatbed truck.

While the vintage number plate is a great icon of authenticity, it is no longer valid in the absence of pollution and safety norms stickers. These stickers will not be issued to vintage vehicles.

So aside from the swap meets, fleamarkets and drive-ins pre-cleared by the police, vintage vehicles may not be driven at all.

A case in counterpoint for India, is the polished brass-radiatored, burgundy-colored 1920s ragtop Fiat which was actually driven during the monsoon on the Mumbai-Pune expressway from Mumbai to Pune for a Fiat show!

Pune
Old 19th April 2008, 12:26   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Who then is to decide if my (hypothetical) old Standard herald, is in fact junk or a masterpiece?
Old 19th April 2008, 13:06   #24
BANNED

The state governments (State, as in Karnataka or New Delhi) do not have arbitrary powers to decide age limits of vehicles. Section 59 of the MV act confers the power solely on the Central Government. The power to fix age limit is coupled with the power to exempt certain vehicles from the age limit. Once the vehicle has crossed the age limit (Reckoned from date of manufacture - not date of registration), the fitness certificate will not be issued / renewed.

My question, 15 year old vehicles are neither vintages, nor classics. So, we are suddenly to find total absence of vehicles between "classics" and 15 years age. Or is this something else.
Old 19th April 2008, 14:28   #25
BHPian

For a well maintained car, 15 years is hardly anything. It would be a pity if instead of doing a thorough Certificate of Fitness, the government decided to junk all cars older than 15 years. You would have newer vehicles polluting and older well kept cars junked. Its a myopic view to take, at least for personal vehicles.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks