Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2008, 09:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Delhi to sweep streets clean of 15 year old cars

Delhi to sweep streets clean of 15-yr-old cars- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Came across this article, another environment clean up act.

Mods: Please move/merge this thread to appropriately if this post doesn't belong here.
Old 18th April 2008, 09:57   #2
BHPian

haha nothing will happen. Delhi's Conditions will become worse ever.
Old 18th April 2008, 09:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Delhi to sweep streets clean of 15-yr-old cars- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Came across this article, another environment clean up act.

Mods: Please move/merge this thread to appropriately if this post doesn't belong here.
Let us see how many actually get de-registered. It is just an exercise in generating more bribe for RTO crooks
Old 18th April 2008, 10:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

And they move to UP and HR numbers!!!
Old 18th April 2008, 10:17   #5
BHPian

what happens to cars which are just standing there and rusting away will those be sweeped off too ?
Old 18th April 2008, 10:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

The fitness test thing they mention is nothing but the already existing procedure for CF. There should not be any ban on older vehicles as long as they meet the norms.
Old 18th April 2008, 11:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

btw, a policewala stuck in airport torchure jam told me yesterday that now for arguing with policemen, there is a 1500 buck additional fine :-o

I think its about time we put a flag of a political party on our rides!
Old 18th April 2008, 11:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Its a good move. But how much it will be implemented we need to see. The transport lobby is strong and they may not allow to do it. (my opinion)
Old 18th April 2008, 12:05   #9

In a place like Delhi, with its ever increasing no. vehicles, this looks like a good move. However, going by my past experience - Its only on Paper yet. Implementation is another ball game altogether ! This thought has been going on since a decade now, but nothing has actually transpired.

I have seen, Old junked up cars gathering rust in Delhi Police Stations, Not a finger has been moved ! So much for the Power honcho's..

Although, I don't have anything to worry, my 18 year old M800 is going to score a distinction if at all put to test !
Old 18th April 2008, 13:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

A quick dipstick on whether this will work or not is to take stock on whether 15 years old trucks are off the roads of Delhi. Can someone from Delhi confirm this (The news item says that the 15 years or older trucks were taken off the roads few weeks back).
Old 18th April 2008, 13:16   #11
BHPian

don't we know how the Indian govt runs??...how strict this rule is going to be enforced is to be seen..
Old 18th April 2008, 13:34   #12
BHPian

India or Indians aren't that rich yet to chuck old vehicles for new ones. I mean there are a lot of people who dare think about getting a new set of wheels if the older one still does the job. Let alone that, the NOC they talk about how much is that going to cost?
IMO we should see the implementation of a yearly road worthiness of the vehicles as in western countries (e.g. MOT in the UK), which will ensure that the wheels aren't on the road as soon as they fail the road worthiness test.
Old 18th April 2008, 19:51   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karandeep81 View Post
India or Indians aren't that rich yet to chuck old vehicles for new ones. I mean there are a lot of people who dare think about getting a new set of wheels if the older one still does the job. Let alone that, the NOC they talk about how much is that going to cost?
IMO we should see the implementation of a yearly road worthiness of the vehicles as in western countries (e.g. MOT in the UK), which will ensure that the wheels aren't on the road as soon as they fail the road worthiness test.
Exactly. A blanket ban on vehicles 15 years older or more is ridiculous.
We have many norms in India, but the problem is that none of them are implimented properly.
Old 18th April 2008, 23:39   #14
BHPian

15 year old vehicles to be srapped off the roads - we have been hearing this since last 3-4 years. As usual, 10-15 vehicles will be towed away by the policemen, shown in front of the 'ever - ready' news channel crews, and voila !! RTOs are safe to say that the rule was implemented to a great extent !!

Why dont we go to the root of the problem ? All we really need is strictest possible emission norms and equally strict checking up of vehicles. For example, anyone driving a vehicle not befitting these norms should have his/ her driving license suspended for a month or so.

Stamping a fine doesnt work in India anymore - people dont really care about the small amounts of money they need to pay for disobeying a law.

PS: Sorry for a long post - but last 2-3 days have been most frustrating in my driving life till now
Old 18th April 2008, 23:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

It would definitely be a good thing to have,if in reality this rule does come into existence. Removing all the old & crappy vehicles not only improves the pollution issue,traffic conditions would benefit a tad bit.

Well,if thats the case,90% of the Govt vehicles need to head to the junkyard!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks