Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2008, 23:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Why can't Maruti localize the GV? Why CBU? Also plonk a 1.9 DDiS. There you go. You have a serious Scorpio competitor
Old 20th April 2008, 00:12   #32
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Why is nobody talking about wheelbase?
what about the wheel base?

also, maybe we should get some rocket scientists to look at this thread and figure out if there is a demand for diesel

Old 20th April 2008, 01:09   #33
Senior - BHPian

@ Sudev
"Cumulative average for all these kilometers is 9.8kpl" - that is really good! You would have driven extensively on highways without the constant start-stop city traffic, but I guess high speeds balance that as far as the average FE is concerned. 9.8 kpl is VERY encouraging.

@ ramkya1
"If they improve the 4WD" - I thought (sources: web research, Samurai, Sudev) that GV has a very capable 4WD system - good enough to take care of everything other than extreme offroading!

@ HSV
" Not only that I think there is a 50K - 75K cash discount on offer as well." - how did you manage a discount :-) ? Or is the discount available only in Delhi? I asked the Bangalore sales guy, and he said that he can offer a few freebies (e.g. rear parking sensor, power mirror... - but was noncommittal about leather seats) - but no discounts.

@ GTO
"One sure way to boost Vitara sales is to dress up the interiors." - 'KMs to go till zero fuel' guage, tyre pressure indicator, cruise control (removed for the Indian version) would have been nice. I don't know why Maruti didn't include these when they are available in much cheaper cars.

@ All (especially the Mods):

Is there anyway we can leverage the power of this community to convey to Maruti that it makes business sense for them to offer the Vitara at around 13L OTR (or at least at a much reduced price)?

If anyone (a member from the auto industry?) knows how much margin they could be making – approximate figure - per car for a CBU, and how much is the CAPEX and OPEX – say over 5 years – to roll out 4000 cars per year, then we could do some number crunching and let them know that they could be selling much more (say we estimate the increased sales at different price points using Team-BHP surveys) and making more money through lesser margins per car but increased volume by manufacturing the GV in India.

In fact, why not leverage the collective power of the user community and do this for other manufacturers’ CBUs also? What better forum would they find when they do their initial market research about estimated car sales or decide on their pricing strategy – and when they need to run numbers for break even analysis (CBU vs. plant in India) or price elasticity of demand analysis? And why not tie up with Market Research agencies for this?

This is just a generic idea. I am a newbie, and don’t know whether auto manufacturers talk to Team-BHP, or which other forums are the serious competitors to Team-BHP (from my limited research, probably none – unless it is one of the magazine’s forums – and the quality of discussions in a car portal e.g. Carwale is way below what happens here) – but if this forum has a unique quality + quantity advantage, then there are various ways to leverage that. Think of the power the best and biggest car enthusiasts’ community could have to change things in this country if it started asserting its power. Why shouldn’t the biggest auto enthusiasts' community in India have the same (or better) leverage that car magazines have? Especially when nowadays the internet (research and feedback) has so much power over an auto purchase decision in India.

I have come across (during the course of my career – and especially when researching social networks) user/ enthusiast communities leveraging their power in many ways. It is happening elsewhere – why not be a pioneer in India?

If anyone is interested in a discussion on this, I am game. I once was an internet entrepreneur, and if I see an opportunity to leverage the power of the net, I get excited about the possibilities. Mods, if I am way out of my line, excuse my rant - or delete the last few paras :-)
Old 20th April 2008, 10:57   #34
BHPian

thank you

Thank You so much to all who wrote in.
First my applause to them. Extremely insightful.
As i have put in my introduction very clearly my association with Grand Vitara, my purpose of starting this thread is transparently apparent to all. I value all the views, time and effort put in by all the extremely esteemed TBHP members. This is definitely not an activity in vain. I initiated this thread to create a platform for everyone to voice their views that i intend positively forwarding to the respected concerned people at MSIL with due credit going to Team BHP. Also would try seeking some feedback that I will come back with.
My endeavour would always be to try being a thread of communication between my brands and the consumers in whatever little way i can.
Thanks a lot
And special thanks to those who showed more interest in the purpose behind this thread than the content!
Long live Team BHP
Regards
Old 20th April 2008, 11:08   #35
BHPian

Happywheels, thanks for much support that i could manage to read between the lines!
I don't understand why all these questions being posed to me. I'm not faking anything out here. All know i'm handling Grand Vitara and WagonR as i have put in my introduction, so from where does the discussion start. Can not figure out. but thanks for now.

Phamilyman, we already have the information. from 'Newbie' forum ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...-team-bhp.html )

So she has told us what she does.

Now this one beats it! "Spreading knowledge" -

Kind of agree with you, Phamilyman. But it never hurts if ones voice is heard. But then if we know of how it will be used and who is the intended recipient, it will be great. If a feedback of mine, given in good faith, is used for commercial benefit by someone else, it is not fair! (I guess the real issue would be - Where is my cut! )[/quote]
Old 20th April 2008, 15:28   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
PS: Hub locks Juggu? It is a full-time 4x4.
my bad.. i had ol gypsy in the back of my mind someplace, i guess :P

So make the wish list selectable 4 wheel drive, for better FE and lesser wear and tear.
Old 20th April 2008, 22:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Why can't Maruti localize the GV? Why CBU? Also plonk a 1.9 DDiS. There you go. You have a serious Scorpio competitor
Good question. I was thinking the same way. I add - Why none of the companies - MISL,HMIL,Toyota Kirloskar, Mitubishi HM, Ford India or GM India try to plan for an India made SUV. I am sure they can deliver a Quality product to compete with M&M and Tata. There is a good market unfilled with a Quality product. Indianized release would certainly make an SUV less priced (atleast around 12K) and satisfy the Indian SUV fans.

BTW, nilanjanray..I appreciate your thoughts and Questions, it was in my mind for a long time. TBHP mods - are you approached by any companies by Indian can manufacturers, or atleast I beleive they study our posts(thoughts) to use it for their market research - of course, we are not representaing the entire car user community, but they get serious thoughts from car lovers.

A Quality SUV for the Indian market from some of the Multi national car manufacturers at an affordable price is something India deserves.! :-)

Last edited by agbenny : 20th April 2008 at 22:29.
Old 20th April 2008, 23:05   #38
Team-BHP Support

I have been trying to get a leather steering cover for GV since couple of months. The stock steering wheel is plain rubber, and I don't get a good grip with it. The Mangalore dealer tried to convince me that the stock wheel is leather, but I didn't buy that line.

After the local dealer gave up, I asked theMAG to get it through RNS in Bangalore. After 2-3 weeks of wait, even RNS is not able to procure it. Even art-leather one is not available.

If I can't get a steering cover for GV, I wonder what is the availability of other spares which may be more critical.
Old 20th April 2008, 23:19   #39
Team-BHP Support

Huh steering cover, Samu san just drive to local leather upholstery shop they will do the job in 30 mts. Can try Stanleys et all for real quality stuff also.

Steering wheel dia for swift and GV are they similar? asking since everybody talks about common parts bin thingie. If so then why is it so difficult to get a cover???
Old 20th April 2008, 23:25   #40
Team-BHP Support

Samu I'll try and find out if the g-sport guy here can make a leather cover for the cover and if someone else can stitch it on for you. They had excellent steering covers here.
Old 21st April 2008, 00:21   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Samu I'll try and find out if the g-sport guy here can make a leather cover for the cover and if someone else can stitch it on for you. They had excellent steering covers here.
Alright Vid, you are on. Let's see whether a DBHPian will succeed where two mods failed.
Old 21st April 2008, 00:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

My guy in Delhi can have a custom leather cover for your car's steering wheel & that also machine stitched. Outstanding quality since I got it done on my mother's Santro & the stitching & fitting was so taut & precise that in 3.5 years of service it gave us absolutely no trouble. The fitting & the leather remained as good as new when we sold the car.
Old 21st April 2008, 01:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

Apologies to radhika. Had read your other threads, but not the intro one!
Old 21st April 2008, 02:17   #44
BHPian

Diesel engine SUV with auto gear

I really wish for Diesel SUV with Auto/Tiptronic transmission priced below 20lac.
Old 21st April 2008, 16:18   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
My guy in Delhi can have a custom leather cover for your car's steering wheel & that also machine stitched. Outstanding quality since I got it done on my mother's Santro & the stitching & fitting was so taut & precise that in 3.5 years of service it gave us absolutely no trouble. The fitting & the leather remained as good as new when we sold the car.
The stitching has to be and can be done locally. But it is the leather cover they can't get. Let's see whether Vid can get it from the state capital, if not I have to move the request to the national capital.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks