Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2008, 16:54   #46
Senior - BHPian

@Samurai: doesn't the MGA leather steering wheel cover which I believe is available at all M.A.S.S. outlets fit GV's steering wheel ?
Old 21st April 2008, 17:04   #47
BHPian

Power Loss

Radhikadas

One of my friends GV was grounded for more than a week. He was faced with a problem of Power Loss when driving to such an extent that the car would barely move and the replacement part had to be ordered from Japan it seems. I dont have much details on this since he is out of country. Would update this thread with full details when he is back.

Best regards
Deepu
Old 21st April 2008, 17:05   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
@Samurai: doesn't the MGA leather steering wheel cover which I believe is available at all M.A.S.S. outlets fit GV's steering wheel ?
Aah! you hit upon the real problem here. There is nothing MGA about GV, they need to stock SGA to cover GV.
Old 21st April 2008, 17:23   #49
Senior - BHPian

hehe what I meant was that doesnt that cover fit GV? It looks like one size for all thing
Old 21st April 2008, 17:26   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
hehe what I meant was that doesnt that cover fit GV? It looks like one size for all thing
I too was under that impression, until they tried the MGA SX4 leather cover, it didn't fit.
Old 21st April 2008, 17:31   #51
Senior - BHPian

oh thats really bad. So a custom cover is the only option.
Old 21st April 2008, 18:05   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@Samurai

@All:
I have driven as on date 43892Kms on my GV and it is still couple of days short of nine months since I brought it. My take:
5. Cumulative average for all these kilometers is 9.8kpl. Innova / Tavera / Qualis whith their diesels also give ~10kpl. So at current prices I really do not find economy enough to justify 1~2 lacs extra price tag for a diesel (usual differential)
Hey these figures are good - I had gone to Maruti showroom and they mentioned the average was 5-6kmpl!!!!! Now that made it a really inappropriate alternative!

I would agree with GTO - spruce up the interiors, and you have a winner with 10kmpl - it makes sense

Also Radhika - you might want to know what dealers are telling prospects.

RD
Old 21st April 2008, 19:14   #53
BHPian

Sure most certainly. Let it all flow in...
Awaiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahuldeodhar
Also Radhika - you might want to know what dealers are telling prospects.

RD

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st April 2008 at 19:37. Reason: Completed quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 09:49   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADHIKADAS View Post
Awaiting
So now that we are onto dealers let me throw in my grouse. I went in for a Grand Vitara test drive to Pratham Motors in bangalore. After standing near it for 5 mins and trying to open the doors somebody came up and asked if they can help. I asked for a TD and they said the person for the GV is out and wont be in till next day (clearly shows he doesnt have any work). Asked for the contact number but after trying for 5 mins the persons came back and said they will contact us and took our mobile number.
There was no call for next 2 days, after which I decided to give a last try and called up pratham front desk. Again I was told they will call. The next day I got a call saying they will fix up a TD on the weekend as the car has gone out of town. On the weekend I got a call from the guy that it wont be possible this weekend as his boss has taken the car somewhere LOL. I was thoroughly enjoying this as till then I had no interest left in the car. After 8 days they were able to offer me a TD but only if I come down that day.
It seems noone is interested in the GV and the dealers care less about selling it than using it themselves while they can. Otherwise Pratham Motors had one of the best sales staff and services for all the other cars they sell(I bought my Swift from them).
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:24   #55
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pratham Motors GV test drive

I had a better experience - but had to follow up.

I called up their board line, and asked to speak to the person who deals with GV. They searched for him, but since he was away, they gave me his mobile no. I called him, and told him that I wanted a test drive. He said he was busy that day, but he said he will call me later in the week.

I didn't hear from him, and his number was busy, so called up board line again - said that I was waiting to hear from him - and that this (keeping me waiting) was unacceptable. He called back that day, and followed up with me regularly. He also picked me up promptly from my house for the TD. He seemed pretty responsive and nice (though prone to bull****ting a bit).

Learning: call before you land up at the showroom. I was planning to come down to the showroom once just like you - I am glad I didn't do so, because the guy was away, and not free that day (I called to check).

I think that they have only one - silver - GV (MT), and that is sent around the town (and perhaps outside town too) for test drives. And as you have mentioned, it could be used for other purposes also.
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:30   #56
Senior - BHPian

Re: non-availability of (or expensive) spares
@ Samurai: "If I can't get a steering cover for GV, I wonder what is the availability of other spares which may be more critical."

@ deepug: "One of my friends GV was grounded for more than a week. He was faced with a problem of Power Loss when driving to such an extent that the car would barely move and the replacement part had to be ordered from Japan it seems."

Cause of concern. When I talk to people about the GV, this is the issue they raise - "a low selling car that is fully imported - what will you do if you run into trouble and need parts/ spares?".

Samurai, Sudev: you must have discussed this issue before/when buying the car. What did the dealers (or Maruti) say?
Old 30th April 2008, 12:28   #57
Team-BHP Support

Here is a big gripe:

I just found that one of the tyre has a sidewall puncture. Ideally I want that tyre replaced. But GV comes with a non-standard tyre size of 225/70R16, not really available in India. So I can't get a replacement in a hurry. If I can't get a steering cover, can I get a tyre?

GV is delivered with different tyre options across the world, why can't Maruti insist that Suzuki delivering the GV with a tyre size that is common in India? If they did that, I could have easily upgraded the tyre upon delivery by swaping new H/T tyres for new A/T tyres. But now I am stuck with OE tyres which I can't exchange. In case of damage, I can't get an easy replacement either. Frankly I don't want to buy another OE H/T tyre when I eventually want to move over to A/T tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Samurai, Sudev: you must have discussed this issue before/when buying the car. What did the dealers (or Maruti) say?
They said they can get parts easily since it is officially being imported by Maruti, and they have sold a good number of GV. Anyway, they were just giving sales pitch. I don't think they really knew the issues.
Old 4th September 2008, 14:04   #58
GRV
BHPian

Hi Radhika

I am a bit late in this thread, but surely the current GV needs more power (I bought one in sep 2007)

Any idea when 2009 model will be launched in India. I am realy waiting for the new model specially with V6 engine. Hopefully Maruti will give some handsome deal to existing vitara owners

GRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADHIKADAS View Post
Awaiting
Old 5th September 2008, 01:01   #59
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2009 model GV

Same here..eagerly waiting for news about the 2009 version. The diesel one would be great too. I emailed Maruti, and got the standard reply that there is no official news about launch of the new GV. Wondered about the phrasing - "no official news".
Old 5th September 2008, 14:33   #60
GRV
BHPian

here is link to 2009 model details. I am sure if priced right the new vitara with improved power (now comparebale to CRV with 2.4 ltr engine) can get greater success in India . I just hope they do not downgrade engine power for the 2009 model. (Any way not sure if CRV can deliver same power in India as global level by using Indian fuel, why should maruti downrate engine power to adjust for fuel quality?

GRV

http://www.caradvice.com.au/15899/20...-grand-vitara/

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Same here..eagerly waiting for news about the 2009 version. The diesel one would be great too. I emailed Maruti, and got the standard reply that there is no official news about launch of the new GV. Wondered about the phrasing - "no official news".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks