Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2009, 18:23   #91
BHPian

Dudes,

I decided to replace my 2003 Corolla H2 (bought used a year and a half ago) and was almost done after I saw the Corolla Altis AT. Loved the car!!

Then a proper introspection of my needs let me to research SUV's.

I dont prefer American cars so that leaves Ford and Chevy out.

the CRV is out of my budget and Im not a fan of Hyundai. However, you are free to change my opinion.

That settled - it means i have the Grand Vitara, Safari and Scorpio.

Dont like Safari (have driven it!!) and no Scorpio - yeah im very fussy !

So decided its going to be GV since it fits my budget and is OK on the FE angle plus its Maruti's reliable service.

I landed in Nagpur (my business is based there) the day before Gudi Padwa and thought it will be a good option to take the evening off and TD a Vitara.

I went to the Seva showroom on Amravati Road and asked for a TD. The reception asked me to wait and went to speak to some senior.

The senior guy came back and told me that the GV is DISCONTINUED and PRODUCTION STOPPED and a new model is expected in May !!! As usual no idea on new features, date of launch or prices !!

I was utterly disappointed!! Especially i was almost decided on the car.

Hummph!!

Not going to be bogged down and especially since I hadnt heard anything on team-bhp about a new model during my research, I dialled the number of the second Maruti dealership in Nagpur. My EDGE phone helped here. Quickly googling i got Automotive's number and called them to ask them if the news was right.

Another shock!!!

The salesman said that its ridiculous and they had Vitara's in stock and would be more than willing to give me a TD provided i was there in 30 minutes as they were closing for the day. Not wanting to rush through the TD, I fixed up an appointment for the next day i.e. Gudi Padwa.

Next afternoon i was at the dealership and saw a shining silver Vitara parked on display. General checks and getting used to the drivers side etc continued and soon the TD vehicle arrived.

Although i needed an AT - this one was a MT and done 25000 kms.

I got in - and off we went.

The pick up seemed nice. From the looks i thought the steering was small but while driving it felt smooth. The gear changing was swift.

Although the vehicle rocked a bit on the uneven Nagpur - Kamptee highway - I quite enjoyed the ride. Im not a car crazy guy - dont know my hub caps from axle caps etc. But i decide my car from the feel I get while driving it and how much I enjoy the ride and the ambience and comfort of being inside one.

The Vitara gave me that. I have driven the CRV but like i said its out of my budget. Although the Vitara doesnt match up to the CRV in my terms but I aint ready to pay 6 - 7 L more for that.

Overall, I was satisfied with the feel and driving pleasure.

Some minor irritants were a less cooling AC (maybe it was the Nagpur heat!!) and rear seat comfort.

My business partners in the rear seats complained of the car being very jumpy and rocky and hence not comfortable. That is something I didnt cross check at that time but would need your opinion on this !!

I am still wondering about the other sales guy mentioning about the new model!! Dont know which one to trust. The one who mentioned about the new model OR the one who said theres no new model coming up.

When I asked him about the AT model availability - he said they would have to import one as theres no unit available in the Maruti pool !!!! He checked it online on his system!!

Can anyone confirm this?? Im ready to wait for a couple of months before going in !!

Any feedback on the rear seat riding??

I will try to get another TD in Mumbai since the Vitesse showroom is very close to my place. Will keep you guys posted !!!

Bye for now!!

Rgds
M-Oz
Old 30th March 2009, 10:20   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome another GV lover!?

My experience confirms that the suspension is stiff and hence rear seat comfort seems a bit jumpy but the same becomes an asset when tackling potholes and in off road driving. AT should also be available but as i mentioned a bit earlier (and sales guy confirms) there is no stock at MSIL. And the next lot is under import. expected by end April. New engine and new pricing. If you are picking up the current model then shop for discounts.
Old 30th March 2009, 11:14   #93
BHPian

Thank Sudev - Yes - Im on my way to become a GV fan !!

I wont be doing much off-roading however I hope that the GV changes me into one !

At the same time - you think the jumpiness will hamper the comfort of my two daughters (7 & 5yrs) who will be in the back seat on long drives out of Mumbai on clean highways!??

My kids love the GV too!
Old 30th March 2009, 12:15   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Nah....The slight harsher ride is like that of Qualis (if you have used one) with no weight on the rear. If the vehicle is loaded then it gives lovely ride. The plus factor is ample leg room and recline-able (and not just foldaway) rear seats. IAC on clean highways this would not be a issue.

Oh and once you have a GV you are more likely to take that off road short cut or a bad road just to explore.

A bit of advice (true for all MSIL vehicle) buy it in Delhi/Haryana and you will get much better pricing. Of course if out of state number is not a bother.
Old 30th March 2009, 12:57   #95
Senior - BHPian

GV is coming with a 2.4L VVT engine on may first week with 2393cc, power of 165hp@5000 rpm and 22.7 kgm of torque@3800 rpm.
Old 30th March 2009, 13:10   #96
BHPian

Any hints on pricing??

I checked with Vitesse - they still deny it !
Old 30th March 2009, 13:22   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
How about increasing the overall interior quality too? For starters, get rid of parts shared with the Swift / SX4.
I drive a swift and had taken my Friends GV for a weekend. The interior are no less than my Swift, i felt so homely inside GV as it looked similar like my swift interiors. For a premium car 15L+ atleast it should have leather inside and white back light for dials and info display.
Old 30th March 2009, 13:27   #98
BHPian

I totally agree - The GV interiors are a bit tacky for a 15L + car !

Maybe a sunroof too - my kids would love that!
Old 30th March 2009, 19:13   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
GV is coming with a 2.4L VVT engine on may first week with 2393cc, power of 165hp@5000 rpm and 22.7 kgm of torque@3800 rpm.
Well, since it's a CBU,why can't they consider importing the 1.9DDiS Diesel which they sell elsewhere too? It's priced at around 10% premium in some markets over the 2.4L petrol M/T. Priced right, and with MUL's network, it a Diesel GV might be a worthy competitor to everything else in the same price bracket.
Old 30th March 2009, 19:14   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: coming by april 10.
Old 30th March 2009, 19:43   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Personally I hate leather interiors and if you do go off roading you will appreciate why. Well you can ask for all the gizmos (a.k.a. sun roof et. el.) and look at northward pricing, but I'd rather the price is kept here.

Functional, reliable and capable is what my needs are from a GV. And they are met. We can keep asking for lower price but compare with pricing of Safari 4x4 add reliability add great MASS network. I think it is VFM.

If I wanted more capability and lower price I'd look at Gypsy the nimble goat and hugely capable.
Old 30th March 2009, 20:31   #102
BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: coming by april 10.
I doubt its that early - the dealers wouldnt deny something that is so close. Plus theres no news on any other website
Old 30th March 2009, 21:26   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Lovely!
And don't forget - rear disk brakes, little softened ride.
Also the 2.4L VVT is much much smoother and silent than the J20A (from the reviews on the net).

Now the GV should be great fun on the highway too!
Old 31st March 2009, 13:35   #104
BHPian

Hey guys,

Spoke to a senior guy at Vitesse - Maruti. He says no 2.4 L expected in Apr \ May.

The only thing is that they have completely sold out all the Vitaras imported in 2008 and the next lot is expected by May end or June 2009.

He says the Vitara was successfull in India only because of the pricing and hence he doesnt think MSIL will get the 2.4L here and have the pricing go up to 22 L +.

Also, the diesel version - if at all is in the offing - wouldnt happen till the year end.

So the new lot is only expected in May - June.

His argument was that if a new model was expected in May \ June, they would have already started taking bookings and advertising.

He has taken my number and will keep me posted for the arrival of the new lot since I would be going for the current version.

Maybe RadhikaDas can enlighten us a bit here!!!

But i still have to wait a couple of months :-(
Old 1st April 2009, 18:03   #105
BHPian

I have been delaying my SUV purchase. With a budget not exceeding 12 Lacs, I have very few options. Somehow everytime I convince myself for Safari, something or the other makes me think otherwise. I looked at Xenon, test drove it and liked it but again interior suck and no ABS/Airbag option. So once again I considered GV, which I love but am not convinced on power after two test drives. I spoke with Apra (Maruti's dealer in Gurgaon), they confirmed that New GV would be launched within this month (April 09) with revised price tag. He did hinted at 2.4 ltr engine with 5 speed Autobox! But again with new engine Maruti would foolishly raise the price tag :( I tried two dealers but none had a 2008 GV AT at discount.

So...I am back to square one....Safari or no Safari...or what?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks