Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2008, 16:09   #166
BHPian

Today I spotted a sky blue Linea on the way to office. First it didnt take my attention but sudennly I saw the wheels and the Fiat emblem and then I jumped up and saw the car. Looks fantastic specially in that blue, though I didnt like the alloys which was multi spoke one.
Old 5th July 2008, 18:50   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arajand View Post
Both the Fiesta and the Verna are mediocre cars. I see no reason why Fiat should try to learn from other cars like these.

By mediocre, I dont mean any 'uncomplimentary'. I only mean - a decent, middle-of-the-road car that gives VFM only.

And also, Fiat doesn't have bad A.S.S, Fiat has NO A.S.S. And Fiat car do not have costly spares. Its just that they are not available as easily (as Maruti).

I think there is great market potential for the Linea. It fits in the same perception space as the SX4.
I fully agree that Verna & Fiesta are mediocre cars (can't be compared with Linea), infact Linea's dimensions exceed that of Optra's ( which is very close to a D segment car) .
And i expect FIAT to launch 1.9 diesel heart to match Magnum.
Vernas & Fiestas watchout!
Old 7th July 2008, 11:50   #168
tez
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
The Linea appears to be a good car. Pricing depends on many things, ultimately success depends on many things. The problem for Fiat in India has been a halfhearted presence, poor and inadequate dealership networks, ineffective marketing and the result bad customer service and perception problems.
Agree with every word of it Raul. Lets wait and watch.
Old 7th July 2008, 12:04   #169
BHPian

A Good change for Fiat to re establish in India

The Fiat Liana spy pic in the latest issure (July) of Overdrive is very impressive. The fron looks like an Amby though the height is low. The rear is well desighed speciall the tail lights and bumpers which are integreated well. Now Fiat hast to be cautious and price it competitively, otherwise they are going to lose again. I think the correct price of the car could be around 7 to 8 lakhs.
Old 7th July 2008, 17:45   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, this site has one of the best reviews of the linea.... once you open the page, use the links at the top to navigate to the different sections.
Thanks, I had overlooked this..an outstanding review here. My only concern is that a 77 BHP car may be underpowered for a car of this size. We can only speculate , I guess.
Old 7th July 2008, 17:54   #171
tez
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
Thanks, I had overlooked this..an outstanding review here. My only concern is that a 77 BHP car may be underpowered for a car of this size. We can only speculate , I guess.
i tend to disagree sridhar. eg., Logan at around 68 bhp has a smooth ride due to linear torque delivery. So 77 could be good enough for a common car buyer. This is unless you are looking for hard core performance car
Old 7th July 2008, 19:56   #172
BHPian

Quote:
I think the Linea will be having a 90+ bhp VGT version of 1.3 MJD. which will surely be enough for a spirited highway driving. (Remembering the feeling when I first drove the Stile MJD)
Old 7th July 2008, 20:23   #173
BHPian

Better for Car market

o so well but now this one gives looks of Verna when looked upon Headlamps and grill... otherwise looks smooth on back and overall.
Thanks.
Old 8th July 2008, 10:21   #174
BHPian

Quote:
I believe the Linea is supposed to be powered by a VGT version of the 1.3 multijet turbo, this engine should generate around 90Bhp of power and ample torque, this should be quite sufficient for a day to day user.
Old 8th July 2008, 10:24   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Logan at around 68 bhp has a smooth ride due to linear torque delivery. So 77 could be good enough for a common car buyer
yes you have a point. I had the NHC in mind when I wrote this, where the idsi engine delivers 77 BHP which , btw, is good enough for city driving. The review mentions that Fiat Linea will deliver good fuel efficiency, so i was wondering whether this will go the NHC way.
Quote:
I think the Linea will be having a 90+ bhp VGT version of 1.3 MJD. which will surely be enough for a spirited highway driving. (Remembering the feeling when I first drove the Stile MJD)
Yeah, I hope so, too! This will definitely be under consideration for me.
Old 8th July 2008, 10:36   #176
JRD
BHPian

cant wait till this one is launched.. were u able to figure out what kind of engine it had, tdi or petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
23-Apr-2008, 10:05AM, Hosur, on the GQ

I was on my bike from hosur(just inside TamilNadu) towards Electronic City - bangalore.!! It was one of those 'dreaded 'boring "Drive thru Work in Progress" roads until this happened.

2 Car Convoy, No badging about engine specs or fuel type, Just a BIG fiat logo with the Stylish Linea Badge. Driver wasnt happy the 1st time he saw me with the mobile chasing him, but I knew the sweet bottle necks than him. So let him fly a few times, I caught up with him eventually and managed to take the front view.

Ps - IMO the dash was funny like a tortoise shell, but again it was only a "passing" thought, I did not have the right angle to click it or even see it properly. Sorry for the low Res', got a simple cam phone.
Old 8th July 2008, 13:31   #177
BHPian

Heard Hormazd Sorabjee hint at a September launch of Linea and January-09 launch for the Grande Punto.
And the C segment killer the new Honda City expected to hit the roads in November.
Old 9th July 2008, 12:50   #178
Senior - BHPian

Yet another article on Linea about sept '08 Launch. The article mentioned
that Fiat is targetting Linea to be most fuel efficient in its class with the 1.3 MJD 95 Bhp.

Link :-
The Hindu Business Line : Fiat 500 to be launched this month

The link also mentions Punto launch in Dec!

Old 9th July 2008, 12:55   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With seven variants in diesel and petrol, Palio sells around 600 units a month.We are selling as much as we produce. We are increasing our production to meet the market demand,” said the spokesperson of Fiat India.
If the Hindu has correctly quoted the Fiat spokesperson then the spokesperson has a very good sense of humor!

Quote:
Meanwhile, the company is still pinning its hope on Palio to establish itself as a volume player in the Indian market.
When will Fiat realise that is not going to make them a volume player? Only way out is to stop the Palio, replace it with a new product (Panda/Idea) and relaunch the all new Palio in 2010-11 with a new name.

Last edited by amit : 9th July 2008 at 12:58.
Old 9th July 2008, 14:03   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Yet another article on Linea about sept '08 Launch. The article mentioned
that Fiat is targetting Linea to be most fuel efficient in its class with the 1.3 MJD 95 Bhp.

Link :-
The Hindu Business Line : Fiat 500 to be launched this month

The link also mentions Punto launch in Dec!
I doubt if it will be really 95bhp as it is 90bhp everywhere else. If it is really true, well good for the customers, who have been trying to convince themselves with 90bhp.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed