Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2008, 13:36   #271
BHPian

Spotted five Lineas today in the funky Zebra dressing at Aditya Birla hospital today. Did not have a camera with me -- so no snaps from my end.
Old 20th August 2008, 14:35   #272
Senior - BHPian

last sunday i think i saw two GP being tested, they were camouflaged and going pretty fast on the opposite lane so cudn't take any pictures but i guess they were grande puntos, by looking at the entire car shape and headlamp shape.
Old 20th August 2008, 14:36   #273
BHPian

august issue of what car says that the linea will come with 1.8 petrol developing 140bhp and 1.9 mjd developing 150 bhp
auto bild says that 1.4 petrol with 78 bhp and 1.3 mjd with 90bhp

dunno wot really we have in store from the linea
Old 21st August 2008, 00:06   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
august issue of what car says that the linea will come with 1.8 petrol developing 140bhp and 1.9 mjd developing 150 bhp

don't tell me all the hypes about a 90bhp diesel or worse still 78bhp petrol
Old 21st August 2008, 00:14   #275
BHPian

Is "car" a magazine ? Sorry for my ignorance here. However, in Germany, since you are referring to Autobild, the Linea does not come with a 1.9 mjd 150 bhp engine, it only comes with a 1.3 mjd 90 bhp and having 2 petrol versions at 78 and 120 bhp respectively if I recall correctly. The 1.9 mjd 150 bhp only comes on Bravo with the GP having a 120bhp version.

Quote:

Old 21st August 2008, 09:24   #276
BHPian

well i was just putting forth the difeerences in the two magazines.
actually its "what car" and not just "car"
Old 21st August 2008, 10:03   #277
Senior - BHPian

Interestingly enough, Linea in Brazil will be launched with 1.4 Turbo Petrol in the 150 bhp tune, not 120 bhp tune. Looks like one powerful car! There is a thread going on in the Forum section of ::ITALIASPEED:: which details this. Linea will be launched in Brazil on Sep 15th according to that thread.

From what we know at tbhp, 1.4 petrol with bhp NA and 1.3 JTD with 90 bhp are confirmed for India as of now. I do not know about the statements various car magazines seem to be providing.
Old 21st August 2008, 10:10   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Linea in Brazil will be launched with 1.4 Turbo Petrol in the 150 bhp tune, not 120 bhp tune. Looks like one powerful car!
Is the fuel quality in Brazil that much better then in India? If not, then, apart from cost, there is no other reason why the Linea T-Jet should not be avaliable in India.
Old 22nd August 2008, 21:36   #279
BHPian

Quote:

I think the folks at What Car Magazine (a sister concern of Autocar India) surely do not like to update their database.

On Page 43 of their February’2008 issue they had mentioned that the Petrol version of the Fiat Linea set to hit our showrooms in September’2008 will be powered by either a 1.6 litre 110bhp or a 1.8 litre 129bhp engine and the Diesel engine would be a 1.9 litre 140bhp. Initially I had thought it must have been a mistake through oversight but once again in their March’2008 issue on Page 90 they have the ditto information on the Fiat Linea engines albeit minus the 1.8 litre 129bhp petrol engine. Add to that the (presumable) error made once again in the Aug'2008 issue... unless they know something even the folks at FIAT India are unaware about…

Personally, I would love the Linea to have a (Petrol) 1.6 litre 110bhp engine given the size of the car but this does evoke a bit of fear - that being - to make the car more competitive price wise (read cheaper) they should not stick the Linea with an old engine, perhaps something they used on their earlier models like the Sienna, Petra etc. ;else common sense tells you that the engine would be the ones used internationally - 1.4 Fire (77bHp) & 1.4 16 V T-Jet (120bHp) [Petrol], Multijet 90bHp [Diesel].

Fingers crossed on that one as I would be delighted if they can offer us a FULLY LOADED Linea as depicted on their Website for around 9 lacs. My general idea of a fully loaded Linea would be the Emotion version that has at least the following amongst others (something that FIAT offers on the Linea Emotion sold elsewhere) - six air bags and fog lights with automatic air conditioning, electrical lumbar adjustment for the driver seat, front and rear armrests, leather covered steering wheel and gear shift, Mp3 player with the new Blue&Me system, parking and rain sensors plus alloy wheels. Active safety features like ABS with EBD, ESP, ASR, MSR and Hillholder-HBA along with the passive safety features like Air-Bag Smart2 System, Side and Roof air bags, Front racked seat belts and Inertia Sensor (FPS) and all the accessory options like Chrome cowls for wing mirrors, Chrome handles, Chrome window rims, Front Deflectors, Steel Kick Plate, Aluminum pedal covers and footrest, Carpet mats, Aluminum plates and Window Winders.

An option available on the country specific Websites (Go to Fiat.it - Starting Page, choose the Linea and then the country specific Website) where the Linea is already available, allows you to configure your Linea and a fully loaded one works out to around Rs.11,25,000/-. All the ten countries where the Linea is currently available are European countries so I hope the funda behind the price is only because it being European with higher cost of living and hence higher prices. If an identical fully loaded costs me any more than say Rs.9 lacs – I know I will look at other options.

On paper the fully loaded Linea is an awesome buy – Civic / Corolla dimensions at City / Vios prices, good looking and just look at the features offered as mentioned above but Fiat or at least Fiat India do have to prove themselves – Tata Motors alliance or not. People might fancy the Linea at an “attractive” price or else play it safe with the new Honda City, which I am sure will be bigger, better and meaner than the City it replaces. In the same breath I would also like to add that if priced correctly and with all the features, in one swift stroke Fiat can completely wipe out the competition and perhaps get all their previous misdemeanors forgiven and forgotten. Linea has the capability to attract customers that could be opting for either a City or a Civic sized car. I am a huge Fiat fan and the desire to own a Linea has been burning from the day I saw her on the cover of the Autocar India Nov’2006 issue but I also value my hard earned money. If Fiat India shortchanges the Indian consumer on quality, features, service etc., I think we all should collectively boycott them. The ball is clearly in their court now…

Visit - Fiat Linea - for complete (official and dependable) details on the Linea. Also check the attached PDF file for technical specifications on the Linea variants.

I think the Brazilian Linea might be with a more powerful engine perhaps because they use Ethanol blended fuel.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Linea_Specs.pdf (1.88 MB, 2739 views)
Old 23rd August 2008, 13:27   #280
BHPian

If you would like to download the advertisement doing the rounds on our television screens at the moment then here is the link.

The file is a Shockwave Flash Object file and if it doesn’t run on your computer you could download a freeware program called Irfan View along with it’s plug-ins to watch it. Download Irfan View from here. And the plug-ins from here. I am unsure whether the plug-ins are actually required for a .swf file to function but I have included the link just in case.

The advert is essentially to promote the recently (in India) launched FIAT 500 but as it shows glimpses of the Linea and the Grande Punto amongst others – it might interest Linea and FIAT enthusiasts.

ENJOY!!!
Old 24th August 2008, 15:34   #281
Senior - BHPian

[quote=deepakhon;946979]Interestingly enough, Linea in Brazil will be launched with 1.4 Turbo Petrol in the 150 bhp tune, not 120 bhp tune. Looks like one powerful car! There is a thread going on in the Forum section of ::ITALIASPEED:: which details this. Linea will be launched in Brazil on Sep 15th according to that thread.
QUOTE]

a small correction here. Linea will be launched in Brazil with a 1.4 T 155 bhp and 1.9 na petrol with 128 b bhp.
Old 24th August 2008, 21:37   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
Fingers crossed on that one as I would be delighted if they can offer us a FULLY LOADED Linea as depicted on their Website for around 9 lacs. My general idea of a fully loaded Linea would be the Emotion version that has at least the following amongst others (something that FIAT offers on the Linea Emotion sold elsewhere) - six air bags and fog lights with automatic air conditioning, electrical lumbar adjustment for the driver seat, front and rear armrests, leather covered steering wheel and gear shift, Mp3 player with the new Blue&Me system, parking and rain sensors plus alloy wheels. Active safety features like ABS with EBD, ESP, ASR, MSR and Hillholder-HBA along with the passive safety features like Air-Bag Smart2 System, Side and Roof air bags, Front racked seat belts and Inertia Sensor (FPS) and all the accessory options like Chrome cowls for wing mirrors, Chrome handles, Chrome window rims, Front Deflectors, Steel Kick Plate, Aluminum pedal covers and footrest, Carpet mats, Aluminum plates and Window Winders.

An option available on the country specific Websites (Go to Fiat.it - Starting Page, choose the Linea and then the country specific Website) where the Linea is already available, allows you to configure your Linea and a fully loaded one works out to around Rs.11,25,000/-. All the ten countries where the Linea is currently available are European countries so I hope the funda behind the price is only because it being European with higher cost of living and hence higher prices. If an identical fully loaded costs me any more than say Rs.9 lacs – I know I will look at other options.

On paper the fully loaded Linea is an awesome buy – Civic / Corolla dimensions at City / Vios prices

Freddie, I really hope you are right but I also really don't think it will happen. There is no way Fiat can give all that at that price and still make money. And even though they need to make a good impression on the Indian customer I don't think they will do it by consciously losing money on every Linea sold.
Personally, it's a car in the Civic/Corolla category and I think it will be priced as such. The ace up its sleeve will be a diesel option compared with the Jap cars.
Old 25th August 2008, 14:59   #283
Senior - BHPian

Sep is just around the corner, and i am beginning to get impatient Everyone talks of a Linea launch in Sep - but so far we have no "official" clue on the pricing or launch. FIAT - give us a sign!
Old 25th August 2008, 15:16   #284
Senior - BHPian

There is a post in PUG by a member called Vinay who has met one of the top officials from Fiat India and according to him, Linea will be soft-launched probably in Delhi by Fiat's CEO either on Sep 4th or 5th and the commercial launch will happen a month later. The member also goes on to say that it will be priced in the Honda City range (not sure whether it is in NHC or NNHC range). No further details on the specific engine options are provided.
Old 25th August 2008, 15:21   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Sep is just around the corner, and i am beginning to get impatient Everyone talks of a Linea launch in Sep - but so far we have no "official" clue on the pricing or launch. FIAT - give us a sign!
Patience my friend. A lotta rumours doing the rounds about Sept 4th or 5th launch. No official confirmation yet. Fiat Wakey Wakey!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks