Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2008, 12:55   #61
BHPian

The key point is not Hyundai promoting these silly mileage runs to beat Ford & M-Renault; its against all three of them indulging in gimmicks which intentionally mislead potential buyers! We have equally lambasted the other two runs too. The sad part is, car magazines which are supposed to be on the consumers side show their true colours by blatantly supporting the manufacturers instead.

Such mileage runs are akin to a Maruti 800 touching 200 kph on a downhill slope, and then being advertised as India's fastest hatchback.
Old 1st May 2008, 13:30   #62
BHPian

Have read about Hypermiling in the US. Those guys get unbelievable results like these, but their methods are quite extreme.
Some of them involve shutting off their engine, slipping into neutral while drafting semi's and big rigs.....
But, I dont think any of them shut down their AC
Old 1st May 2008, 14:15   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
In November 2005, I decided to see how fuel efficient my car can be. I drove extremely carefully, was very gentle with the accelerator, very sparing on the clutch and brakes, upshifted the Maruti way (2-3-4-5 at 10-20-30-40) and never exceeded 40 kph. With A/C on, I got a mileage of 16.47 kpl in the city with A/C on (between 2 tankfuls, 373 km took 22.65 litres).
I am inspired.

My wagon R needs a fuel up and I am going to try driving like this for atleast 200 kms before I fill her up again.

Let me see, what figures I might end up getting.

However I will not drive at 40 kmph as I think 5th gear at 60kmph is the better bet.

Anyone else planning to try this on thier cars may well do so, we might have the beginings of a fine thread coming up.
Old 1st May 2008, 14:32   #64
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I am inspired.

My wagon R needs a fuel up and I am going to try driving like this for atleast 200 kms before I fill her up again.

Let me see, what figures I might end up getting.

However I will not drive at 40 kmph as I think 5th gear at 60kmph is the better bet.

Anyone else planning to try this on thier cars may well do so, we might have the beginings of a fine thread coming up.
I tried on my WagonR ... Chandigarh to Delhi @ 80km/h .. 50% ac (it was hot!!)... got 18.5km/l....

it was the most boring drive of my life!.... won't drive like that again.. even if I was to get 35km/l
Old 1st May 2008, 14:38   #65
Team-BHP Support

There are 6 different routes I take to get to my office depending on my mood.
The shortest takes me 12.5 kms and the longest about 15 kms.

I intend to do this test over next week in city driving conditions. The keyword here is city driving conditions.

I have once managed a return of about 17.9 kmpl driving on a highway.
Speed was under a 100 and usually hovered around 75 to 85 as the highway was not worth anything more.

I have gone OT, sorry. Will update after I do this trial run.
Old 1st May 2008, 15:19   #66
BHPian

King of the Hypermilers (US)? - You guys decide
Old 2nd May 2008, 13:08   #67
Team-BHP Support

Luck seems to be smiling on me.

am almost set for a 600 kms trip over the weekend.

am gonna keep the pedal easy and check out if I can beat my prev best of 17.9 kmpl.
The problem is gonna be this heat.
Never get good milage in the heat.
Old 2nd May 2008, 13:58   #68
Senior - BHPian

Im afraid we'll all be using hypermiling tatics out of necessity in a couple of years if oil keeps going the way it is. Now that are well and truly over $100 a barrel, people are talking $200!
Old 2nd May 2008, 15:29   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Utter Crap. Its a pity that there will be people whose buying decision will be influenced by this.
the same the the fiesta claims to have been the most fuel efficient car (or somethig to that effect!) they had some figures in the same range right?

Yes - people's decisions do get influenced by these "promos".

Driving methods are key to extracting a greater mileage. my mileage shot up drastically last week, when i was driving to my office at 7am (sans a/c and traffic) in 5th at most times, and not pushing RPM over 3000. Similarly - on my return - did the same. except o- i was driving back after 10pm. should have done the tank full to tank full - but my Rs 1000 that i filled in lasted me more than the 3 dyas it usually does.

Last edited by madan80 : 2nd May 2008 at 15:33.
Old 2nd May 2008, 15:32   #70
BHPian

Check this report in TOI today

"Auto company told to pay for false claim

New Delhi: Auto giant Bajaj Auto has landed in trouble for its “misleading and deceptive” ads as a consumer court has asked it to compensate a scooter owner who was lured into buying the vehicle due to the company’s alleged false claims on its mileage.
“We have taken a view that whenever any (vehicle) manufacturer sells his goods by claiming an average of 70 km, it has to keep in mind the consumers or the area they are targeting,” commission president Justice J D Kapoor said.
“If they (manufacturers) know that the road conditions are not ideal, they should not make such claims as it is “misleading, alluring, deceptive and unfair,” the commission said.
Holding the auto-major guilty of causing “mental agony and harassment,” Justice Kapoor directed the company to pay Rs 15,000 to city resident Karan Pal Singh, whose four-stroke scooter gave him an average of 34 km a litre as compared to the company’s claims of 74.
“We have come across a large number of cases where false and tall claims are made by the manufacturers on the average of the vehicle and thereby the poor gullible consumers are prompted to purchase the vehicles,” it said.
The district forum had sent Singh’s scooter to Automobile Association of Upper India which found its mileage to be 44 km a litre. AGENCIES"
Old 2nd May 2008, 17:24   #71
BHPian

Wont this kind of advertising hurt companies more than they help them. Consider the following two cases where a customer purchases Verna

1. Customer A reads the mileage adverts and gets baised into buying thier car. After buying the car, even if it returns 20kmpl he will still complain to the company that he is getting a low mileage. Also potentially he will spread negative feed back about the product.

2. Customer B just likes the car may be for its looks or features or both. After buying the car if it returns 12kmpl i am sure he will be ok with it, if not happy.

I think this kind of advertising hurts more than it helps, if companies dont make it very clear that it is only under test conditions.
Old 2nd May 2008, 18:37   #72
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
Check this report in TOI today

"Auto company told to pay for false claim

New Delhi: Auto giant Bajaj Auto has landed in trouble for its “misleading and deceptive” ads as a consumer court has asked it to compensate a scooter owner who was lured into buying the vehicle due to the company’s alleged false claims on its mileage.
“We have taken a view that whenever any (vehicle) manufacturer sells his goods by claiming an average of 70 km, it has to keep in mind the consumers or the area they are targeting,” commission president Justice J D Kapoor said.
“If they (manufacturers) know that the road conditions are not ideal, they should not make such claims as it is “misleading, alluring, deceptive and unfair,” the commission said.
Holding the auto-major guilty of causing “mental agony and harassment,” Justice Kapoor directed the company to pay Rs 15,000 to city resident Karan Pal Singh, whose four-stroke scooter gave him an average of 34 km a litre as compared to the company’s claims of 74.
“We have come across a large number of cases where false and tall claims are made by the manufacturers on the average of the vehicle and thereby the poor gullible consumers are prompted to purchase the vehicles,” it said.
The district forum had sent Singh’s scooter to Automobile Association of Upper India which found its mileage to be 44 km a litre. AGENCIES"
Wonderfull.

Now is the good time for verna owners to find a tort lawyer and claim damages from hyundai. Ditto for fiesta owners. I remember even renault did something similar, so there is some money to be made there as well for logan owners.

Has hyundai revealed any FE figures for santro as well?
Old 2nd May 2008, 18:39   #73
BANNED

Santrowale get pundra se bhi zyada mileage .
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
Has hyundai revealed any FE figures for santro as well?
Old 2nd May 2008, 18:55   #74
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Santrowale get pundra se bhi zyada mileage .
Link pls...need that documented before santro waale contact a lawyer.
Old 5th May 2008, 17:31   #75
Senior - BHPian

My Indica gives 20 kmpl regularly, occasionally records 22 kmpl, without AC on with normal, highway driving. In city too, it doesnt get much below 18 kmpl.

Most Viewed