Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2008, 12:19   #46
BANNED

It is simply a pointer to what can be achieved if you are careful.

In November 2005, I decided to see how fuel efficient my car can be. I drove extremely carefully, was very gentle with the accelerator, very sparing on the clutch and brakes, upshifted the Maruti way (2-3-4-5 at 10-20-30-40) and never exceeded 40 kph. With A/C on, I got a mileage of 16.47 kpl in the city with A/C on (between 2 tankfuls, 373 km took 22.65 litres).

I have never driven that way again but it gave me a pointer to what is possible. But without providing the conditions or my driving style, if I claim an Indica V2 LSi gives 16 kpl in the city with A/C, I may not believe myself!

Last edited by hrag : 30th April 2008 at 12:20.
Old 30th April 2008, 12:23   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
I agree. My mom gets 17 kmpl in the city with normal driving in her M800. Have heard that it can give even 20 kmpl in the city.

Last edited by Proxima : 30th April 2008 at 12:26.
Old 30th April 2008, 12:28   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

You know I have a Verna CRDi that has never given anything more than 14kmpl on great days. As an owner, frankly I find such articles misleading and annoying.
Old 30th April 2008, 12:34   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
I agree. My mom gets 17 kmpl in the city with normal driving in her M800. Have heard that it can give even 20 kmpl in the city.
Maruti 800 generally gives 18-20 in the city; however you drive; if you take it easy it will exceed 20 too.
Old 30th April 2008, 18:03   #50
BHPian

Wow thats a wonderful news no matter how rubbish. I always knew it was coming soon after I read Fiesta's mileage record at 33 plus kmpl. I have till date got best of 17 and worst of 12 kmpl ( tank full to tank full) in commute.

12 kmpl I got in Mumbai - Pune run where I averaged at 100kmph( managed 106 kms in 1hr 5 mins) and was peaking at 195kmph (speedo reading) and have no regrets as it was a fun drive and as many as 3 times.

KMPL not withstanding, Verna VGT is fun car and I like it.
Old 30th April 2008, 18:19   #51
BHPian

I also feel there is something wrong with such readings is it really true.
Old 30th April 2008, 18:24   #52
Senior - BHPian

my 800 never returned more than 14.

if crap like verna returns 42+ why is many company spending millions on hybrid and stuff.
Old 1st May 2008, 08:34   #53
BHPian

come on guys!! it was just a marketing stretegy. Hyundai is using the same stretegy used by Mahindra for Mahindra Logan and Ford for Ford Fiesta.

Logan Returning 35 kmpl and Ford Fiesta around 33 kmpl registering themselves in limca book of records.

Nobody will run their cars under conditions in which these cars ran i.e verna, fiesta and logan.

lol Hyundai is learning a bit how to exploit indian market with such stunts. I remember few of my friends were in the favour of logan being widest and have the biggest boot space with superb mileage of 35 kmpl. That's really stupid of buying logan because company claimed 35 kmpl. I told them that they were under specific conditions. They said company is not a fool and spent millions of $ for their research. 2 of them bought it and they are not getting more than 17-18 kmpl haha and then i always use to tease them how is your 35 kmpl car going? haha

It can be possible, we don't know under what conditions. may be downslope. I remember jaipur highway there are uphill and downhills.

Few of you are saying its downhill. Man if one way is a downhill then returning way will be a uphill.

Car was not accelerating and it was moving constantly. at such low speeds 110 hp wont do anything man. Just think of the power used at 30 kmph will be minor. Same with Logan almost same torque can be used to move that car and same with fiesta.

They just used the torque band properly. Me myself use my car's torque band properly, that's how i'm achieving good mileage in the cities.

Honda City is generating good torque thats why their mileage is good being 1.5 L engine. Just the game of Torque band guys.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited by Gangsta : 1st May 2008 at 08:41.
Old 1st May 2008, 08:47   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post

In November 2005, I decided to see how fuel efficient my car can be. I drove extremely carefully, was very gentle with the accelerator, very sparing on the clutch and brakes, upshifted the Maruti way (2-3-4-5 at 10-20-30-40) and never exceeded 40 kph. With A/C on, I got a mileage of 16.47 kpl in the city with A/C on (between 2 tankfuls, 373 km took 22.65 litres).

I have never driven that way again but it gave me a pointer to what is possible. But without providing the conditions or my driving style, if I claim an Indica V2 LSi gives 16 kpl in the city with A/C, I may not believe myself!
Come on man gets this upshift is the perfect one. I use same upshifts in my accent and wagon R and getting very good results in wagon R, bolting 18-19 kmpl but i have a habit to change my routes if i see some jams and run cont. and its very rare that i'm stuck in the jams. This may be the reason that i'm getting more mileage in Wagon R than you. hehe
Old 1st May 2008, 09:02   #55
Senior - BHPian

Why is Hundai having to stoop so low to play such cheap gimmicks? Verna is doing fine. Or is it feeling the heat from lower segment cars like Dzire?

Verna is a preformance diesel and performance cars are not known for their mileage. Hyundai might have pulled it off under some test conditions which will be impossible to replicate under normal driving conditions. They know it pretty well too, so why play these cheap tricks? If less performance diesels like Indigo, Logan and Dzire are put through same test conditions as Hyundia put their Verna through, they would return at least 75 kmpl. But such Utopian driving conditions do not exist.

What next? Hyundai would probably claim next that their Verna achieved 800 kph speed record. If they can jack up 10 kpl average to 42 kpl ( 4 times up ) then they might as well take 200 kph top speed up to 800 kph.

Auto magazines will have a field day over this, filling pages after pages with this trash. To think of some one who might fall for this trick! But then again, there is no dearth of suckers in this world.
Old 1st May 2008, 11:48   #56
Senior - BHPian

Mods Kindly merge this thread with THE OFFICIAL JOKE THREAD !
Old 1st May 2008, 12:02   #57
Senior - BHPian

I think this is absolutely rubbish and is done for publicity as one of my friend owning the same claims its around 13KMPL ..and its a joke to say the least
Old 1st May 2008, 12:07   #58
Senior - BHPian

My friends Verna has given him 18 - 20 kpl constantly with mixed driving of city & highways. Its been like this for the last 8 months now.

So if they can do double in Controlled Conditions - then why not !! As someone said they had to better Ford & Logan after all.

Now when do we see a Swift Diesel doing 50 kpl
Old 1st May 2008, 12:16   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
So if they can do double in Controlled Conditions - then why not !! As someone said they had to better Ford & Logan after all.

Now when do we see a Swift Diesel doing 50 kpl
Not before my Ikon 1.6 starts moving with just the sight of fuel station

These are all marketing gimmics, Hyundai had to come out with some mileage topping report after Ford came twice for Fiesta. Companies not only in the automobiles, but in other fields also do this. I know of many medicines which are launched after some time again & again with new names & a slight change of ingridients just to compete the better doing ones.
Old 1st May 2008, 12:24   #60
BHPian

I am sure these figures can be achived only by pushing the car after refuling in reality.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks