Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2008, 17:35   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, they are based on the same platform. Avanza looks much smaller than Innova. NVX is also supposed to be based on the same platform as that of Innova. I think they will be like SX4 and Dezire, based on the same platform but for different market segments.
The Avanza is not "built" like an Innova and so I don't think they share a platform. Infact the Avanza was developed between Daihatsu and Toyota Indonesia and is called Under-IMV or U-IMV , worldwide it runs "small car" engines between 1.3L and 1.5L.

My take on this is to expect a MUV which looks like the Hilux
Old 3rd May 2008, 22:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
The Avanza is not "built" like an Innova and so I don't think they share a platform. Infact the Avanza was developed between Daihatsu and Toyota Indonesia and is called Under-IMV or U-IMV , worldwide it runs "small car" engines between 1.3L and 1.5L.

I think when Sumo Grande has opened up a new segment in 6.5 to 7.5 lacs and Ingenio is going to sit right there so Toyota cant stay away .... I am sure its Avanza which is a MPV to create an excitement in this new price segment coming up .....
Old 3rd May 2008, 22:50   #18
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santy View Post
I think when Sumo Grande has opened up a new segment in 6.5 to 7.5 lacs and Ingenio is going to sit right there so Toyota cant stay away .... I am sure its Avanza which is a MPV to create an excitement in this new price segment coming up .....
Dont really agree there. Bolero/Sumo segment always existed and toyota ignored this segment (like almost every other segments).just imagine, worlds biggest manufacturer selling only 2 worthwhile models in india.

Now, the elephant has started to move so its thinking of a small car, small MUV segment and a true blue SUV.
Old 4th May 2008, 05:19   #19
BHPian

If it is on IMV platform like innova, why not a brand new model for india specific? Avanza is a Daihatsu product and it is not capable for a 2.5 ltr heart! I believe, this can be a brand new model on this platform made/designed in India to try how it works. This may be the first of Toyota's attempt to make India a more reasonable production/design hub and exploit the abundant skills available here.
Old 4th May 2008, 07:42   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
tsk1979 : Qualis costs more to produce than the innova.
@tsk, why do you say this ?

Re-introducing the Innova would be like taking two steps back. Why would Toyota (or any one) want to do that ?
Old 4th May 2008, 19:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Re-introducing the Innova would be like taking two steps back. Why would Toyota (or any one) want to do that ?

you mean qualis?right
Old 8th May 2008, 05:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post

So Avanza falls under the same segment of Maruti Versa, but of course a better looking one
Old 8th May 2008, 06:15   #23

Qualis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
So Avanza falls under the same segment of Maruti Versa, but of course a better looking one
The real reason for discontinuing the Qualis model was not because it occupied the The Taxi segment, its because the DIE which is used for converting the Blank Steel into appropriate form called Stampings wears out after a period. the reason for phasing out was the DIE's life time had ended in Indonesia and Toyota had other plans replacing the DIE. so we can see it making a comeback..depends on Toyota's Strategy!!!
Old 8th May 2008, 08:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

actually innova has created a new segment of its own,and is now catering to a relatively higher segment of the market which the qualis couldnt

there are two types of cabs 1>intercity 2>intracity
now the intracity cabs are all being replaced by the innova
its only the intercity where the qualis was doing well because it was cheaper
Old 8th May 2008, 11:31   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The Innova is currently sold in several countries world-wide and enjoys certain economies of scale (parts etc.). The Qualis didn't enjoy that position, being an outdated product manufactured in only a market or two, and thus was more expensive to produce (old dies etc.).

[/quote]Re-introducing the Innova (Qualis?) would be like taking two steps back. Why would Toyota (or any one) want to do that ?[/quote]

Nope, you got my statement wrong. I wasn't referring to relaunching the Qualis. What I meant was a suitable MUV for the 5.5 - 6.5 lakh price band...an MUV which is a segment lower than the Innova, to address the void created by the Qualis' departure in the taxi / commercial segment.
Old 8th May 2008, 17:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBV View Post
[FONT=Arial]But the Deputy Managing Director of Toyota Kirloskar, Mr K.K. Swamy, said he was not aware of any such plan.[/FONT]
So is it a Rumour? Or Toyota charmain is working on a highly secrete product which even his Dy MD should not know.:-)

Last edited by agbenny : 8th May 2008 at 17:53.
Old 8th May 2008, 18:50   #27
BHPian

I got to meet a Jap who is incharge of Toyota Asia-Pacific. He told me that apart from Carolla Altis and a new variant of Innova, there are no other launches this year in India.
Old 8th May 2008, 20:48   #28
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
So is it a Rumour? Or Toyota charmain is working on a highly secrete product which even his Dy MD should not know.:-)
Could be. But it could also be a CYA strategy. My hunch is that since it was reported by the sister newspaper of The Hindu, it could atleast be partially true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Square View Post
I got to meet a Jap who is incharge of Toyota Asia-Pacific. He told me that apart from Carolla Altis and a new variant of Innova, there are no other launches this year in India.
Rough Square, would this mean that we can rule out the vehicle under discussion as not a variant of innova?

Last edited by VBV : 8th May 2008 at 20:51.
Old 12th May 2008, 22:10   #29
BHPian

I do not know for sure whether the new variant of Innova would be as different as the Santro and the Santro Xing.

But I should expect it to be on the lines of Qualis and Qualis Mist/Anniversary - a new color option, some tit-bits here and there.
Old 13th May 2008, 01:08   #30
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Square View Post
I do not know for sure whether the new variant of Innova would be as different as the Santro and the Santro Xing.

But I should expect it to be on the lines of Qualis and Qualis Mist/Anniversary - a new color option, some tit-bits here and there.
did the jap mention when is the new variant expected?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks