Old 30th April 2008, 18:01   #1
VBV
BHPian

Toyota to come out with new vehicle - NVX

Found this on the net:

AutoIndia.com - Toyota-Kirloskar may launch new vehicle later this year

Toyota-Kirloskar may launch new vehicle later this year

April 29, 2008

New Delhi, 29 April 2008: Toyota-Kirloskar Motor is expected to launch a new multi-purpose vehicle later this year.
In another development, the car major, which was hit by labour problems a few years ago, has resolved most of the issues ahead of the small car project.
Code-named NVX, the multi-purpose vehicle, will have the same engine as that of Innova but will have different features. But the Deputy Managing Director of Toyota Kirloskar, Mr K.K. Swamy, said he was not aware of any such plan.
The platform on which Innova is built can be used to manufacture several variants of the multi-purpose vehicle as well as vehicles such as pick-up trucks. Sources said that the company has started shooting television commercials for the vehicle.
Toyota-Kirloskar has a capacity to produce 60,000 cars annually and once the new plant to produce small cars is set up, Toyota plans to use the existing capacity to build only multi-purpose vehicles as the production of Corolla will be shifted to the new plant.
Since its launch in 2005, Innova has sold a total of 1,32,000 units. The company has announced that it will build a second plant to produce small cars. The total capacity of the new plant is around one lakh units a year, and the company has committed an investment of about Rs 1,400 crore.
Toyota-Kirloskar launched its first multi purpose vehicle, Qualis in 2000, which was phased out in 2005. Toyota is generally known to phase out vehicles every five years as was the case with Qualis. In the case of Corolla which was launched in 2003, its new model will be launched later this year.
Courtesy: Business Line

Anybody's got more details on this?

Last edited by VBV : 30th April 2008 at 18:03.
Old 30th April 2008, 19:10   #2
BHPian

I don't see the need or the market for another MUV from Toyota...unless its a Qualis replacement (read cheaper and bare but reliable).
Old 30th April 2008, 19:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hmm...I think this is the old news, correct me if I'am wrong.
Old 30th April 2008, 19:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Hmm...I think this is the old news, correct me if I'am wrong.

just discussed the same on the thread below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-sleeping.html
Old 30th April 2008, 21:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yes agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
I don't see the need or the market for another MUV from Toyota...unless its a Qualis replacement (read cheaper and bare but reliable).
Perfectly right. Actually there is still a large taxi market and the one which is quite moving at a pace and not showing signals of slow down.Qualis was the one that would fit the requirement perfectly. when it was phased out, Tavera got some advantage, but soon was taken over by Bolero and Tempo trax vehicles.

If the news is correct and accurate, then Tavera would be the one to get badly hit along with Sumo.
Old 30th April 2008, 22:06   #6
BANNED

As GTO said, if it's a replacement for the Qualis, then all welcome. Junta is going to be soooooo happy!

I very much see the necessity of a cheaper MUV from Toyota.
Old 30th April 2008, 22:59   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Instead of launching the Fortuner, they decide to launch a utility vehicle on the Innova platform. This company seems to be quite disconnected with the maturing of the Indian market since the Qualis was launched. Either that, or the Sumo Grande has given them sleepless nights.

Last edited by theMAG : 30th April 2008 at 23:02.
Old 1st May 2008, 01:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

If this news report is correct, I see the Qualis II coming.
Old 2nd May 2008, 12:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Why would Toyota relaunch the Qualis?

The Innovative International Multipurpose Vehicle (IMV) Project of Toyota comprises 5 models including the Innova. Three of them are pick-up trucks which are not Tata 207 DI type workhorses but more of life-style pick ups with limited market in India. We already have the Innova here, so that only leaves the Fortuner. So in my view, the new vehicle is the Fortuner only but with the same engine as Innova, to keep costs down and logistics simple.

Here's what Toyota says about the IMV Project:
TOYOTA: IMV Project
Old 2nd May 2008, 13:58   #10
VBV
BHPian

Found this on the Net:
India: Toyota's new UV by end of the year

If the new vehicle is anywhere close to what it is in the pic, it will be worth looking forward to.
Old 2nd May 2008, 14:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Why would Toyota relaunch the Qualis?
One Possible Reason is the Penetration of the ICML Rhino. They seem to be going into Rural India far better than other players and I have already seen quite a handful of those around Bangalore Belt. If TKM is looking at it as a threat, then they have all the reason to relaunch, eh.. Lauch a NEW Qualis with a 100BHP engine like the Rhino with a very attractive price tag and who knows they may sell again.

TKM lost a huge sales% after Qualis came out of the Cab market. Why not risk it again. After all if something will sell, make it.
Old 2nd May 2008, 14:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBV View Post
Found this on the Net:
India: Toyota's new UV by end of the year

If the new vehicle is anywhere close to what it is in the pic, it will be worth looking forward to.
This looks like the Innova face lift to me. Aren't they (Innova and Avanza) based on the same platform?
Old 2nd May 2008, 15:10   #13
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
TKM lost a huge sales% after Qualis came out of the Cab market. Why not risk it again. After all if something will sell, make it.
Its not just the Rhino cab market, but the second hand qualis market as well, that will force Toyota to come out with a Qualis replacement. Both of them are very lucrative segments to encash on. And as you said, most companies are in the business of making money and not in the business of producing technology marvels. So why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
This looks like the Innova face lift to me. Aren't they (Innova and Avanza) based on the same platform?
Yes, they are based on the same platform. Avanza looks much smaller than Innova. NVX is also supposed to be based on the same platform as that of Innova. I think they will be like SX4 and Dezire, based on the same platform but for different market segments.
Old 2nd May 2008, 16:53   #14
Team-BHP Support

Qualis costs more to produce than the innova. So no sense in making qualis again.
I guess it will be something based on Innova platfrom, but the body/interiors will be different so that they can price it a lakh below the innova.
Old 2nd May 2008, 17:25   #15
Team-BHP Support

It also makes sense from another perspective. Toyota is slowly (that is so typically Japanese) trying to fill up the various price points and are keen to have a complete range for the market.

Now, they have already gone to town with their intention to have a newly developed small car to take on the Indian market for the B/B+ and entry C segment. The Innova with its price range probably covers the upper C segment well (though its not a sedan but it still sells well in the personal cars market). Of course TKM has vehicles at the various higher price points. So logically speaking they do need a vehicle that can cover the price point between 6-8 lakhs. And this new vehicle could very well be an endeavour in that direction.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks