Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2008, 11:47   #181
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
The bumpers I feel could be more strong as small dents or bumps in day to day city driving damages it.
This seems to contradict anarchist's experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
You should have hit the Lancer instead. This would have reduced the risk to the two wheeler (if your swerving away was the reason the scooter hit you or you hit the scooter with the rear portion of the car).
The scooter rear-ended the Swift. Its the duty of the guy behind to drive/ride slowly to avoid rear-ending.
Old 9th May 2008, 11:54   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
This seems to contradict anarchist's experience.

The scooter rear-ended the Swift. Its the duty of the guy behind to drive/ride slowly to avoid rear-ending.
Isn't that what you did ? I am saying this because most people just swerve to the next lane to avoid hitting someone. This endangers the guy travelling in the next lane for no fault of his. If the Lancer could stop, why couldn't you ? You were not keeping the usual gap between vehicles or were not attentive.

People never think that they need to stop or slow down if traffic in their lane stops or slows down. But they just have to keep driving by changing lanes suddenly without bothering about the people on other lanes.
Old 9th May 2008, 12:09   #183
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Probably the worst built car in the under 6L categ. Rattles from every corner. And this is just after 2 months. My baleno after having been stripped (to only having the drivers seat for a drag) endless number of times doesn't rattle half as much.

I'd so wish my parents listened to me and bought a Getz or a Elantra instead.
Old 9th May 2008, 13:28   #184
BHPian

ye ... even i was hearing many sound in my old swift... sold that out !
Old 9th May 2008, 14:10   #185
Senior - BHPian

My SX4 was rear ended by an Indicab on airport road in bangalore. My car suffered a completely ruined bumper and the rear fender was bent. Lucky that there were no dents on the bootlid because of the SX4's height! All the damage that I could spot on the Indicab was that the plastic clips for the headlights were broken! Nothing else out of place, not even the bumper![/quote]

Tata cars are built lank tanks. Probably their truck heritage.
Old 9th May 2008, 16:53   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
My SX4 was rear ended by an Indicab on airport road in bangalore. My car suffered a completely ruined bumper and the rear fender was bent. Lucky that there were no dents on the bootlid because of the SX4's height! All the damage that I could spot on the Indicab was that the plastic clips for the headlights were broken! Nothing else out of place, not even the bumper!

Tata cars are built lank tanks. Probably their truck heritage.[/quote]

Not exactly!!!
My Alto hit an Indica (just at my back) when I skidded on an incline on a very rainy day.There was hardly any noticeable damage to my rear bumber or car but his indica had broken number plate and a noticeable dent on the bumper! In fact once an Indica rear-ended me (on a Karizma) on a light (when I had stopped when it was about to go red while the dude behind wanted to jump it! Thankfully I was holding the brakes slam tight so avoided falling otherwise would have broken some bones that day!) Anyway there was absolutely no damage to my bike (the crash must have been at around 30 kmph or so) but his car had broken headlamp + bumper!!! Thankfully tehre was traffic police right there who saw everything and gave that driver quite a bollocking for hitting me from behind!

Probably extent of damage is very much dependent on conditions, angle of hit, speed etc etc. There are more factors to it than just the body material or so. I guess best car is the one that can save you to the best possible extent howsoever and whatsoever damage it itself takes!
Old 9th May 2008, 18:57   #187
BHPian

My swift D, does not have any rattles (a few squeaks) its been 5 months (10000 km), no problems with build quality, ofcourse, doors don't close properly many times, the headlights are poor, the tyres are the worst i have ever driven, the brakes are alright, but not very confident, parts of the body can be pressed in with your thumb... I am quite disappointed with the overall package, our wagon R (45000km/3 years) still has no squeaks or rattles), the headlights are good, the tyres need replacement now, but were good when new, the brakes are proper for a car of that size, the body panels are similar to the swift, but felt better put together than the swift felt when it was new...

i cannot compare it with my skoda fabia though... that would be unfair.

overall, I felt the QC was pathetic from the company (not so with the 2005 wagon R, or 1986 M800, or 1996 M Zen), as was the sourcing of cheaper parts for the car, there are too many things that don't feel as well put together like the wagon r did when it was new,
Old 10th May 2008, 01:04   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Guys, before complaining about Swift, let's face it. Rattling WILL be there in all cars, thanks to our pothole littered roads. It doesn't matter if its 800, Alto or Corrolla/Octavia.
I personally feel this is a really wrong assumption. I have never seen any rattling in my Magnum like the way swift got... There is no sound proofing meterial inside door panels and plastic is so thin for swift

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 10th May 2008 at 01:07.
Old 10th May 2008, 14:09   #189
BHPian

I beg to differ that all cars will have rattles. My Opel Corsa 2003 with 40K Kms does not rattle even on the rough road. It only had one rattle problem from Music system. Everybody who had travelled in the car mentioned that the ride is very good and no rattleing.
Old 10th May 2008, 14:19   #190
BHPian

Mine is a very strange story which i can't prove to any one. When ever i am travelling alone my left front door "screaks" on slow speedbreakers and potholes. But if someone is sitting on the left side then there is no sound. So 1 person driving means sound from the door and 2 people means no sound (it really feels great and 95% soundless like this). Now in such a condition i can't prove this to Maruti guys that there is sound coming from the door, because whatever i do and try the workshop advisors are not going to believe this thing.

Is greasing always needed in door hinges and locks. Cos' i see that there is none on my doors at the moment. And that could be the reason for the screaching sound.
Old 10th May 2008, 15:40   #191
Team-BHP Support

@kjdesigns

Does this issue not replicate when the passenger is sitting behind you?
Old 10th May 2008, 16:03   #192
Team-BHP Support

Simple ask the service guy to drive the car alone, or just go ahead and ask him to do door lock settings. They will understand if you explain it to them.
Old 10th May 2008, 17:16   #193
Senior - BHPian

With all respect, Swift's build quality is poor. Kick on its bumper and it may fall down! My friend happened to hit a stone lying on the side of the road while going dead slow (<5Kmph) and now we can see bad panel gaps near the bumper headlamp region. Plus some kind of plastic covering in the interior side of the wheel arch is broken! It rattles like hell now.

If I compare it with my car (Palio), once I got hit by another car from the back while breaking hard (from around 60Kmph to zero), and with that impact, my car went and hit another one in the front. Before stopping the car and getting out to see the damage, I made myself prepared to see a heavily dented / fallen down rear and front bumpers. But to my surprise, both were intact. There were some scratches and that's all.

Last edited by clevermax : 10th May 2008 at 17:23.
Old 10th May 2008, 17:18   #194
Team-BHP Support

Thats the wheel well trim, the clips might have come off. Refit the trim and bumper.
Old 11th May 2008, 01:05   #195
BHPian

A mongrel came under a friend's Swift, the front bumper got damaged, radiator developed a heavy leak.
Cost of fixing the damage- 45K.

Most Viewed