Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2007, 19:27   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
And I have no such problems in my Swift - neither do the people I know. I've no trouble gusting 140-150 km/h for about a couple of hours, with 3 full-sized passengers sitting with their eyes popping.

I think the incline story is just another myth. A car needs to be driven with its limitations in mind , a 1.3L car with 113Nm of torque can only do so much. It runs up inclines as well as it can.
I'd second that. I dont own a Swift, but recently drove an orange one (not sure which model but there was no ABS) and had no trouble touching 150 kmph with 5 adults, and the A/C on full blast.

Had been to visit a friend's farm. The only downside was, there was no place to stash all those kilos of vegetables we picked up . I think the suspension could have been a little better, but then this is a small car.

Maruti's car manufacturing is inconsistent though the end result is typically reliable and trouble free. But each car ends up feeling a little different from the next. Something to do with having so many suppliers to keep up with those volumes I guess.
Old 17th April 2007, 21:00   #152
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
Maruti's car manufacturing is inconsistent though the end result is typically reliable and trouble free. But each car ends up feeling a little different from the next. Something to do with having so many suppliers to keep up with those volumes I guess.
Yes... exactly... its inconsistent. Every peice drives like a different machine... but reliable!
Old 3rd May 2008, 12:56   #153
Senior - BHPian

Is Swift Build quality so poor... ??

Today while commuting to office i had a small chain accident kinda stuff...

Story goes like this...
I crossed the Inter-continental Signal and moved toward nehru place, had 2-3 cars moving in front of me... after crossing the signal, all cars and buses started moving but due to traffic chaos all cars and buses moving bumper-to-bumper in the lane at around 20-30 Km/h speed max. Suddenly front car in the lane breaked hard which ultimately forced each one of us in the lane to break hard as well. Though all couldn't break hard and hitted the car's in front. I went out safe from front due to appropriate breaking and stoppage. However, A Swift couldn't break properly, though he tried to save a lot even tired to steer left at-most but unluckily hitted my rear bumper from left side. Continuing the chain accident a DTC Bus (traveling at mere 10 km/h) minor hitted the back of the Swift.

Damage...
My Car, Optra - Deeply Scratched Rear Bumper with swift Paint peeled all over the Left side of the bumper.
Swift - Right side of Front Bumper completely damaged, Headlight reflector broken into pieces inside the the assembly only, Front-right fender damaged from front, A bit bend Bonnet. Minor scratches at rear, as the bus wasn't in speed. Minor scratches at the rear bumper and boot door.
DTC Bus - Negligible damages, as many scratches were there already.

Seeing at damage caused to Swift with this minor accident, i was shocked and couldn't imagine the damages of an accident caused to swift running at 80km/h Still not able to even think how a peted swift will handle the accident @ 150Km/h+

Is the build quality of Swift is so much poor or optra's build so much good ??
Old 3rd May 2008, 13:21   #154
BHPian

Can i hit your car more to see if its gets damaged?
Old 3rd May 2008, 14:22   #155
BANNED

It's somewhere in between!

Oh no! Another thread???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post

Is the build quality of Swift is so much poor or optra's build so much good ??
It's neither as far apart as you think. But somewhere in between I can say!

Swift can withstand highspeed crashes as I have seen some bad crashes on the highways and passenger compartment being safe. the ultimate purpose of a safe car is to take all the damages and keep the passengers safe, ain't it?? I see Swift as one of those many cars.

Optra is a well built car. It will withstand minor crashes better than a swift or many other cars.
Old 3rd May 2008, 15:19   #156
Team-BHP Support

zak is on dot, its the shell that needs protection, rest of the stuff are to be broken and crumpled to minimize the impact. If you are talking about build quality, i dont know if maruti/suzuki has any plans of recalling all those plastic clips for something better coz plastic rattle is the biggest issue that any maruti owner reports lol

european/german cars are designed to be tanks, americans are also close enough. japs and koreans well how do i put it, Sheaffer pen Vs Reynolds, design philosophy is diff
Old 3rd May 2008, 15:30   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
zak is on dot, its the shell that needs protection, rest of the stuff are to be broken and crumpled to minimize the impact.
And the parts ain't that costly either!!

the swift shell is well designed to keep the passengers safe but the external parts are very flimsy.
Old 3rd May 2008, 15:36   #158
Senior - BHPian

If there is a head on collision on a swift and a ambassador in which case the passenger will get injured ?
Old 3rd May 2008, 15:39   #159
BHPian

IIRC the Optra has bumpers designed to withstand collisions of upto 5kms per hour. That seems to have been the scenario, in this minor collision. I would surmise that the Optra has a better build quality on the bumpers, than the Swift, hence more damage on the Swift than on the Optra.

As mentioned by someone earlier, I have witnessed some major collisions involving Swifts, and was told that, even though the car may have looked totaled, the occupants survived the high speed crashes. This definitely speaks positive of the Swift's build quality.
Old 3rd May 2008, 15:53   #160
Senior - BHPian

Between the Optra, the Swift is weaker built relatively
Old 3rd May 2008, 16:04   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
If there is a head on collision on a swift and a ambassador in which case the passenger will get injured ?
Try and let us know
Old 3rd May 2008, 16:21   #162
Team-BHP Support

Injury will be more in an amby, have seen it happen to someone i know. Amby withstood the impact, but the passenger took the brunt of the impact. Oh it was not a swift, zen that hit the amby.

Again it might be due to the absurd angle of collusion in the case i quoted, but hey we all need a lesson or two on crash testing and understand that it might not be the mass, but rather how it is stacked up in a car that matters
Old 3rd May 2008, 16:55   #163
Team-BHP Support

Thats nothing, saw a honda city whicg grazed median and distorted the whole front end
Old 3rd May 2008, 18:11   #164
BHPian

The plastic parts in swift actually saved me some bucks!
I was travelling on Mysore Bangalore Highway and had to brake suddenly at a hump which i did not see.
There was a red opta trailing me who failed to notice me braking( I think he was arguing with his wife while driving!lol!) and bangs my car from behind. It was a good hit and i suspected the worst.
When I got down I saw the bumper hanging, I put it up, bang it a couple of times and click!it slots back into place without much fuss. I then put the plastic clips which were hanging out due to the impact back into place.
The optra guy apologized, I just gave him a smile and advised him to keep safe distance while trailing a car on highways. Got back into the car and drove away feeling happy that the damage could have been worse had it not been the plastic clips!

Now the comparison, My freind recently bought an i10 and banged into a wall while reversing. The bumper does not bear any dent apart from the paint damage but due to the impact the metal sheared and it looks really bad.Had it been a swift, the bumper would have popped out!lol!

Moral of the story- All swift owners don't crib about the plastic parts always, they are a boon sometimes aswell!
Enjoy the car. And yes periodically keep checking the plastic clips on the front and rear bumpers. They tend to get loose after some rough driving. Just thump them back into place!

Cheers!
Old 3rd May 2008, 22:54   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Can i hit your car more to see if its gets damaged?
Yes, why not... but first why try ramming in the home walls, if it survives it is well sufficient to be leached

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks