Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2008, 01:54   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Hmm, why not ban Nano and introduce better bus services in cities - in rural ofc, its tricky

why not make public transport convenient, nice, affordable and ubiquitous?

Why ban only Nano? Why not ban all cars including the one you drive so you can take the bus. Would be fair, no?
Old 5th May 2008, 07:08   #17
BHPian

why do ppl talk of first banning personal transport and then improving the public transport? Why cant they just provide better transport and then just sit and see the magic happen all by itself....or is it that the policy makers think that the "aam janta" is so dumb that they need to be spoon fed every thing!

By the way...insane, unskilled drivers are already there on roads...driving 2 wheelers. Nano will only provide them little more safety and possibly yet another chance in there lives to learn from there mistakes.

Regards,
Old 5th May 2008, 08:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

The 1 lakh figure is purely academic. As long as Nano succeeds to substantially undercut the Maruti 800, and create a new segment in the process, its purpose is solved.
Old 5th May 2008, 11:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

It doesnt matter whether the Nano is available for a few thousand more than the trumpeted 1 lakh as long as it delivers what it aims to deliver.
Old 5th May 2008, 12:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well Tatas might still be able to price it (ex-showroom or whatever) at 100k but I bet it might still remain a dream for millions given the rising fuel costs! How many people would be able to afford cars if petrol prices continue northwards journey!!! Petrol at 50/- now can go to 70, 80 or even 100 rupees a litre in 2-3 years! Thats something Tatas cant control (or they can come up with some alternate fuel... that would be nice but I dont know if they are capable of doing that).
If somehow magically petrol prices come down, then I can see Nano as huge success! It can possibly do to India what T-model did to US!
Old 5th May 2008, 12:31   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Jay D , well said. I couldnt have put it better myself.
Old 5th May 2008, 13:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I can think of a few more boons in disguise like this for this country.

Let's raise the price of cows and bulls, this will keep the farmers off the roads.

This will automatically raise the price of milk, so only the rich kids can afford to drink it and be healthy.

Why milk, let's raise the price of all food in India, so only the rich can eat, the poor will die of starvation and our population will be controlled quickly.

Come on bigman, think before you make a post like that. It's not nice to assume that a person who cannot afford an expensive car is an unskilled driver and/or an idiot.

Most of the unskilled drivers and idiots that I know drive cars that cost over 20 Lakhs.
Thanks for going off topic and failing to digest a post. If you read my post I clearly state that we have enough idiots on the road as it is... so I am assuming that even without the NANO we have more than our fair share of idiots on the roads. So it is not about being able to afford a car, it is a simple statement that more car users will lead to more bad drivers on the roads.

Even at 1 lakh the Nano is out the reaches of the lower stratum of the countries population so stop pretending that it is the common mans car.

Looking at my village most the people at BPL, you think they will ever buy a NANO ? NO ! If they do what they going to run it on ? They don't have clean water to drink let alone money for fuel.

Yes why not raise food prices ? We do not have utopia anywhere and for years the farmers of this country have been crying out for price rises as the cost of inputs has increased far more than the price they get for their output. If the middle classes kid from Bangalore can earn a decent wage then why not your average 5 acre farmer ?
Old 5th May 2008, 13:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
And i guess u are the only brilliant genius in this country who deserves to drive on the roads here. the Country's infrastructure is not your personal property. Others have an equal right to use it. Just because, you have a proper car,and can afford the luxuries in life, dosent mean that the common man has no dreams of owning a car and transporting his family in safety. The tata nano is a dream come true for many.And its price rise would affect the dreams of many.
Get off your high horse and stop pretending you are some B. Karat type peoples champion.

Quote:
Just because, you have a proper car,and can afford the luxuries in life, dosent mean that the common man has no dreams of owning a car and transporting his family in safety.
I do not have a proper car nor am I bothered about owning a proper car. The way I look at it, the common man in India is more worried about rises in food price etc than buying a NANO. The common man has no money for fuel and prefers to use public transport. If Rattan is so bothered about the common man why has he happily allowed farmers to be displaced from land they have farmed for centuries ? Was there no other place he could build factories ?

Quote:
People like u are the main reason why India is not yet a fully developed country. Neither do u do anything to contribute anything (as can be understood from your attitude) nor do u appreciate the efforts of others. ratan tata and his team have worked their hearts out on this project to make it a success, and what does the great BIGMAN do? Pray that he fails.
No its actually becasue of people like you who fail to see what is going on in the country and assume everyone can afford a NANO. Most BPL people I know still dream of having clean water and enough money to pay for their kids medicines let alone a poxy NANO.

The NANO has failed whether you like it or not. It is costing more than 1 lakh to manufacture so there goes Rattans goal.

Quote:
bigman, whoever u are,Please refrain from such arrogant and pompous statements on this forum. Do what little u can do top this country- Keep quiet atleast!
Oh so thats your angle. The usual jingo nationalist rubbish which just does not wash. Are you a shill for TATA ?

Your statements are not only condescending but a smack in the face of every BPL family in the country. Where are people like you when BPL folks cannot get clean water, medicine for the kids and a decent education ? It is such things that will lift India not a 1.75 lakh car.

Last edited by bigman : 5th May 2008 at 13:50.
Old 5th May 2008, 13:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

The Nano will be coming at an ex-showroom price of 1 Lac. A TATA dealer told me recently. This will be an introductory price only VALID for around 3 - 6 months.

BUT he also said that the way Tata is going to open bookings will be very different. Tata is not aiming to sell Nano's to a person who already has 2 or more cars in their house. Priority wll be given to people who are owning a car for the first time.

Of course, there will be a huge ' PREMIUM ' amount demanded by dealers so one can get their Nano earlier. Black market same as Swift Disel initially !!

I hope TATA does something so that everyone gets a Nano without paying an extra 5- 10k.

I am definetely booking one NO SECOND THOUGHTS THIS TIME !!!
Old 5th May 2008, 13:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
..... BPL family in the country. Where are people like you when BPL folks cannot get clean water, medicine for the kids and a decent education ?
Errr .. Sorry for going OT but please someone tell me, what is BPL ?

Maybe but please ellaborate.
Old 5th May 2008, 13:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Errr .. Sorry for going OT but please someone tell me, what is BPL ?

Maybe but please ellaborate.
BPL = below poverty line.
Old 5th May 2008, 16:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

I think people are confused with what govt. can do and business can do. NANO is a product from a business man and not a freebie from a Politician/Govt.

If there are so many people out there without medicines or water, it has nothing to do with NANO. When TATA says its a people's car it does not mean that a guy who has NO MONEY can buy this car. It just says that he can pay very less when compared to other car if he wanted to OWN one. Simple.

I cannot comment on the land planed for NANO production. But I really think that a Guy like TATA will have certain ethics of not to spoil any families or people life. So, the land may be selected because it does not provide much option for agri or may be because it provides better alternate to the farmers owning it.

If the only argument from you is that NANO will not come in 1 Lac, then let it be, but it is definitely 1 lac lesser to the cheapest car. So that 1 Lac is a real good money for the common man who like to own a car. With the current inflation I wont be surprised if again all car prices are hiked 2 or 3 times within this year end.

So I feel that the comments like "Stop NANO because it will create traffic chaos or bad drivers" etc should be thrased. India is a vast country with so much of land. Cities are not the only place to drive this cars. We have so many villages near to city where people can use this.

Still i see the Hero majestic and TVS mopeds used for transporting Milk containers in many villages, Many people do business on these vehicles in remote villages. these car will surely find its way. Infact be ready to witness more revolutionary inventions in the usage of this car cheers:
Old 5th May 2008, 17:05   #28

Well said Jothi! I guess Bigman just got a bit emotional (it's ok man, you are right in your own way).

I totally agree with u on the innovation part. We might see stripped down roofless versions of car soon. I myself am gonna try to fashion a 650cc motorbike!
Old 5th May 2008, 17:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I think people are confused with what govt. can do and business can do. NANO is a product from a business man and not a freebie from a Politician/Govt.

If there are so many people out there without medicines or water, it has nothing to do with NANO. When TATA says its a people's car it does not mean that a guy who has NO MONEY can buy this car. It just says that he can pay very less when compared to other car if he wanted to OWN one. Simple.

I cannot comment on the land planed for NANO production. But I really think that a Guy like TATA will have certain ethics of not to spoil any families or people life. So, the land may be selected because it does not provide much option for agri or may be because it provides better alternate to the farmers owning it.

If the only argument from you is that NANO will not come in 1 Lac, then let it be, but it is definitely 1 lac lesser to the cheapest car. So that 1 Lac is a real good money for the common man who like to own a car. With the current inflation I wont be surprised if again all car prices are hiked 2 or 3 times within this year end.

So I feel that the comments like "Stop NANO because it will create traffic chaos or bad drivers" etc should be thrased. India is a vast country with so much of land. Cities are not the only place to drive this cars. We have so many villages near to city where people can use this.

Still i see the Hero majestic and TVS mopeds used for transporting Milk containers in many villages, Many people do business on these vehicles in remote villages. these car will surely find its way. Infact be ready to witness more revolutionary inventions in the usage of this car cheers:
Why create something if you know full well we do not have the infrastucture to cope ? Corporates like TATA have a moral and ethical responsibility for their creations. Life is not all about making as much money as you can.

What is stopping TATA laying new roads on a BOT basis ?

The people's car tag implies a car for the masses. The water example etc was to highlight that it is far from a peoples car as the vast majority of people (BPL) have more pressing concerns.
Old 5th May 2008, 17:41   #30
Senior - BHPian

JayD and bigman, I request you to stop bickering and try to understand each others' POVs.

Firstly, if and only if bigman's comment was based purely on the kind of driving we see on our roads courtesy of rickshaws/cabs/buses, it's quite understandable that he's expecting armageddon as a motorist. JayD I'm sure you may have experienced, well, terror(!) on our roads.

Secondly, that doesnt change the fact, bigman, that it was quite a loose comment, if you read it again you cant blame these folks (us, actually, since I quite agree with them) for reacting the way they did upon reading your comment. Anyone would (mis?)understand and lend you a (I quote) "pompous and arrogant" colour.

I hope I have helped. Relax guys. It's an open forum.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 5th May 2008 at 17:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks