Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2008, 16:52   #1
BHPian

Cars offered as prizes

Offering a car as a prize- bumper or otherwise- has become a fairly common marketing gimmick these days. The cars on offer have run the gamut from the good old 800 to a Mercedes C class.
Most recently, Skoda had a competition running that promised a Fabia to the winner amongst those who uploaded a suitably creative video clip to their Fabia feel special launch website.
My question is: has anyone actually ever had the experience of winning such a prize, or does it always disappear/ get palmed off to some relative of the people making the offer/ etc.?
(As far as the Skoda competition goes, it is 2 months after the competition rules say they would publicly announce the result. I have not seen any such announcement yet. The site and its competition is stuck in some time warp.
Another stick to beat the Skoda PR machine with, or what?)
Old 5th May 2008, 16:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

A known of me won Tata Indica in a contest ran by Tata. That too around 3-4 months back only.

It was some video shoot related competition and his group (he and his brother) stood first in the competition.
Old 5th May 2008, 17:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

My friend won a Mahindra Scorpio as a prize for winning the Brand Equity quiz. Though he hasnt taken the delivery et al, nor has he got any info about it as of now.

But he doesnt want to keep the car and wants to sell it. So is it possible that the dealer from where he can collect.. can be sold that car again ?
Old 5th May 2008, 17:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

one of my good friend Harsh Vaidya in my classes in 2003 had won the palio sports red colour,he had to pay 2.30L to get the car,he bought the car and using till now done about 48k on the odo.
Old 5th May 2008, 18:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Funny incident happened with a business aquaintance. He had brought himself a spanking new Skoda Laura back in September 2007, and a new Indica DLX for his wife.
And guess what now he has 2 Laura's.
How?? He won some damn HP Miles contest and won another Laura in November 2007. :-)
Both the husband and wife goto work in their Laura's leaving the poor indica behind.

The only fortunate thing for him was that he did'nt have to pay a single penny for the Laura (Hp).

X
Old 5th May 2008, 18:48   #6
BHPian

One of my friends had won a Lancer a few years back in a
restaurant contest. He didn't even pay the restaurant bill
as it was a company event and he was just using the
company credit card.
Old 5th May 2008, 20:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Even My Friend Won a Honda City Gxi sometime back. Dont remember the contest
It was good. ONly he had to pay the difference between on road and ex showroom price.
Thats not much is it?
Old 5th May 2008, 20:44   #8
BHPian

My Dad won a Santro in 2007 in a lucky draw when he subscribed to the outlook magazine for a 3 year subscription

He got the intimation from the company and took delivery within a week and as he was used to driving a Sonata, we sold the Santro in about a month for 60K less the showroom price.
Old 5th May 2008, 21:52   #9
Team-BHP Support

A lot of hidden stuff behind these prizes

40% tax on value since it is a lottery
chances are the full road tax, insurance needs to be paid by you

So you could pay 50% of value for the prize.

some cases, you get the car but not in your name and pay for the tax and insurance while the company enjoys the deprciating benefits

give me the money!
Old 5th May 2008, 22:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

My friend won an i10 in december for the 'Kerala Shopping Festival' But by then' she'd thrown away the coupon!!
Old 6th May 2008, 09:29   #11
BHPian

Re: Cars offered as prizes

Hmm, so a lot of 'friends' seem to have won, but no first hand experience, with the exception of CorsaLove.

Yes, I would expect that you pay capital gains tax when you file your IT return, plus insurance, road tax etc etc. to get the vehicle.

Cheers.
Old 7th May 2008, 14:55   #12
BHPian

I think i should start entering these contests, wonder what happened to the fly kingfisher contest, where you could have won merc C class... the website still says winners are yet to be declared,
Old 7th May 2008, 19:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
Hmm, so a lot of 'friends' seem to have won, but no first hand experience, with the exception of CorsaLove.

Yes, I would expect that you pay capital gains tax when you file your IT return, plus insurance, road tax etc etc. to get the vehicle.

Cheers.

I'm not sure of how much he had to pay to get the vehicle but yes there was some amount close to 80K to get it. I guess they call it the gift tax or something? Correct me if i'm wrong..
Old 7th May 2008, 20:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine View Post
Funny incident happened with a business aquaintance. He had brought himself a spanking new Skoda Laura back in September 2007, and a new Indica DLX for his wife.
And guess what now he has 2 Laura's.
How?? He won some damn HP Miles contest and won another Laura in November 2007. :-)
Both the husband and wife goto work in their Laura's leaving the poor indica behind.

The only fortunate thing for him was that he did'nt have to pay a single penny for the Laura (Hp).

X
I had a red LML adreno, and I won another one in a lucky draw contest by Vijaya channel. My team lead said she heard my address in TV and thought it was some marketing gimmick.

I sold it to a friend for 35K though. no other taxes/surcharges to deal with.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks