Team-BHP - Buying car without a blue book(RC Book). Safe?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Buying car without a blue book(RC Book). Safe? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/39259-buying-car-without-blue-book-rc-book-safe.html)

Fellow Bhp-ians, I need some advice. One of my acquaintances is selling his 2005 car. I liked the car and expressed my desire to buy the same. He said he is the 2nd owner of the car. Today when I asked him to give me a copy of the blue book (Car Registration document), he said he doesn't have that with him. He didn't transfer the name when he bought it. He submitted it few days back for name transfer. He has the receipt from the RTO that to prove he had submitted it for name transfer. He also mentioned that I don't need the blue book for closing the deal. If I submit the receipt then RTO will transfer it directly on my name. I am not sure that whether it's possible or not to buy a car with that receipt. I would really appreciate if someone can advice or share their experience (if any). RTO is infamous for taking hell lot of time to transfer names. So if he is correct then it might take some good amount of time for him to get the blue book. But unfortunately we both are in a hurry to close the deal :Frustrati

FYI my location is Kolkata

Its better you do such deals as legally as possible. Don't be in a great hurry. For all you know, you might find a better car with the RTO documents clear.

I just checked the receipt he got from RTO. He submitted it on 7th March. There was some delay at the RTO. Not sure what? He said their was a short fall in the supply of some ink [:D]. Anyways, he said he has another document that states that the car has been transfered to his name. I am confused. But I liked the car so much

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrooooooom (Post 819750)
I just checked the receipt he got from RTO. He submitted it on 7th March. There was some delay at the RTO. Not sure what? He said their was a short fall in the supply of some ink [:D]. Anyways, he said he has another document that states that the car has been transfered to his name. I am confused. But I liked the car so much

if he wants the deal like the same way you want to ask him to wait until the picture is clear. If he shows signs of unusual hurry, then its bye bye to him. give him a token advance 500-1000Max and sit it out.

If the transfer is indeed possible from the receipt he has, provide the token amount to him with an agreement drawn stating that if the RTO transfer doesn't happen then the
token amount would be refunded. You can then apply for transfer to your name and pay the balance amount to the seller once the transfer happens.

Vrooooooom, I know that car is very likable. But, don't be hasty. As mentioned by others, give him a token amount and wait till the proper procedures are completed. Btw, how much is he asking for it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrooooooom (Post 819750)
Anyways, he said he has another document that states that the car has been transfered to his name.

And what would that be ?

Do not hurry into a deal which could leave a bad taste in the mouth. I am sure your friend could wait till he gets the RC from the RTO. Maybe you can help him by visiting the RTO & 'taking care' of things.

Why did your friend not transfer the car to his name when he bought it?

Or did he buy it only recently, and thus submitted the paperwork for transfer in March? If so, then its best for you to avoid this car. Why would he sell it off so fast?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 820099)
Why did your friend not transfer the car to his name when he bought it?

Or did he buy it only recently, and thus submitted the paperwork for transfer in March? If so, then its best for you to avoid this car. Why would he sell it off so fast?

I second that. Also check the past history of the car i.e Insurance, accident & service history to be more sure.

X

As they say, looks are deceptive. Think like Pink Pather, inspect all surrounding areas (of the car), inside out. I have a question, while your friend was driving the car, didn't the cops ever stop him? If they did, what documents did he show them? In case the documents are not with the driver here in Mumbai, the cops mostly tow away the car/bike (happened with my friends many a times)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 820099)

I second this opinion.

My advice would be to do the things in the right way, with all the necessary paperwork. After all, its your hard earned money that will go in buying the car. Cars are not things which we buy everyday, so better to be on the safe side.

Cheers.

Just as others mentioned about some hanky panky, its better to exercise caution when its regarding the papers and documents of the ride as its the only legal proof of acceptance of whether a person is the current owner.
Sometimes it does happen when people are lazy and if want to dispose off, they dont go through the hassle of doing a transfer where it happened with 3 of my colleagues (1st hand car bought by A -->he gets transferred abroad--->B buys the car and does not use much either, before he transfers the papers he too goes on a project abroad and hence----> he sells to C who gets the transfer done (legally its a second hand car but logically he is the 3rd owner)..But such a scenario is apparently quite far off in your case.

What make is this car & how much is he expecting for it ?

what some people usually do is, they buy the car from one person but they do not get the same transferred to their name (one more ownership transfer means less resale value) and they try to sell it to someone after using it for some months or sometimes even 1 year or so.
When I was on the look out for a Matiz for my wife, came across such a deal, refused it outright....

Anyways back to the topic, i too agree with the people here, just pay a token advance and close the deal once the RC book comes back from the RTO.
Else ask that guy to get the RC book without his name change and takes his signatures on Form 29 and Form 30 (i think these are the forms, if i am not wrong) and then get it directly transferred to your name.

suggest you follow all the rules
agree totally with AkMar on this

it is your money after all so you have every right to insist that all paperwork is done prior to closing the deal.

otherwise, dont worry - there are so many cars out there and so many sellers too, that even if you cannot get this particular one for some reason, to your complete satisfaction, there are still plenty of fish in the sea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkMar (Post 820545)
I second this opinion.

My advice would be to do the things in the right way, with all the necessary paperwork. After all, its your hard earned money that will go in buying the car. Cars are not things which we buy everyday, so better to be on the safe side.

Cheers.