Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2008, 23:23   #1
BHPian

Maruti Alto Sedan

The runaway success of the Maruti Swift DZiRE in both its petrol and diesel avatars makes me wonder if Maruti should seriously consider bringing out a sedan version of India's top selling (and probably the second cheapest) car - the Maruti Alto. After all, most of us like the 'status' associated with a three box sedan/ notchback as against a hatchback and Maruti should be able to price it quite close to the price of the hatchback version as in the Swift.

The cost of adding the boot to the Swift and metamorphosing it to a DZiRE is about Rs.40,000 and so we could well have an Alto sedan for less than Rs.2,70,000 (ex-showroom price)!

The now defunct VXI version of the Alto with its 1.1 L (1061 cc) engine should have sufficient pulling power too. Obviously it will cost a little more. Still it may well be the cheapest sedan in India if not the world!

Even the Indica hatchback was booted out to become the Indigo sedan and is an enormous success.

Maruti, are you listening?

Old 8th May 2008, 23:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

They are too busy to listen to anyone.

If they are listening; "Please do something about the built quality and shortage of VDi and sort first! "
Old 8th May 2008, 23:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

they spoiled the image of swift! it was supposed to remain a hot hatch.
Well because of us indians with that 'boot syndrome', they decided to launch the dzire, for me its very undesirable. will sell the swift soon because of this only.
Old 8th May 2008, 23:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
they spoiled the image of swift! it was supposed to remain a hot hatch.
Well because of us indians with that 'boot syndrome', they decided to launch the dzire, for me its very undesirable. will sell the swift soon because of this only.
Agree. Dont want to see sedan version of each and every car! Alto has a very typical small car looks. It would look very very odd in a sedan avatar!

Some cars (read Alto which is a beautiful car looks wise, fabia etc) are meant to be small cars only. IMO they should never to sedanised ever.
Old 9th May 2008, 01:28   #5
BHPian

why do we need 3-box cars

I, in all seriousness, fail to understand, why do we indians have this strong fetish for 3-box cars.

We, in general, rarely use that boot to its capacity.

Old 9th May 2008, 02:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

No ways. They are not good at changing things. See Zen for the biggest example.

I dont think they would. Also this could mean the length going about 4 m and no tax exemption. So I dont think the price would be just that. Also the engine will have to bigger to power a sedan. An 800 cc engine wont suffice to that
Old 9th May 2008, 08:52   #7
BHPian

Hate to imagine how it would look!
Old 9th May 2008, 09:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Doesnt matter.

Indigo spoiled the looks of a hatch that was amongst the best looking hatch ( ignore the undertyring ) till Alto( yes it looks good ) came and punched it. yes I am talking about Indica. Indigo spoiled the looks of Indica, which I believe had its own personality. The present Honda City we are having as a premium car is a poor sedanized version of a good looking hatch, Jazz/Fit.

The next Honda City will be based on the new Jazz that has typical hatch looks.

So it wont be only maruti.

I agree that we are not utilizing the boot to its full potential, but we need more boot space. The alto with a small boot will definately make many alto user get adequate boot space rather than having really less space in the hatch. I wont like it, but its rather will be good for customers.
Not all can afford huge sedans, but with this concept, small car customers wont have to share space with luggage.

Note: Liking the looks is mostly a personal front. I like Alto and Swift and my post shows that. But this might not apply to everyone.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 9th May 2008 at 09:05.
Old 9th May 2008, 09:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

the alto with an AC in third gear pulls like an auto rikshaw. I dread what it would be like with a boot as well.
Maybe they'll bring the Vxi's 1.1l engine back
Old 9th May 2008, 09:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

Goswami may i know the source of this info??? Cos i heard it wont resemble the hatch nor will be based on the hatch platform.
Old 9th May 2008, 09:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I thought current Honda city was a sedan version of Jazz/Fit. Whereas the next city sedan will be based on different platform.
Old 9th May 2008, 10:13   #12
BHPian

It is better if they re-introduce 1.1L ALTO with features such as ABS, Airbags etc. ALTO is a cute hatch and i personally feel, it should remain so.
Old 9th May 2008, 10:26   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Murugan, I sincerely hope your thread doesn't give them any ideas!!! The Alto is best as a hatch, and should continue in that body style only.
Old 9th May 2008, 10:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

A 800 CC Sedan !!! Oh God, No !!!

The cheapest Sedan In India I think is the recently launched Indigo CS ( Compact Sedan ). It looks OK. But the Alto as a sedan is unthinkable.

I personally feel the DeZire looks horrible. The Esteem & Baleno was a much better looker IMHO. The Swift of course till today looks hot as ever.
Old 9th May 2008, 10:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

The answer is a big bold NO.

OT: I have started hating the way Indigo CS looks. Weird is the word!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks