Team-BHP - time for honda to bring in the cdti's
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   time for honda to bring in the cdti's (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/3940-time-honda-bring-cdtis.html)

i think it is right time for honda to introduce their next generation common rail diesels called cdti(correct me if i am wrong),the market for premium diesels is really hot,with the launch of tucson crdi and mondeo diesel due soon the crv and accord cdti's will give honda a huge advantage.with such a good reputation and fan following in india cdti's will get a terrific response. please: honda

Absolutely!! In a fuel economy oriented country, such as India, a diesel option is a must. Honda can get the 2.2 ltr diesel option for both the CR-V and the Accord. The Civic could do with a smller 1.7 ltr engine (when ever it gets released here).

And what about a diesel option on the NHC? Boy wont that be a killer!!!

The 2.2 ltr ctdi engine in the CR-V produces 140ps@4000rpm and a more than enuf 340nm@2000 rpm.

0-60mph - 10.3 secs
Top Speed - 114mph/183kmph
Fuel Economy - 42.2 mpg/17.81kmpl (mind you, this is the combined FE figure and not the best).

And get this, between the A/T, M/T and the diesel. Only the diesel has a 6 speed gearbox.

Source - CR-V ctdi road test.

Shan2nu

man shan2nu
i realy look upto you. i bet your comp is overloaded with car stuff

a honda city cdti will increase their sales and bring in prospective viva, elantra buyers
and the CR-V needs a diesel option as much as the safari needs a better ngine but i dont think an accord crdi would be intresting unless its better then the accord 2.4 which would be kind of tough

Quote:

but i dont think an accord crdi would be intresting unless its better then the accord 2.4 which would be kind of tough
Ofcourse the Accord crdi wont be anywhere as good as the Accord 2.4, bcoz crdi is from Hyundai. LOL

Anyway, you got a point there but, since the CR-V will have the 2.2 ltr ctdi, it won't be much of a trouble plonking that engine into the Accord. Instead of having 2 diff diesel engines for the Accord and CR-V, then can use the same one.

Even the 2.4 ltr engine in the CR-V is a slightly tuned Accord engine.

The Accord will be much happier with a diesel option, as an Accord owner would be looking for good driveability rather than outright, on the limit performance. Massive torque at low rpm means better pulling capability in higher gears and reduced gear changes.

To give you an idea, the Accord V6 here, with a 3ltr V6 engine produces 276nm@5000 rpm. Now, the ctdi with a 2.2 ltr engine produces 340nm@2000 rpm.

Those are impressive figures. No matter what gear you are in, no matter what speed your car is doing, step on that gas pedal and there it is, that colossal mass of torque, at your service.

For a person (unlike me), who isn't a high revving freak, will surely opt for the diesel Accord over the Petrol. You can take my word for that.

Shan2nu

I think the cdti's are needed only fot the big Hondas. The Citys and Civic's should manage well on the present I-Dsi and V-tec engines which are economical enough.

Its about time honda gave the diesel option to the indian buyer...but now that i think of it...why hadnt they introduced diesels earlier in india?

Drifter

dude drifter....good question!

i cant think of a single reason why....the funny part is they never needed to introduce diesels to be market leaders in their respective segments.... call that goodwill and brand name! :)

i think sales could have easily been 50% more had they intorduced diesels (being extremely conservative with the figure)! bad planning on their part though....maybe high import duties, the assembly line not being able to take the addition lines a diesel may have reqd, heaven knows!

Actually i don't think Honda has officially announced the launch of any diesel models as yet.

Since Honda isn't known for their diesel engines, they'll surely be more conservative as to when and where they lauch their diesel versions.

But i hear that the ctdi has done pretty well in UK. The Accord 2.2 ctdi won the 2005 "new diesel car of the year" award.

Accord CTDI - Diesel car of the year

Honda ctdi sets new world records including an average fuel efficiency of 92mpg (38kmpl)

Accord ctdi - 20 page brochure - PDF Format

CR-V ctdi - review

CR-V goes for diesel power

And the fact is that Honda never wanted to make diesels, Honda doesn't take that much pride in their diesel engines as much as they take for the petrol ones.

To Honda, the diesel option is an obligation. But, that didn't stop Mr Nagahiro from saying "So if I had to build a diesel, it had to be the best,".

Honda guru dislikes diesels.

Shan2nu

I think now its the time for Honda to launch their diesel engine because they will also have to compete with Toyota Fortuner which will behaving CRDI engine.

Quote:

I think now its the time for Honda to launch their diesel engine because they will also have to compete with Toyota Fortuner which will behaving CRDI engine.
Actually Honda has common rail technology too, i-ctdi stand for "intelligent common-rail turbodiesel injection".

Here's a video on the the i-ctdi engine - streaming video
Downloadable video

Shan2nu

A honda diesel, if and when it is launched, will surely be costlier than the normal version. The city is aldready priced a bit too high for the power and looks it offers, this engine willl only serve to make it a little tougher for honda.

Quote:

A honda diesel, if and when it is launched, will surely be costlier than the normal version. The city is aldready priced a bit too high for the power and looks it offers, this engine willl only serve to make it a little tougher for honda.
That could be one reason. But i doubt if Honda will have a diesel option in the lower segments. They would be looking at the CR-V and Accord, read that as D segment.

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Actually Honda has common rail rechnology too, i-ctdi stand for "intelligent common-rail turbodiesel injection".

Here's a streaming video on the the i-ctdi engine - i-ctdi video

Shan2nu

Thanks man,that video was good. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman
i think it is right time for honda to introduce their next generation common rail diesels called cdti(correct me if i am wrong),the market for premium diesels is really hot,with the launch of tucson crdi and mondeo diesel due soon the crv and accord cdti's will give honda a huge advantage.with such a good reputation and fan following in india cdti's will get a terrific response. please: honda

Next generation? It is current generation technology. Here you get plenty of Accords with i-cdti technology. Though most of them are taxis!