Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2008, 20:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Update on Fiat Linea launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
chetanrs - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

here you go guys , the showroom is located on mysore road just before rv college....it was renovated to make more room for the fiat cars so for the opening ceremony they had brought in these cars
Hi folks. I'm somoeone who is keenly awaiting the GP / Linea launch and I was extremely happy to probably hope to the Tata-Fiat showroom in Mysore road and check out the beauties, but the Fiat sales contact informed, to my sorrow, that those vehicles were brought down to the showroom when they renovated/expanded the fiat's portion of the showroom [he said it was a nationwide attempt to renovate fiat's showrooms].

[edit]: these 2 cars are NOT on display now. They're back at the plant, i was told.

The shocking news I received from him is that he confirmed with me [and mind you, i asked him this 3 times and also mentioned i'd communicate this to several individuals over a forum] that the Linea is due to launch 'END OF NEXT MONTH', which is end of June '08. He said that the Fiat management had come down to this showroom personally whilst getting the 2 'soon-to-be-launched' cars for display, and made the commitment themselves. He also was bold to confirm the price range would be between 6 - 8 lakhs.... I know most sales guys don't have a clue about anything more than the literature they probably mug-up, but this guy was more than that kind of sales person...

I enquired about the Grande Punto too [which in all probability will be the car I can comfortably purchase] to which he replied that it would be launched by october, and assured to me that Fiat is to launch both cars before the end of the year. The only thing that seemed a give-away of his knowledge is that he metioned that it would cost 8 lakhs...

Maybe he got the estimated pricing interchanged. Even then 6-8L seems to be the wrong band for a GP. My personal opinion

This info comes from a Fiat sales person called Ravi Kumar, and the showroom is Concorde Motors on Mysore road (the one mentioned above, by Chetan). I only hope this is too true. It cannot be better timing since I'm waiting to dispose my existing car in Chennai and get a new diesel sedan [or GP] soon. I'm in B'lore now, btw..

Chetan: Thanks for the pics. Made me atleast call up and enquire.

Last edited by k_ajay : 19th May 2008 at 20:45. Reason: update...
Old 19th May 2008, 21:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

@K_Ajay- Thanks a lot for the info. I somehow aint sure about the June '08 launch of Linea. I was expecting it atleast by July. Hope Fiat doesnt delay the launch. I know a lot of people waiting to buy a VFM diesel sedan. I just hope Fiat doesnt screw up with the pricing or the wait period !
Old 19th May 2008, 22:48   #18
BHPian

@K_Ajay - thanks for the info buddy. i was waiting for Linea from a very long time. hope Fiat doesnt disappoint me this time.
Old 20th May 2008, 09:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
No offense but these press releases from FIAT are beginning to sound like election promises - the same stuff every couple of years.
Yes , Exactly ! For how many times we have to hear this
Old 21st May 2008, 14:22   #20
BHPian

The photos in Chetan's album shows right hand side driver seat Fiat 500, but left hand side driver seat for Linea. So, that probably tells that Linea's launch is not so close as June.
Old 21st May 2008, 20:18   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
The biggest myth being fetched around these days is that Fiat cars aren't being pushed by it's dealers. If somebody has proof of it, then they should forward that to FiAT India. Because, when they entered into an agreement with TATA, I'm sure they should have covered this part too. And if there's any unwillingness shown by a partner, then by all means the other one is being made a fool. I don't think FiAT can be that bad to not understand that.
And, TATA- FIAT tie up did increase FIAT sales (although its still not upto their sales target). Most people put the blame on the tie-up like the agreement is the reason why FIAT sales went down.

But, there is no doubt TATA would benefit more from this tie-up. Simply because they now get a fabulous engine to go with their decently priced cars.
Old 21st May 2008, 20:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
The photos in Chetan's album shows right hand side driver seat Fiat 500, but left hand side driver seat for Linea. So, that probably tells that Linea's launch is not so close as June.
Thats because the 500 and Grande Punto are sold in UK and they can bring in the right hand drive ones from there. The Linea, IMO, is currently, only being sold in Left hand drive countries.
Old 21st May 2008, 21:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
The Linea, IMO, is currently, only being sold in Left hand drive countries.
No Amit, Linea launched in Turkey last year is a RHD!

So we can expect the same model in India soon.
Old 21st May 2008, 22:15   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
No Amit, Linea launched in Turkey last year is a RHD!
Turkey follows the same system of traffic as in the US. I guess that means LHD.
Old 21st May 2008, 22:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

And guys, the ONLY reason someone like me (average enthu guy well aware of Maruti's quality and fiat's solidity but not a tinkerer) can today buy a SwiftD over a palio is because of the T.A.S.S

And yes, their laziness in not upgrading the interiors (decent but quite 90s) is criminal. Why not just reproduce the console from Brazil?

Last edited by phamilyman : 21st May 2008 at 22:31.
Old 21st May 2008, 22:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
And yes, their laziness in not upgrading the interiors (decent but quite 90s) is criminal. Why not just reproduce the console from Brazil?
Invest in expensive tooling for entirely new interiors when they are selling 400 units every month? With the Palio, Fiat is in a no- win situation so I think they are just biding time till the Linea and GP roll out. If these cars sell well then Fiat may launch the all new Palio in 2010 hoping that the success of the Linea and GP rubs off on the Palio too.
Old 5th October 2009, 22:51   #27
BHPian

Revival of Fiat India or Just not yet?

Fiat’s revival plans in India are on track as both the Linea and the Punto are doing decent numbers for the maker.
The Linea has crossed cumulative sales of more than 10,000 units in the market while the recently launched Grande Punto hatchback has already sold more than 5000 units, according to a statement issued by the company today.
The numbers are especially impressive given that before the Linea launch, Fiat were barely selling a couple of hundred units in the best of its months! Linea and Punto have ressurected Fiat in India to an extent with their combination of class leading ride and handling, looks, interior equipment, sterling fuel economy from both petrol and diesel, lower maintainence costs and value for money pricing.
Speaking about the milestone, Mr. Rajeev Kapoor, CEO, Fiat India Automobiles Ltd said, “Fiat is a brand which has been deeply rooted in the Indian psyche for many decades now. Our dream is to see a lot many Fiat vehicles plying on Indian roads. The milestone achieved by Linea is a testimony that we are inching closer towards this goal. Now, we are confident that the Grande Punto will emulate if not exceed this success.”
Jump over for the Press Release.

Press Release
Fiat India re- establishes itself with its stylish new cars
? The stylish sedan Linea clocks more than 10, 000 units in less than nine months
? Grande Punto, Fiat’s latest hatchback, also crosses 5000 units within three months of its launch
Mumbai, October 05, 2009: ‘Fiat’, known for its stylish cars and legacy, holds a special place in the hearts of many Indians. Many people in the country remember Fiat as their first car and a now a whole new generation of Indians are discovering the Fiat of their time and age. The year 2009 has been a revival of sorts for one of the country’s most endeared car brands. For the past few years Fiat has been preparing for this new phase in the Indian market and the efforts have met with tremendous response. The beginning of the year saw the launch of its stylish and elegant sedan, Linea which is at the core of Fiat’s success in recent times.
Linea within nine months of its launch has crossed the milestone of clocking more than 10,000 units. This figure becomes even more important considering that Fiat sold a total of 3550 cars in the corresponding period last year from January to September. Also, the Grande Punto has sold more than 5000 units within three months of its introduction.
Speaking about the milestone, Mr. Rajeev Kapoor, CEO, Fiat India Automobiles Ltd said, “Fiat is a brand which has been deeply rooted in the Indian psyche for many decades now. Our dream is to see a lot many Fiat vehicles plying on Indian roads. The milestone achieved by Linea is a testimony that we are inching closer towards this goal. Now, we are confident that the Grande Punto will emulate if not exceed this success.”
About Fiat India Automobiles Ltd:
Fiat India Automobiles Limited (FIAL) is a 50-50 Industrial Joint Venture between Fiat Group Automobiles S. p. A., (Fiat) and Tata Motors Limited (Tata) originally incorporated on January 02, 1997. The company employs about 2775 blue & white collar employees and is located at Ranjangaon in the Pune District of Maharashtra. The definitive agreement of the Joint Venture was signed in October 11, 2007. The board of directors for this company comprises of five nominees each from Fiat and Tata.
The state-of-the-art facility at Ranjangaon, which is owned by FIAL, a joint venture company, is capable of producing 200,000 cars and 300,000 engines, besides 3, 00,000 parts & accessories. Currently manufacturing the Palio Stile 1.1, 1.6 models, Linea and now the Grande Punto. The facility also manufactures Fiat’s successful 1.3 litre Multijet diesel engines and 1.2 & 1.4 litre Fire gasoline engine. Apart from Fiat cars, the facility will also produce Tata passenger and next generation cars with investment exceeding € 650 Million. The plant provides direct and indirect employment to more than 4,000 people.
Old 5th October 2009, 23:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

How many of you actually think its high time Fiat should spin off from Tata for Sales and services front. Again, I am not talking about the manufacturing front.
Do you think the A.S.S for Fiat will improve if they do so?
I somehow feel it will help thier brand image.
Old 5th October 2009, 23:59   #29
BHPian

I strongly think that there should be dedicated Fiat only A.S.Ctrs manned by well trained bright and fresh engineers/personnel, and not from the existing lot who just seem to migrate from one brand to another and crry along with the same insensitive and unprofessional service culture.
Old 6th October 2009, 00:13   #30
BHPian

surely Fiat has managed to resurrect its image a bit in the indian market but it still has lots to prove.Still there are mixed reports as far as A/S/S is concerned.
The partnership with TATA has made the difference i feel.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed