Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2008, 14:05   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
What MSIL should do is , package its vehicles better in terms of interiors etc to give the cars a feel good factor.( similar to NHC vs the OHC). This will enable it to improve the perception that it is good only in small, low cost cars.
I agree, but when it comes to the WagonR, they have already brought in many new features (absent in my car) like roof rails, side door trims (or what do you call 'em?), boot opener, lpg option, better front grill,etc. I guess they need to bring in new features also in the Swift and the SX4.
Old 24th May 2008, 15:16   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
IMO, For the last two years, Maruti might have lowered it's standard for the Quality inspection, meaning more parts now pass through the quality check because of the lowered standard(maybe to meet the higher demand).

What this means is that along with cars with good quality parts, cars with lower quality parts are also sold off. This will explain why some people does not face any issues while others have issues very early.

I dont know about what has excatly happened, and looks like you are correct on your assumption.

But in general I have seen that the chassis, barkes, suspension are the places that Swift/SX4 face least issues and its basically the interirors that are facing the problem.

It can also be the new plant that maruti uses to manufacture Swift/SX4 ( correct me if wrong on this part ).
Old 25th May 2008, 16:07   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Maruti does meet "minimum" expectations (I myself bought one because of reliability and price), but someone paying 8 lakh+ is looking for much more then that.
Hit the nail right on the head, with this one simple sentence! Well said.
Old 25th May 2008, 19:46   #259
Team-BHP Support

Interestingly, the thread on rattles in SX4 has taken a very different turn. I think most of the owners seem to say that it doesnt rattle.

So, its mainly a problem with the Swift and DZire.
Old 25th May 2008, 21:15   #260
BHPian

I think we can close this thread as the purpose of this thread has got its point. Many SX4 owners have polled that the car doesn't rattle or there is only 1 or 2 rattles, and not a big issue.
The message to Maruti is to improve the interior fit and finish and maintain consistency, other than that nothing to complain.
Old 25th May 2008, 22:27   #261
Senior - BHPian

Since I am not eligible to poll, I dare say that perhaps we ought to look beyond some of the rather trivial issues of car ownership and focus more on the basics.

A troublefree and cost-effective ownership experience, as opposed to being car-less for days together for want of spares with the dealer etc., is more relevant for the vast majority of people turning to T-BHP for guidance.

The kind of TOTAL ownership experience that Maruti vehicles offer is unmatched currently by any other maker. Yes, there is always scope for improvements, but these will have their price. Looked at as a package deal, the current position of MUL cars is unassailable.
Old 26th May 2008, 11:40   #262
VBV
BHPian

For those who missed it, the poll is on:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...x4-rattle.html
Old 29th May 2008, 20:20   #263
Senior - BHPian

This cost cutting is going on in all models, not only Swift/SX4.

Recently we had been to a service station for servicing (40K service of M800). The gear shift was feeling rough, so the service centre was asked to check the transmission.

The service advisor told us that the gear lever foundation will have to be replaced. He also said that in our car the foundation was a metal one, and Maruti has stopped the production of metal foundation. Now only plastic (maybe toughened plastic or something) foundation is available, which will require frequent replacement. He also said that there will be no harm if the part is not replaced.

I might not be technically correct at some places. Just posted what the service advisor told my dad.
Old 29th May 2008, 22:12   #264
Senior - BHPian

My car ended up with a loose fan belt which resulted in a Chirrrrrrrr sound every morning. Seems like quite a few SX4's have this issue. I faintly remember reading about this on the forum. I sent the car to S.K.Maruti on wednesday. After that there is no noise. The rattles were dealt with too. Lets see how long the car stays rattle free.
Old 29th May 2008, 23:40   #265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
The service advisor told us that the gear lever foundation will have to be replaced. He also said that in our car the foundation was a metal one, and Maruti has stopped the production of metal foundation. Now only plastic (maybe toughened plastic or something) foundation is available, which will require frequent replacement. He also said that there will be no harm if the part is not replaced.
Gear lever foundation made of plastic?

Can any of the experts explain what this means?
Old 3rd June 2008, 18:11   #266
BHPian

My little bit on the Swift/SX4 debate. Owned a 2005 Swift VXi with ABS,done 18,000 kms without any complaint.Over the years right from 1983/84, Maruti has been excellent VFM. But you cannot rest on your past laurels and continue to churn out products which do little justice to all the patronising it has received over the years,which made it the market leader.When the 800 debuted in the Fiat/Ambassador era,India had not seen a new car for decades.You had the odd Contessa/Standard 2000,which still had the rich mans tag.The 800 made the mass believe that owning a car in the near future was a possibility.
Fast forward to 2008, MUL still is the market leader with competition catching up fast.It has delivered with the 800,ZEN,ALTO.The writing on the wall was visible from the Baleno days ( initially the pricing was wrong ) and Swift & SX4 have just multiplied their woes.MUL might still have the best ***,affordable parts,FE,good resale etc,but what about the competition ?
As rightly pointed out by many members here, HYUNDAI is a serious threat.The Santro still continues to be the King.The I10 has been reasonably succesfull.The Accent/Viva/Getz/Tuscon/Terracan/Sonata/Elantra have all had decent runs.

MUL seriously needs to wake up and consider HYUNDAI as major competition.
Old 10th June 2008, 20:07   #267
Senior - BHPian

I have been driving Maruti cars since 1996 and I can see the deterioration in quality from old days.

Maruti will definitely succeed in low segment cars as what matters for the common man are low price, mileage and maintenance cost. The frugal light weight rev friendly engines are the best to drive in that class.

But in higher segments, the sheer quality matters a lot. An efficient marketing strategy, greater number of features offered in the price range and a great engine are not enough to survive in the long run. The initial euphoria will die soon.
Old 11th June 2008, 01:57   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
An efficient marketing strategy, greater number of features offered in the price range and a great engine are not enough to survive in the long run. The initial euphoria will die soon.
See there is also a very practical sense in what you said there.
There not a single feature thats worth singling out about the car here, yet its become such an initial success.
Its got to be the mix of Maruti effect, along with a great marketing strategy.

What that success means is if i want to sell my car tomorrow, i would get decent resale and for some of the better cars sadly thats not the case (for someone like me thats also a big factor).
Old 11th June 2008, 10:21   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I have been driving Maruti cars since 1996 and I can see the deterioration in quality from old days.

Maruti will definitely succeed in low segment cars as what matters for the common man are low price, mileage and maintenance cost. The frugal light weight rev friendly engines are the best to drive in that class.

But in higher segments, the sheer quality matters a lot. An efficient marketing strategy, greater number of features offered in the price range and a great engine are not enough to survive in the long run. The initial euphoria will die soon.
Wonder what lies ahaed with the A Star Concept & Splash due for release in the near future.
Old 11th June 2008, 10:59   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhijat View Post
See there is also a very practical sense in what you said there.
There not a single feature thats worth singling out about the car here, yet its become such an initial success.
Its got to be the mix of Maruti effect, along with a great marketing strategy.
If you take Swift and SX4, it has more features (ABS, Airbags, EPS, Alloys etc) compared to competition at a far lesser price.

I bought Getz Glx for 6.1 lakhs. At 5.4 lakhs Swift ZXI was available with all the extra features I could ask for. Why would not a person go for Swift perceiving Maruti quality to be same or even better than the competition? Sadly Maruti quality is not better. Better mileage and after sales service/ network make the case more strong in Marutis favour.

Hyundai has taken a right step to counter Maruti by introducing i10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks