Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2008, 15:31   #1
BHPian

Booked a car - Can I cancel the booking?

I have just a booked a fiesta yesterday after months of thinking and years of planning for a car.

I've read on another thread that the fiesta is going to be re-launched next month(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...acelift-6.html)

If this news about a new model is true then what should I do?

Can I cancel the booking? Can I ask the dealer to give me delivery of the car next month?

So far I have just paid a booking amount of 10,000 to a ford dealer in Delhi.

Please advise!
Old 14th May 2008, 16:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Of course you can cancel the booking and get your amount back. I did it once some 5 years ago -- had paid 50K as the booking amount and canceled it. No issues..
Old 14th May 2008, 16:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yea! You can cancel it, as recently my cousin booked Dzire but due to ridiculously long waiting period he canceled and booked an Aveo. He did not face any problem. He paid almost close to a lakh i think and there were no bickering and any such issues.
Old 14th May 2008, 16:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think they'll return the money to you - just speak to them & explain that you've changed your mind. Which dealer is this - HF in Moti Nagar?
Old 14th May 2008, 16:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yes of course you can cancel it. A cousin of mine had booked a fiesta last month in Bangalore. His company said he would have to go to UK for a year on a project. There was no one else in the family in bangalore and he did not want to keep a new car idle for one year. So he cancelled his booking and got back his booking amount of 25,000.

So it should not be a major hassle for you to cancel it.
Old 14th May 2008, 17:04   #6
BHPian

You will get your money back, but they may require a letter from you in wrtting and it can take a while even upto a month. Keep reminding them to make it faster. I did the same when I paid 5 lakhs for audi a4 but got to know new one is coming soon. Thankfuly i gave instructions to the bank to stop the check before it hit my account.
Old 14th May 2008, 17:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I think they'll return the money to you - just speak to them & explain that you've changed your mind. Which dealer is this - HF in Moti Nagar?
This is NCR Ford in Defence Colony.

Now the question is whether to cancel or not. I'm getting mixed views about the fiesta upgrade. If it's just the introduction of 1.6TDCI it won't make any difference to me but if it's a major model upgrade I would like to wait for the new version.

Well I had initially asked for silver color but it wasn't available and I was told that no new cars are being dispatched from Ford's plant at Chennai since a price increase is on the cards and the next batch of cars will come after the price increase so I might have to wait till next month and also pay a higher price(Now that I think about it it sounds fishy as they might be pushing me to buy a car earlier)

White was my second choice and it's readily available with the dealer so I thought I would take that.

Now I could tell the dealer that I've changed my mind and I want silver even if it takes time or if I have to pay a higher price. I guess that would be a safe strategy and I'll also get to know if there is a new model by next month.

It's confusing.
Old 14th May 2008, 17:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuch View Post
Now I could tell the dealer that I've changed my mind and I want silver even if it takes time or if I have to pay a higher price. I guess that would be a safe strategy and I'll also get to know if there is a new model by next month.

It's confusing.
Would they return the money to you if you tell them that? I think you shoud just tell them you changed your mind.

Also, how long back was this, has the cheque hit your Bank? Dealers are pretty laidback, maybe they haven't even banked the cheque so far? If they haven't, then tell them that you are putting a stop payment out
Old 14th May 2008, 17:37   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Would they return the money to you if you tell them that? I think you shoud just tell them you changed your mind.

Also, how long back was this, has the cheque hit your Bank? Dealers are pretty laidback, maybe they haven't even banked the cheque so far? If they haven't, then tell them that you are putting a stop payment out
There are 2 things here
1) I paid Rs. 10,000 in cash for the booking amount
2) The reason for the haste booking was that I am getting a reasonable price for my old car from the dealer.

All other Ford/many maruti dealers(since I was also considering sx4) have quoted a lower price for my accent. I don't want to sell the car to a neighborhood dealer because I want peace of mind and proper paperwork while selling an old car and since I've had a bad experience previously.
Old 14th May 2008, 18:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

@ Zuch - i Don think there will be a major facelift in the Fiesta. I see some interior changes and only 1.6tdci being the major change. I guess Fiesta will have a major facelift next year since the Fiesta hatchback is being sold worldwide Ford might bring in a tailor made Fiesta for us. But till date nothing is predictable from Ford.
Old 14th May 2008, 19:17   #11
BHPian

@ Zuch
To go for a new car or a new version of an existing car, anyday makes more sense. And especially in the times of speculation whether the new Fiesta will be launched this month or the next it is advisable that you wait and go for the newer version, whenever it is launched.( mind you; this is in case you have totally made up your mind to go for a Fiesta). Or else if you are in a hurry to buy a new car then as others have said you can anytime cancel your booking and get back the booking amount. Just tel the dealer that you have changed your mind thats it.

dhaval
Old 14th May 2008, 19:40   #12
Team-BHP Support

You can always rebook for the new model, using the same amount
Old 14th May 2008, 19:51   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval View Post
@ Zuch
To go for a new car or a new version of an existing car, anyday makes more sense. And especially in the times of speculation whether the new Fiesta will be launched this month or the next it is advisable that you wait and go for the newer version, whenever it is launched.( mind you; this is in case you have totally made up your mind to go for a Fiesta). Or else if you are in a hurry to buy a new car then as others have said you can anytime cancel your booking and get back the booking amount. Just tel the dealer that you have changed your mind thats it.
I want to buy a fiesta! I say that after test driving many cars and spending many weeks or months thinking about which car to buy(in my budget of course). The sx4 comes very close in terms of VFM but I don't want to go down that road again and get sleepless nights not being able to decide

So I think I'll just wait another month but it's gonna be painful and really long since I've been wanting to buy a new car for so long and I've been saving up for it for the moment when I can afford it.
Old 14th May 2008, 23:54   #14
BHPian

Well in that case i suggest you wait. I presume that since you are replacing your Accent with a new one, in all probability you will opt for the top of the line Fiesta 1.6 SXi. I also have a feeling that if atall the new Fiesta is launched, Ford may offer certain goodies (read that as certain features as standard) only in the 1.6 petrol version and may be the same features as option in the base 1.4 petrol version, inorder to keep the price under check. If atall you opting for the 1.4 then may aswell go ahead and buy the car rather then wait for long. And to spoil it further, why not think about diesel as a option and wait for the 1.6 TDCi.. just kidding dude!!

dhaval
Old 15th May 2008, 01:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Zuch,

You can easily get your booking back as long as no vehicle is registered in your name at the RTO. If you are purchasing it on a loan ask the bank not to provide the dealer with a release letter or order. If you are no where close to these steps there is absolutely no reason that the dealer cannot refund your deposit on producing the receipt and a cancellation letter (in which its not a must that you have to give a reason). In most cases if you have changed your mind and purchasing from a rival dealer, they will stake the claim on your behalf if you provide them with the documentation.

9 times out of 10, dealers without a legitimate second hand car division will rely on third parties eg. Local brokers and agencies. The column mentioning the name of the buyer of your old car is left empty as they will be selling on the car and not buying it for themselves. In this case get a statement signed by both parties that such an exchange has happened and chase the third party for legitimate documentation when he does sell your old car.

The purchase price of your old car is mostly as per Market standards. The reason the Ford Dealership is able to give a good price is mostly due to the fact that the discounts of the new car is used to hike up the price of your old one. A good way to find out is to send a friend to the same or rival Ford dealer and to haggle for a similar model without having to exchange a car. This will give you a true picture of the cars discount and what he is holding back from you.

Most Viewed